Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:33 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Atlanta does not compare to Chicago but it is miles ahead of Detroit.
What can someone in Atlanta do....that someone in Detroit cannot do? I mean in the metro area. The only places that I have been to that wowed me was on the West Coast. They have beaches, mountains, weather, recreation, clubs....they just have so much to offer. To me....Detroit cannot compete with those areas. However, compared to a place like Atlanta, land locked, no major rivers.....no palm trees.....there is nothing there that really wows me. There is nothing that Atlanta could offer me that Detroit does not....besides climate and the ability to say I live in a boom town.

Everyone is different. I voted with my feet. I lived in Detroit and Atlanta and don't live in either now. I would move back to Detroit before I move back to Atlanta, but then again, its all about economic opportunity. I like both places but I am just a Northern boy....but I would move out West if it was not so far away from family and friends. Hell....I say I could go to Cleveland and do everything that I could do in Atlanta. I do not know what people mean when they say you cannot compare two places. What are you doing every day that does not compare to what people are doing in any other city ...lol? I can tell you that if you are poor, regardless of where you are, you are limited and cannot enjoy much.

Will someone from Atlanta step up and tell me what makes your day so special and different living in Atlanta, to the degree that you cannot compare your life to someone living in Detroit? I venture to guess that your day is not that much different than the typical day of a Detroiter. If all yaw are doing is going to work every day, going to restaurants, movies, clubs here and there, attend a few plays, grocery shopping, malls, watching TV, church.....then you are doing what 90% of grown folks are doing in America and if there is something "special" about where you live....then it certainly is not reflected in your daily life....so what is the point of even being there because what you do is Anywhere America. It kills me when people act like where they live is all that and so much better and beyond comparison to another place.....but their daily lives do not reflect or demonstrate anything "special".

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-14-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 07:44 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What can someone in Atlanta do....that someone in Detroit cannot do? I mean in the metro area. The only places that I have been to that wowed me was on the West Coast. They have beaches, mountains, weather, recreation, clubs....they just have so much to offer. To me....Detroit cannot compete with those areas. However, compared to a place like Atlanta, land locked, no major rivers.....no palm trees.....there is nothing there that really wows me. There is nothing that Atlanta could offer me that Detroit does not....besides climate and the ability to say I live in a boom town.

Everyone is different. I voted with my feet. I lived in Detroit and Atlanta and don't live in either now. I would move back to Detroit before I move back to Atlanta, but then again, its all about economic opportunity. I like both places but I am just a Northern boy....but I would move out West if it was not so far away from family and friends. Hell....I say I could go to Cleveland and do everything that I could do in Atlanta. I do not know what people mean when they say you cannot compare two places. What are you doing every day that does not compare to what people are doing in any other city ...lol? I can tell you that if you are poor, regardless of where you are, you are limited and cannot enjoy much.

Will someone from Atlanta step up and tell me what makes your day so special and different living in Atlanta, to the degree that you cannot compare your life to someone living in Detroit? I venture to guess that your day is not that much different than the typical day of a Detroiter. If all yaw are doing is going to work every day, going to restaurants, movies, clubs here and there, attend a few plays, grocery shopping, malls, watching TV, church.....then you are doing what 90% of grown folks are doing in America and if there is something "special" about where you live....then it certainly is not reflected in your daily life....so what is the point of even being there because what you do is Anywhere America. It kills me when people act like where they live is all that and so much better and beyond comparison to another place.....but their daily lives do not reflect or demonstrate anything "special".
This post makes city vs city useless then. Why even post here?

Old 09-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Guys, everyone goes to work and then goes out to a bar or show so all cities that have that are similar. Detroit and Atlanta are the same to everyone, so close the thread.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:54 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
I would move back to Detroit before I move back to Atlanta, but then again, its all about economic opportunity.
That's a terrible reason to pick Detroit. Atlanta has much better economic opportunity.

Quote:
I like both places but I am just a Northern boy
Now that is a valid reason to choose Detroit.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:43 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
That's a terrible reason to pick Detroit. Atlanta has much better economic opportunity.

Now that is a valid reason to choose Detroit.
Do you care to elaborate on how Metro Atlanta is miles ahead of Metro Detroit?

Also, Metro Atlanta's unemployment rate isn't that much better than Metro Detroit's.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:26 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
This post makes city vs city useless then. Why even post here?
Not everyone who posts in city vs city has an e-peen to grow. There are enough differences in US cities that make them unique to each other, but generally it's not enough to make it impossible to keep the same lifestyle in any of them with maybe only a few minor adjustments.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:12 AM

88 posts, read 107,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Seems like Atlanta's been on your mind a lot lately, even to the point of being active in another city's forum to make comments about it. You getting sick of Miami and thinking about moving? We'd love to have you!
77? I could never live in Atlanta because I need the Ocean. What is funny is that the attitude people from Atlanta have as if the city thought they were the best thing since sliced bread.
It isn't.
It's a rivalry yet Atlanta isn't even in Miami's league at all.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
It is very amusing to see the Atlanta folks being so shocked and horrified at this comparison. Of course Detroit proper doesn't compare well to any city, including Atlanta. But I think some of the responses on this thread do show the ignorance that people have nationally about what it is like in Metro Detroit as a whole. It certainly is not the hellhole that most people envision. But I've learned in life that most people aren't really interested in the truth when it comes to things like this. Having stereotypes and preconceived notions is much more fun.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:06 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
I have never caste aspersion upon Atlanta. I have praise for Atlanta.....but in comparison to Detroit.....I just do not see what the big deal is about Atlanta. To me Atlanta is just the trendy place to relocate to...."Everybody is doing it"...type of thing and people want to be part of the in crowd. It's shiny and new...and humans are attracted to shiny things....but all that glitters is not gold.

Really, when one lives in a big city in America, for the most part they are comparable. Where you get the difference comes from juxtaposing small cities with big cities... then you will find many opportunities to do things just do not exist at all or to the same frequency in small towns as in big cities. However, if they are not the kind of things that a person partakes in anyway......the point is moot. Comparing Detroit and Atlanta is not small city vs big city. Its big city/metro vs big city/metro.

I kind of think that the pattern is that the bigger and better the skyline, the better people think their city is compared to another. When people want to impress you with their city......they show you pictures of the skyline. Thus, a person will juxtapose Atlanta's skyline against Detroit's and think....."there is no comparison". I would agree that Atlanta has a more modern and impressive looking skyline than Detroit, but skylines do not completely define an area. I like skylines too....but more than that I like an area with NATURAL amenities and beauty like Mountains, Oceans, beeches, Rivers, Lakes.....and Atlanta has few if any of those things in significance.

What I am here to say is that I actually liked Detroit better than Atlanta....and that is a subjective opinion. I am not saying that Detroit is better than Atlanta. I just think that people in Atlanta feel they are part of some "Movement". To live in Atlanta is to be on the cutting edge, sophisticated, trendy, cosmopolitan, avant garde and the like. In other words, Atlanta is a "Mental state of mind" as much as it is a physical place. Thus, when one lives in Atlanta their state of mind is to see themselves above others in different places, and hence, they are taken aback by the suggestion of being compared to.......DETROIT, which, quite honestly, they take as an insult for even suggestion there is a comparison....lol. They see comparing Atlanta to Detroit to be akin to comparing a movie star to a bum standing near an exit ramp with a sign asking for spare change....lol.....and they refuse to hear that the "bum" has as much net worth....lol......despite all the movie stars "pomp".

True, Detroit city proper is in hard times, but it is not a microcosm of metropolitan Detroit. The difference between metro Detroit and Detroit is like night and day. Most metro areas are mostly suburbs and not the principle city. So what is this fixation on comparing cities while ignoring that most people live outside these cities.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-15-2014 at 06:25 AM..

Old 09-15-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
To me Atlanta is just the trendy place to relocate to...."Everybody is doing it"...type of thing and people want to be part of the in crowd.
Quote:
I just think that people in Atlanta feel they are part of some "Movement". To live in Atlanta is to be on the cutting edge, sophisticated, trendy, cosmopolitan, avant garde and the like.

Where on earth do you get this stuff? A movement? " Everyone is doing it"? Who is saying and doing all this for Atlanta?

People always try to make Atlanta seem overrated on city-data, but I never actually see Atlanta being rated at all in real life. Who on earth is boosting Atlanta to this level in real life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit