U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 07:44 AM

107 posts, read 113,294 times

Advertisements

It's been almost a decade in the making, but I'm finally making a trip back! I really do miss Detroit's food scene, some of the best food in the country, so we plan to pack as much food into our stomachs that we can in half a day. I almost always plan a trip to the north side for Eddie's and Sara's, but am curious what your other favorite neighborhood haunts are. I've heard of some buzz around downtown (like downtown downtown) on Woodward a couple years ago. Is that still happening? I'm curious to see to what you guys have been up to over the past several years, but I know there's some neighborhood staples that I'm I've missed too. Old haunts, new haunts, all are welcome. I've talked up this town across America for years and I've set quite the expectation to my wife, though she's never been, so I absolutely have to deliver!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 PM

3,668 posts, read 4,741,905 times
I'll give you a few local spots that I can think of.

Rub Pub BBQ downtown
Pizza Papalis also downtown
The Coney Islands of course
City Wings on Grand BLVD
Motor city soul food on 7 mile and Meyers
Royal BBQ Pizza on Mt. Elliott off of I-94
Viki's BBQ & Shrimp near Warren and Grand BLVD

There are so many but I'm in a rush to go out and, well, eat with some friends lol. What I named is just a very small piece of Detroit's food scene.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:11 AM

5,739 posts, read 5,991,011 times
Most people don't know about this. Only a few places have it so far. Little Caesars' and Jets' square pies are not authentic (for one thing, a special brick cheese, not mozzarella, should be used).
Detroit-style pizza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Detroit-style pizza gaining fame, winning fans nationwide | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Old 11-22-2014, 07:26 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,208,853 times
For Dessert you have to go to the Astoria Bakery in Greektown.....THE best.....

Old 11-22-2014, 05:34 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,747,447 times
Some good sliders at green dot stable

Old 11-23-2014, 06:29 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,208,853 times
Default In Hamtramck..great food!!!

The Official Website: Polish Village Cafe

Old 11-24-2014, 12:46 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,247,111 times
If you want to get REAL neighborhoody, then try the POLLOS LOS GALLOS (Mexican Smoked/Grilled Chicken Joint) on Junction near Vernor Highway. The chicken will blow you away. Taqueria Lupita's is also good.

Mudgie's on Porter Street in Corktown is a fantastic sandwich/soup restaurant.

Slows BBQ is one of the most popular restaurants in the metro area - a new Slows-to-Go restaurant opened about a year ago on Cass, because the original one in Corktown is also full and requires an hour long wait.

I really liked a restaurant in the NEW CENTER area that opened in April/May - the restaurant is called Zenith - it is a fusion of Mexican and Southern cuisines. It is in the Fishing Building.

For the best chicken wings you can't beat Sweetwater Tavern in downtown. For chicken and waffles, the New Center Eatery is the place to go. For fried Turkey Legs, I recommend the Turkey Grill on Woodward in New Center (get this to go).

Union Street on Woodward in Midtown is a long-time stable.

Honest John's, a restaurant/bar on Selden street in Midtown, is also a pretty good spot.

Many of the non-urban suburbs and urban suburbs of Detroit have great restaurants, too. Just walk around Royal Oak, Ferndale, or Birmingham and you'll find something you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or