Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:22 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I do not want GM to leave.....but lets be honest....GM has been "leaving" little by little for decades. Just ask Flint. I am a advocate of Detroit and Michigan....why would I want them to leave? Why, when GM has divested so much from Michigan and invested so much elsewhere.....is this a "sky is falling" proposition? I am bullish on Michigan.....it has a lot of things going for itself.....but GM is a company that I see as "insecure"....and more and more it seems to be looking to run from itself....or the old GM....with is Detroit.
If I didn't spend 50-60 hrs a week balls deep in dealings with GM I might have the same impression. They are investing billions into facilities in Michigan. Manufacturing yes, but the biggest investments are coming in the R&D and Engineering sectors which are very favorable. They aren't faltering at all, business has never been better. They aren't leaving Michigan, you are interpreting this move wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 12:07 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
If I didn't spend 50-60 hrs a week balls deep in dealings with GM I might have the same impression. They are investing billions into facilities in Michigan. Manufacturing yes, but the biggest investments are coming in the R&D and Engineering sectors which are very favorable. They aren't faltering at all, business has never been better. They aren't leaving Michigan, you are interpreting this move wrong.
Time will tell.....I hope you have more sense than I do on this one....lol.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:27 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
The industry has never had any allegiance to Detroit and apparently many people chose not to recognize that.

GM

Old 09-23-2014, 04:55 PM

544 posts, read 901,009 times
For people like me who moved to Metro Detroit from elsewhere, you realize that Michigan is a unique car market. I think that the car makers here have lost touch with what Americans really want in a vehicle and I think some outside influence will only help. The foreign vs import car mindset doesn't exist elsewhere in this country.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:25 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,747 times
Am I the only one here thinking that the new Cadillac Headquarters in Soho will be a Headquarters in name, but in reality will be something between an exhibition hall and a boutique?

I think that Cadillac's problem is that in styling their vehicles to look more like the German and Japanese luxury marques, and giving their products meaningless three-capital-letter names more suited to slide projector bulbs, they are producing products with no image of their own. Perhaps some people out there really want an Eldorado or a Sedan DeVille, only with high performance, high quality, and all the latest technological gizmos.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:06 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I agree with you on the three letter identifiers. I preferred the names, especially when they were written in fancy cursive. I used to be able to identify the models, but not anymore. I'm also not a fan of the sharp angle Transformer look.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Am I the only one here thinking that the new Cadillac Headquarters in Soho will be a Headquarters in name, but in reality will be something between an exhibition hall and a boutique?

I think that Cadillac's problem is that in styling their vehicles to look more like the German and Japanese luxury marques, and giving their products meaningless three-capital-letter names more suited to slide projector bulbs, they are producing products with no image of their own. Perhaps some people out there really want an Eldorado or a Sedan DeVille, only with high performance, high quality, and all the latest technological gizmos.
You're pretty much spot on. The whole point is to give the appearance. In terms of the 3 letter Identifiers, pretty much everyone has gone to that scheme. Lincoln with whatever MK bs variants they have, and Chrysler with the 200, 300 and soon to be 100. I've even seen protos where the town and country was called the 700.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:22 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Turns out we are not alone: Cadillac's Marketing Boss Isn't A Fan Of The Three Letter Names - Cadillac News - CheersandGears.com

Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 AM

603 posts, read 877,616 times
The Cadillac division really is in flux right now. Their sales are down as a whole, and their newest models (the ATS and CTS) are down double digits in sales YTD (by percentage). On the flip side, the German competition and Lexus are up double digits. Add that to the relocation of their HQ and the new naming convention and you have a brand that is a bit lost.

I believe I read this is being done mainly because the guy they poached from Infiniti simply wants to live in Manhattan instead of metro Detroit. The explanations they've given to the press about "being in a more cosmopolitan city that knows luxury" is all marketing fluff.

GM has had a lot of potential with Cadillac but as typical of GM, their management and bureaucracy is getting in the way. Let's just say that my family and I have a lot of history with GM and have learned through first-hand experience what a crooked company it is. I'll never touch anything they produce in my lifetime (though I may consider a Ford). There's no reason to either given how good our German and Japanese vehicles have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit