Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 9,010 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer from GM in Detroit and I'm wondering if I should consider it. I'm a new grad from a Big 10 school in the Midwest and this position is in the exact field I want to enter (powertrain engineering) It'd be about 60-70k a year which is an average entry-level wage for my field. The problem: I'm afraid that I wouldn't like the area.

I'm in my mid 20's and my ideal living place has a lot of people in my age range, cool bars and restaurants, and a solid live music scene. A walkable area but not really a fan of large cities (I dislike Chicago, Pittsburgh, and New York for their terrible traffic, dirty streets, and people everywhere).

My idea is that I could maybe take the job and work for a year or 2 to break into the field and get some experience, and then ditch out West (where I'm originally from, California).

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 02:38 PM

211 posts, read 299,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenphase View Post
I have a job offer from GM in Detroit and I'm wondering if I should consider it. I'm a new grad from a Big 10 school in the Midwest and this position is in the exact field I want to enter (powertrain engineering) It'd be about 60-70k a year which is an average entry-level wage for my field. The problem: I'm afraid that I wouldn't like the area.

I'm in my mid 20's and my ideal living place has a lot of people in my age range, cool bars and restaurants, and a solid live music scene. A walkable area but not really a fan of large cities (I dislike Chicago, Pittsburgh, and New York for their terrible traffic, dirty streets, and people everywhere).

My idea is that I could maybe take the job and work for a year or 2 to break into the field and get some experience, and then ditch out West (where I'm originally from, California).

What do you guys think?
If you are from out west, chances are you wouldn't like it here. I remember my time out in undergrad at Umich, all the West Coast people were dying to leave ASAP.

Regardless, you should come and visit.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:42 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Getting experience here for a couple of years would be good. After that your opinion of the area will likely be more clear and then you can decide whether to stay or go.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:10 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
I would take the job - for the advancement of your career. Sometimes it makes sense to take a position not based solely off immediate satisfaction if it leads your career trajectory to soar. Go into it with an open attitude and the skies the limit. It's the positive people who get promoted not the ones counting down the days until their next transfer/move - because they don't get involved.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:27 PM

723 posts, read 806,028 times
Someone else is ready to take that job if you hesitate and you shouldn't blame anyone for that.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:44 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,863,133 times
We moved here for good engineering work. If the field that you desire is powertrain engineering, then this is THE place to be! If your job will be at the GM Tech Center, you could live in Royal Oak. If you get work at Toyota, you could live in Ann Arbor. Both are great places for twenty-somethings. Lucky you! Take it!

Old 10-27-2014, 11:46 PM

603 posts, read 877,422 times
Aside from Royal Oak and Ann Arbor, metro Detroit doesn't have many walkable tight-knit communities honestly. But if you feel that it is the right job for you at this time in your life then you should take it.

My only concern for you is GM itself. I know this is getting off-topic but lord is it a terrible company. When I lived in Michigan I had close family and friends who were engineers and they said it was the worst most bureaucratic company. I'm not too sure how things have changed post-bankruptcy but the recent ignition switch scandal makes me feel that GM is the same it's always been.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:45 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
Aside from Royal Oak and Ann Arbor, metro Detroit doesn't have many walkable tight-knit communities honestly. But if you feel that it is the right job for you at this time in your life then you should take it.

My only concern for you is GM itself. I know this is getting off-topic but lord is it a terrible company. When I lived in Michigan I had close family and friends who were engineers and they said it was the worst most bureaucratic company. I'm not too sure how things have changed post-bankruptcy but the recent ignition switch scandal makes me feel that GM is the same it's always been.
GM is a good company to work for, automotive in general tends to be a bit bureacratic regardless if you're at an OEM or a parts supplier. Recalls are a good form of theatre, media frenzied and overly cautious because of lawsuits. Every auto maker has to go through bad press from time to time. Because of the media frenzy over this last year they are releasing every and any potential possible problem they might think of. The other automakers are doing it too, they are just timing it to be right behind the GM ones so they don't get as much coverage.

Right now engineers are HOT in demand especially in Michigan. If you don't want to live in the Detroit area then keep looking, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor ect... You can go a lot of places with an Engineering degree. The problem is almost all Engineering jobs are away from the cool city centers and out in the burbs, especially with your specific field desires. There are definitely automotive related jobs near Chicago and other "cool" cities. But they are so far out from the core that you'd have either an hour commute, or live in the suburbs which end up looking just like the Detroit area anyway. Take the good money and enjoy the fabulous cost of living, build your resume and go anywhere!

Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 AM

211 posts, read 299,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post

I agree on this. There are tons of EE jobs on the west coast, ie SD SF and Seattle. I think those cities are much more fun for 20 somethings vs Metro Detroit.

Regardless, you should visit. The places in Metro Detroit that young people live are: Ann Arbor (the best but 40 miles away from Detroit), Royal Oak/Ferndale and pockets in the city of Detroit (ie corktown, midtown and downtown).

Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
We moved here for good engineering work. If the field that you desire is powertrain engineering, then this is THE place to be! If your job will be at the GM Tech Center, you could live in Royal Oak. If you get work at Toyota, you could live in Ann Arbor. Both are great places for twenty-somethings. Lucky you! Take it!
I agree! From your description, you would enjoy Ann Arbor, Royal Oak or even downtown Plymouth area. Rent for a few years and see if you like the area. It does have it's pros and cons like any other place. But career experience and advancement is priceless, when you are young and starting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit