Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:00 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,864,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Where does the average Detroit resident buy groceries other than Glory foods or the Meijer on 8-Mile (almost in the burbs.

Isn't $750 a lot on the low side? As for frightening the newbies, Farmington is not DETROIT.
Inkster is more dangerous than Detroit? SERIOUSLY?? Crime is average? Compared to what, Kabul? LOL
Alright, here you go: Mapping The Strait go to this section
The Food Grasslands of Detroit

This may be a couple of years old but "According the State of Michigan, Detroit has 111 full-service grocery stores, 58 butchers/fish markets, 34 bakeries, 20 produce markets, and 35 specialty stores"

This may give you an idea of where people shop for grocery's other than big chain stores that are MEANT to be in the suburbs. And unless the OP plans on grocery shopping damn near every day, I don't see the what the big deal is even if you do have to drive a few miles every other week (oh the horror ).

I actually found a couple of 2 bedroom apartments in Troy in the $750-$850 price range. Like I said, it is on the low end but if they look hard enough they might find a decent place.

Ok, show me where I said Inkster is more dangerous than Detroit? I could care less about Inkster let alone it's safety issues tbh. I was just simply giving her a list of places where crime is higher than average overall, geesh . Outside of those cities, crime is average overall. But don't take it from me, here you go http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Michigan.html find me another city that ranked higher than average on that map. Like I said, in Detroit, Inkster, Ecorse, River Rouge, and Pontiac, the crime is higher overall. The crime is average - low overall in every other city. Oh, sorry I missed one, Harper Woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 07:17 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,144,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Where does the average Detroit resident buy groceries other than Glory foods or the Meijer on 8-Mile (almost in the burbs.
This is an ignorant statement and question. There are plenty of grocery stores in the city of Detroit. However, there are no CHAIN GROCERY STORES (Krogers, Hiller's, Busch's, Meijer's). There are many, many independent grocery stores.

For example, I live in the Grand River/Greenfield area, and there are 3 full-service grocery stores within 1.5 miles of my house.

In addition, concerning nothing being open after 6 pm - there are Rite Aids, CVS's and Walgreen's all over the city, There are pizza places (independent and chain) in many neighborhoods, as well Coney Island restaurants. There are some restaurants (mostly take-out soul food and Chinese) and the occasional bar. Gas stations and liquor stores are also open late into the night

CONCERNING THE OP's question, try the suburbs of Farmington Hills, Troy and Madison Heights - there are Indians living in these communities. There are Indians that live in Midtown Detroit, but they are mostly students at Wayne State University. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE RAISE YOUR HOUSING BUDGET.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:03 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,864,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
This is an ignorant statement and question. There are plenty of grocery stores in the city of Detroit. However, there are no CHAIN GROCERY STORES (Krogers, Hiller's, Busch's, Meijer's). There are many, many independent grocery stores.

For example, I live in the Grand River/Greenfield area, and there are 3 full-service grocery stores within 1.5 miles of my house.

In addition, concerning nothing being open after 6 pm - there are Rite Aids, CVS's and Walgreen's all over the city, There are pizza places (independent and chain) in many neighborhoods, as well Coney Island restaurants. There are some restaurants (mostly take-out soul food and Chinese) and the occasional bar. Gas stations and liquor stores are also open late into the night

CONCERNING THE OP's question, try the suburbs of Farmington Hills, Troy and Madison Heights - there are Indians living in these communities. There are Indians that live in Midtown Detroit, but they are mostly students at Wayne State University. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE RAISE YOUR HOUSING BUDGET.
On top of that, Detroit's second Meijer store will be opening up next year about 3 miles NW of you on Grand River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit