Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 AM

181 posts, read 607,505 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the FL Panhandle. Husband is due to retire from the Air Force next summer. He is currently in Logistics, has also been supervising airplane/jet maintainers. I work in the medical field, specifically as an Emergency Room CT/x-ray tech.

We are so looking forward to being back in a bigger city. We are seriously considering Metro Detroit. I lived in Dearborn Heights as a small child, Grand Rapids, and then back to Royal Oak as an adult before traveling the country following my husband's career. My husband lived in Grosse Point as a child, then Grand Rapids, then off to the military. We have family in Canton, St. Clair Shores, Harrison Twp, Waterford, some in Grand Rapids, but too much drama there.

My husband will likely work in defense as a GS, or maybe a civilian contractor, who knows? Possibly at the Detroit Arsenal, DTW, Willow Run airport. I'd like to work at Beaumont in Royal Oak, I think.

Our daughter will be 19 when we move and finishing up her community college classes before transferring to a larger university.

I can see us living in Royal Oak, Ferndale, Huntington Woods...someplace within walking distance to a good bar or brewery, good food, decent commutes, fun neighbors.

Am I crazy to come back to an area that is economically unstable-ish? To a place with such snow and terrible road maintenance? We visited this July and were so happy to be in the area, it just felt good to be back. I'm worried that I was just in a vacation/rose-colored glasses summertime in Michigan haze.

I'm also considering Seattle area (Boeing for hubs, great hospitals for me, public transportation). Philadelphia area as we spent 6 years there and I loved it.

Has anyone here lived in some other areas with decent sized cities, good quality of living, great job opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
You'll find Michigan, the economy in particular much improved since you left it. I don't think you're crazy at all. It's just December-February that you may have forgotten

Old 08-28-2014, 06:40 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Detroit would be more like the little black algae slime you try to rinse off the top of the shell but need a scrubby sponge to get it off, but because of the fact that the shell isn't smooth it is still stuck in the unevenness of the shell. So you just give up, open the oyster, scrape out the meat, find no pearl, and throw the shell in the trash.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 AM

211 posts, read 299,386 times
Winter is pure misery here. I would go to Seattle. However, if you are earning less than 100k total between the two of you, I would choose Metro Detroit vs Seattle. Why don't you look at Houston? Cost of living is about the same as Detroit yet the weather is somewhat pleasant.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 AM

181 posts, read 607,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post
Winter is pure misery here. I would go to Seattle. However, if you are earning less than 100k total between the two of you, I would choose Metro Detroit vs Seattle. Why don't you look at Houston? Cost of living is about the same as Detroit yet the weather is somewhat pleasant.
I've heard nothing but misery about Houston. I'd really like to avoid Texas.

We are also considering Louisville, KY; Charleston, SC; Nashville. If we stay in the South, we want to be in a city.

I lived in Michigan 11 years ago. I know that this past winter has been one of the worst in recent memory, and this coming winter is predicted to suck as well.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
I've heard nothing but misery about Houston. I'd really like to avoid Texas.

We are also considering Louisville, KY; Charleston, SC; Nashville. If we stay in the South, we want to be in a city.

I lived in Michigan 11 years ago. I know that this past winter has been one of the worst in recent memory, and this coming winter is predicted to suck as well.
I really like Louisville.

But, with all of your family in Michigan, I'd imagine that would be a good positive pull.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:53 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Aye matey, it be the BLACK PEARL....arggggh...

Old 08-29-2014, 09:45 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Last winter was the one of the worst on record. This winter is predicted to be milder due to El Nino. If you can stand the winters, and if your husband can find a job here, then I believe you will have a very pleasant experience. In addition to those other Woodward Corridor cities that you mentioned, you should consider Berkley, it has two quaint, vibrant commercial districts.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:12 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Misinformation,

Houston is far preferable to Detroit. Where did you hear bad things about Texas? San Antonio
is a great city. Without the winters of Detroit, without the humidity of Houston or the blazing heat of Dallas
or the miserable cold of Detroit.
Detroit traffic is as bad as Houstons' but the streets of Houston are not full of potholes like the Streetsof Detroit. San Antonio is not as congested. Streets are good, food is good, and the surrounding topography leaves a lot to do.Lots.
Automobiles do not rust in Texas, there is not a state income TAX in Texas and the winters in San ANtonio can rival Detroit's summers for great weather.
San Antone will not have the humidity of these deep south cities that you've written of here. Somebody gave you a bum steer. I would definitely reconsider, I have lived in both cities, so I have a very good idea comparatively of the differences and so am not speaking speculatively, but in facts. Any more questions?
The sun shines most everyday in San Antone. In Detroit the sunshine takes a long winters nap from December until March or even April.
QUOTE=GMonkey;36283118]I've heard nothing but misery about Houston. I'd really like to avoid Texas.

I lived in Michigan 11 years ago. I know that this past winter has been one of the worst in recent memory, and this coming winter is predicted to suck as well.[/quote]

Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 AM

211 posts, read 299,386 times
What I don't get is that Michigan folks keep thinking that "only" Michigan has nice weather 5-6 months out of the year. There are TONS of places that have nice weather for 5-6 months. Practically every place in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit