Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 PM

53 posts, read 72,767 times

Advertisements

I lived in Michigan for the first 35 years of my life. I no longer live in the state. However, I still follow all the current events that take place in the Metro-Detroit area. Many of my co-workers have been asking me why did Detroit go bankrupt. Can anybody please provide me with a short paragraph (no more than four or five simple moderately-sized sentences) that summarize the main causes of Motown's financial woes? Mind you, my co-workers have NEVER visited Michigan and know very little regarding the history/politics of Detroit.

All help will be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Steve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 PM

123 posts, read 199,609 times
Most of the jobs moved to the suburbs decades ago. Most of the middle and upper class moved to the suburbs decades ago. The Downtown stadium district, River area and Midtown are in great shape and a hand full of elite neighborhoods also. But that's about it.

Oh, and btw, millions of folks living in the suburbs of Detroit are prosperous and safe. But that's not a sexy story. So it gets ignored by the media. So be it.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:11 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
1) Declining manufacturing jobs throughout the 2000s which contributed to a shrinking population and tax base, 2) the housing crash of 2008 which absolutely devastated the already declining city in a very short amount of time which meant the city government had to cut many services very quickly, and 3) to cover the deficit, the city began taking out loans (which only added debt) which after a short while caused the state of Michigan the step in and take financial control city. 4) It was soon discovered that pension obligations were vastly underestimated and underfunded (as well as just general inaccuracies in the budget) at which point bankruptcy seemed like the only solution to somehow right the city's budget.

There were a few other factors and events, but I think those are the general ones.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:59 AM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
While the previous posters made valid points, the same things happened in just about every other major city. I think that what is unique to Detroit is that "outward mobility" is more prevalent in Detroit than elsewhere. The auto industry created many well paying jobs which allowed Detroiters to move out of the city. Detroit once had the highest per capita income of any American city. This began the tradition of single family homes (which Detroit has the highest percentage of than any American city) on large lots in suburban-type settings. Not to mention that in the "Motor City", nearly everyone owned a car and wasn't restricted to living in the city by dependence on public transportation.

In other words...Detroit's success led to its downfall.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:03 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMichiganman View Post
I lived in Michigan for the first 35 years of my life. I no longer live in the state. However, I still follow all the current events that take place in the Metro-Detroit area. Many of my co-workers have been asking me why did Detroit go bankrupt. Can anybody please provide me with a short paragraph (no more than four or five simple moderately-sized sentences) that summarize the main causes of Motown's financial woes? Mind you, my co-workers have NEVER visited Michigan and know very little regarding the history/politics of Detroit.

All help will be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Steve.
Well basically, Detroit went bankrupt due to the lack of social and economic foresight by its incompetent, self-serving and corrupt leadership.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
While the previous posters made valid points, the same things happened in just about every other major city. I think that what is unique to Detroit is that "outward mobility" is more prevalent in Detroit than elsewhere. The auto industry created many well paying jobs which allowed Detroiters to move out of the city. Detroit once had the highest per capita income of any American city. This began the tradition of single family homes (which Detroit has the highest percentage of than any American city) on large lots in suburban-type settings. Not to mention that in the "Motor City", nearly everyone owned a car and wasn't restricted to living in the city by dependence on public transportation.

In other words...Detroit's success led to its downfall.
While yes, other places did lose some amount job loss and city-to-suburb migration, Michigan indisputably lost the most jobs in the nation in the last decade.

Ohio job loss second only to Michigan since 2000 | cleveland.com

Quote:
Of the 50 states, only Michigan, with its "unprecedented, Depression-level" loss of 496,900 jobs since 2000, or 10.5 percent of its work force, exceeded Ohio's decline of 213,300 jobs.
Even as people were leaving the city for the suburbs in years prior, the city government for the most part was still able to manage the budget until spending began to outrun revenue.

All Eyes on Detroit - Govistics by CGR Blog

More accurately, the graph should say $1.3 billion in revenue for 2009, but either way 90% of Detroit's current debt was accumulated within the last decade. That includes pension obligations and interest on loans.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:42 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Erosion of tax infrastructure, depletion of revenue. Politicians not reacting quick enough, not reacting at all, or using city coffers to bankroll lifestyles. Huge pensions obligations, city depts that were overstaffed and employees that were payed twice as much for the same job done in other cities. The corruption existed on every level, and staffers were given sweetheart deals. There are so many levels that lead the city to where it is now.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:30 PM

53 posts, read 72,767 times
Thanks for all the info everybody!

Sincerely,

Steve.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:44 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Well basically, Detroit went bankrupt due to the lack of social and economic foresight by its incompetent, self-serving and corrupt leadership.
This is pretty good for one sentence. I knew you were going to hit the nail on the head .

animatedmartian:The total revenue actually increased since 2009? I wonder how that happened.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 AM

I'm not sure if the revenue totals includes money that comes in from loans, but I think that's when the city started taking out loans to cover the deficit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: