Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 02:45 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,555,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
It's clear Detroit needs MORE bashing based on some of the replies here. Until people get it through their thick heads that progress begins by removing the squatters that begets crime and dangerous housing that's spread through the city like cancer and has undermined even the most basic of municipal services there's no way it will improve throughout.

Pockets are showing drastic improvement because no one is standing in their way ... the undesirables have left, some completely, others relocating and doubling or tripling up for affordability purposes. Bravo! This basic observation is so startlingly apparent that it amazes me it gets lost on some.

I applaud Duggan's efforts and believe most do as well. People are tired of hearing the 'there must be a better way' mentality. Guess what, there isn't. There hasn't been one credible, realistic alternative, only the wha wha of liberal mentality whining and blaming at every opportunity, long on false bravado, short on solutions.

It might sound inhumane when it comes to forcing relocation but if you really care about Detroit's future my only response is tough sh**. It's time to get the city moving in the right direction and get those front loaders moving!
There's no area of Detroit that's seen property values jump because of the eviction of squatters. And if they're squatting, affordability wouldn't be an issue and there wouldn't be a reason to move if they're not paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 03:28 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,972,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Since when is bashing a solution to any problem? Okay, bashing is the RW "solution" to any problem, but it only demonstrates that you yourself have zero ideas but it serves to make you feel good about yourself.
I can't imagine why one, especially an outsider, would get their jollies from bashing another city, but since you know, why not share?
As to your "observation" cited above, I don't believe you "observe" anything and Fox/Limbaugh/RW media talking points are not an "observation". My understanding is that Duggan is being somewhat flexible and his agenda is not yet complete. Not callous, painful, or punitive enough for you perhaps?
So in your RW book, Detroit needs even more bashing than you have doled out. Some "solutions" you have. Amazing.
Thanks for proving my point. Singularly not one idea, solution, or recommendation on righting Detroit other than more of your droll, continuous, incessant whining.

The mayor is doing something, and something positively. Live with it.

Originating this post wasn't designed to impune Detroit much as you wish to believe, rather a point of fact about its current situation and possible course.

Last edited by actinic; 10-31-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 03:31 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,972,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
There's no area of Detroit that's seen property values jump because of the eviction of squatters. And if they're squatting, affordability wouldn't be an issue and there wouldn't be a reason to move if they're not paying.
Really? So your conclusion is that areas that become gentrified thanks to the absence/removal of squatters will continue to see declining or flat lined property values just because that's the way its been?

Old 10-31-2014, 03:43 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,555,774 times
Quote:
Really? So your conclusion is that areas that become gentrified thanks to the absence/removal of squatters will continue to see declining or flat lined property values just because that's the way its been?
No area has become gentrified because of the removal of squatters. That's what I'm saying.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:40 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,650,199 times
Well....let me just say this....a lot of people have their eyes on Detroit and what is happening to the poor people, who are mostly African Americans, by the way. Who thinks that the African American community and their organizations are going to sit still for the mass eviction of over a hundred thousand people? I have read publications from many prominent black national organizations who have their eye on Detroit, the nations largest majority black city....and they do not like what is going on. So good luck with that plan....and all you hopefuls looking to "cleanse" the city are going to be greatly disappointed. The optics are just too 1950's ish. The new white mayor, first in 40 years, along with new white investors and residents looking to revitalize the city and to do so they must evict some 142000 people, 90% of whom are probably black.....oh hell no!

I have always been optimistic and bullish about Detroit's revitalization and the return of whites to the city of Detroit. However, I would rather the city never revitalize if this is what revitalization is going to look like. The optics are strait out of the 50's and 60's and unless those leading the efforts to bring Detroit "back" do something to change the reality that the optics are showing.....efforts to revitalize are going to face new hurdles.

A side of me sees the need to lower the black population to get control of the politics and elected officials. There is no confidence in black leadership and economics requires confidence. That is why Duggan is in office now....to change perceptions and to instill confidence. But what is his future if he evicts and cuts off water to so many people......a one term mayor....and then the masses will vote someone in again that is friendlier to the poor....and then the business community and the suburbs will lose confidence in the city again and the revitalization will slow. So I do not think it wise at all to go ahead with this plan.....it's far too draconian on such a scale.

People do not like to talk about the issue of race on the Detroit forum.....but race defines the problems of the area and has for a long time. You are not going to have mass evictions of black people.....at the hands of white leadership.....think of Ferguson, Mo, really........the optics is what caused the civil disturbance because it looked to much like the "old America"...and the community will not stand for it. If you want the mass eviction of black people....you better have black people doing it (the evictions) and not white leadership.

http://www.blackagendareport.com/node/14482

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 10-31-2014 at 07:50 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,902,703 times
Quote:
Thanks for proving my point. Singularly not one idea, solution, or recommendation on righting Detroit other than more of your droll, continuous, incessant whining.

The mayor is doing something, and something positively. Live with it.

Originating this post wasn't designed to impune Detroit much as you wish to believe, rather a point of fact about its current situation and possible course.
"Impugning" Detroit and its minority residents under the phony pretense of "constructive criticism" is all you know or have done. Even your RW media heroes whine about who's to "blame" about Detroit, or any other problem, but with nary a solution offered - see the pattern? You fool no one - IMO "righting" Detroit is not your agenda any more than it is for your RW media heroes who believe bashing big "liberal" cities can create political points.

I have expressed my wish that the new government can resolve the long-festering decades-long issues of this manufacturing-dependent city caused in large part by industry, RW politics, and your job-outsourcing heroes in both private and public sectors. A non-progressive city government has a share of the blame for being confused, clueless, impotent, and oblivious to what was happening.
Extremely easy, and apparently satisfying, to heap coded blame upon Detroit's minority citizens - your long track record which I am well aware of, and also straight from the RW media script. As for real solutions, you yourself and the RW have had no clue - zilch.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 10-31-2014 at 10:48 PM..

Old 11-01-2014, 03:55 AM

Besides.....don't cities get a certain amount of dollars for every person counted in the census? That was my understanding and one of the reasons that Detroit, before Dave Bing, sought to have every resident counted by making efforts to inform residents of the importance of it. From my last understanding, it was about 10,000 per resident, over ten years I believe. So if they evicted all these people and these people left the city, hypothetically, the city stands to LOSE a Billion dollars over 10 years. How is that going to help the budget? Detroit revenue shrinks when the population shrinks....and you still have 135 square miles of city to service. I call BS.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:18 AM

20,969 posts, read 19,434,375 times
The article is not about evicting people from the city; it's about evicting people from their homes. They can still live in the city: either rent or buy a new home. Not so hard to do with houses going for $500.

They certainly can't expect to move to a suburb and attempt to not pay their taxes. They will end up back in Detroit where tax evasion is tolerated (and arguably celebrated ).

So there is no reason for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to jump on their private jets and head to Detroit.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The article is not about evicting people from the city; it's about evicting people from their homes. They can still live in the city: either rent or buy a new home. Not so hard to do with houses going for $500.

They certainly can't expect to move to a suburb and attempt to not pay their taxes. They will end up back in Detroit where tax evasion is tolerated (and arguably celebrated ).

So there is no reason for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to jump on their private jets and head to Detroit.
I fully understand that. I was just responding to some of the commentary. That said...what is the point of collecting property taxes on a 500 dollar house? How is that going to save the city? It's like income taxes....when your income is very low....you essentially pay no taxes on your income....the same should hold true for property taxes....when your home is worth very little....you should not have to pay. Its a regressive tax that impacts the poor. The poor should have the right to home ownership. If you are just not paying your taxes because you can get away with it....then yes....the threat of eviction is might what be needed to collect the money.

In regards to Jesse and Al......just so long as people know that any desires to "cleanse" Detroit based upon race and class will cause civil unrest....especially with the current optics.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:01 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,227,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I fully understand that. I was just responding to some of the commentary. That said...what is the point of collecting property taxes on a 500 dollar house? How is that going to save the city? It's like income taxes....when your income is very low....you essentially pay no taxes on your income....the same should hold true for property taxes....when your home is worth very little....you should not have to pay. Its a regressive tax that impacts the poor. The poor should have the right to home ownership. If you are just not paying your taxes because you can get away with it....then yes....the threat of eviction is might what be needed to collect the money.

In regards to Jesse and Al......just so long as people know that any desires to "cleanse" Detroit based upon race and class will cause civil unrest....especially with the current optics.
They would get back a large share if not ALL of their property tax money if they file the homestead tax credit.

But, if the just spend the money.......that is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit