Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you think Mayor Mike Duggan is doing so far?
Excellent, where has he been all of this time? 7 31.82%
Good 14 63.64%
OK 1 4.55%
Poor, he needs to get the hell out of office NOW! 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:29 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times

Advertisements

How do you guys think the new mayor is doing so far? Do you think he is making more progress faster than previous mayors? Do you agree with much of the things that he is trying to do with the city? Do you believe he is the right guy for the job?

I also found this video Flashpoint: Mayor Mike Duggan talks 2015 in Detroit | Flashpoint - Home it pretty much talks about his 2015 plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 08:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
" Do you think he is making more progress faster than previous mayors?"

No. That is essentially impossible. He was mayor in name only until very recently. There was no way he could make progress because he and the council were not really in charge.

"Do you agree with much of the things that he is trying to do with the city?"

Some of them, some not. In some regards, I think he is not going far enough. Too busy trying to play politics and ensure future elections. Can't fault him for that but I wish we had someone with no concern for getting re-elected or launching a political career. Sometimes it is obvious what needs to be done, but they cannot even say it let alone try to do it becuase it would be political suicide.

"Do you believe he is the right guy for the job?"
Not sure there is THE right guy for the job. He certainly seems the best option out of the pool of people interested and able to get elected (Although I never believed he had a chance of getting elected). If he can stop worrying about politics and get the backing of the council he certianly has the potential to be one of the greatest mayors in decades.

"I also found this video Flashpoint: Mayor Mike Duggan talks 2015 in Detroit | Flashpoint - Home" it pretty much talks about his 2015 plans."

Mostly fluff IMO. Politicians use broad vague statements that can mean anything or nothing. Regardless, they can say anything they want and do something completely different. Lets see what he DOES. He seems to be on the right track in many regards. Coordination between agencies is a key to restoring a city. Spends a lot of time talking about things he cannot do anything about.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:16 PM

723 posts, read 805,775 times
I do not have all the data but from what I'm seeing, he made progress because at least breaking this rampant nepotist culture that people love so much in Detroit and its suburbs.
Other thing that is hard to understand is this. Former Mayor Bing was cutting in every thing even in transportation, he reduced the number of city buses and he reduced the number of police officers. Curiously when Duggan come in, the city started hiring more police officers and the number of city bus increased.
Why is that ?

Old 01-11-2015, 07:27 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
I do not have all the data but from what I'm seeing, he made progress because at least breaking this rampant nepotist culture that people love so much in Detroit and its suburbs.
Other thing that is hard to understand is this. Former Mayor Bing was cutting in every thing even in transportation, he reduced the number of city buses and he reduced the number of police officers. Curiously when Duggan come in, the city started hiring more police officers and the number of city bus increased.
Why is that ?
The bankruptcy.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:32 PM

I think the bankruptcy may have played a part in improving some of the services in the city. Just as some people thought years ago, a Detroit bankruptcy may be a blessing in disguise. Too bad the city's image had to take yet another L.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:51 PM

12 posts, read 26,936 times
The Detroit bankruptcy was a blessing, no disguise. I know that there are people and organizations that were hurt by the bankruptcy, but it allowed the city to unencumber itself from a good deal of it's crushing debt. This will be the turning point for the city going forward.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:28 AM

Didn't want to start a bunch of threads so I thought I'll just put some stories on here.

Detroit residents offered interest-free loans for home repairs | MLive.com

A penny in the jar but great for residents, property value, and beautification.

11 programs Mayor Duggan is using to impact Detroit | MLive.com

Mayor Mike Duggan wants law to reduce Detroit's $3,600 per year average auto insurance cost | MLive.com

He was also the only US elected official on "World's Greatest Leader's" list. I don't pay much attention to these list but I thought that was interesting. Keyvn Orr made that list too.

Mayor Mike Duggan only U.S. elected official on 'world's greatest leaders' list | MLive.com

Old 03-30-2015, 09:00 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
Things are turning around, not all credit goes to Duggan but he is helping

Old 03-30-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Things are turning around, not all credit goes to Duggan but he is helping
I think as of right now most of the credit still goes to people like Dan Gilbert.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:15 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
He has a lot going against him.

Just look at what happened to Archer. I think he was the best Detroit Mayor in my memory until now. Granted the guy before him set the plank really low. But trying to do the right thing eventually got him tired, quitting, and getting replaced by Kwame.

Hope I am wrong, but I see the same thing happening to Duggan, eventually.

I do hope I will be proven wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: