Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 03:46 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,863,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I didn't necessarily mean it in a negative way. He didn't express any concern about safety or the condition Detroit finds itself in so I assumed he is clueless about those things. I will never understand why people try to compensate the crime and decline of the city with the 'safe' suburbs around the city. It doesn't work that way, you still need to know which areas to stay away from. How is he supposed to know if negative comments are not allowed?

Coming from Europe, cities like Detroit, Chicago, Newark, Baltimore, Philly, LA, etc. do give us a cultural shock. I have experienced it myself. Europe is like Disneyland compared to American cities and most Europeans are clueless about what the US is really like.
It sounds to me as though this was written by a child, and I'm being very honest here. Such naivety would be extremely unfortunate in an adult, in any case. Europe certainly is no Disneyland...exponentially far from it. We can all thank our lucky stars that we are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 04:29 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,863,133 times
To the OP, I wish that I could answer your questions, and hope that others here can give you the constructive assistance that you request. Welcome to Detroit and Michigan. You will find a lot to like here!

Old 01-26-2015, 04:45 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
The thing is, it DOES work that way. Most people that live in large metropolitan areas in the US actually live in the suburbs and spend most of their day to day life there.
So, hiding in the suburbs and being in denial about the city itself is your solution to the situation in Detroit? Even when living in the suburbs, I would still want to know about the decay and the gang violence just a few miles away. Pretending it doesn't exist is not a solution. People do end up driving into the wrong parts of town either because by mistake or by ignorance, so why delay the shock until then rather than being fully aware of the area you are moving to in advance?

Old 01-26-2015, 05:23 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
So, hiding in the suburbs and being in denial about the city itself is your solution to the situation in Detroit? Even when living in the suburbs, I would still want to know about the decay and the gang violence just a few miles away. Pretending it doesn't exist is not a solution. People do end up driving into the wrong parts of town either because by mistake or by ignorance, so why delay the shock until then rather than being fully aware of the area you are moving to in advance?
Being aware of something doesn't change the fact that the OP still is coming to the area with a job and housing in a safe area that's provided for him. His biggest issues are those relating to his immigration process. Sure it helps to know what area might or might not be unsafe, but that's not really something he has to worry about until he actually get situated after moving. Urban decay in a specific area is not a high priority every time someone is in the process of relocating here.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:52 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Drro Drro Drro look, some random decaying neighborhood in the inner city is not his problem! It has nothing to do with being in denial about anything... here is the honest truth that is so hard for you to understand, most people who have much more important things to worry about could give a flying f*ck about some ghetto that's 30 miles away, period.

Now are you seriously suggesting that the OP declines his job opportunity because a neighborhood that's probably 30-40 minutes from where he will be living may not be pretty enough for him? LMFAO!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt13...SAzOVIpUd00d3j

I'm sorry but there are probably 50 other things that he should be thinking about before that... maybe more.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:01 PM

464 posts, read 451,540 times
Quote:
No, I agree completely. This forum is full of people who think Detroit's problems "aren't too bad". People who have lived in metro Detroit all their lives are used to the third world conditions of some of our ghettos. To an outsider, especially someone from the first world (outside the US), many are horrified at how unsafe and ruined much of the city of Detroit is. It really is a culture shock. With that in mind, I am sure the op is aware of Detroit's issues and plans on living in a safe neighborhood in the suburbs.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:02 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
No, I agree completely. This forum is full of people who think Detroit's problems "aren't too bad". People who have lived in metro Detroit all their lives are used to the third world conditions of some of our ghettos. To an outsider, especially someone from the first world (outside the US), many are horrified at how unsafe and ruined much of the city of Detroit is. It really is a culture shock. With that in mind, I am sure the op is aware of Detroit's issues and plans on living in a safe neighborhood in the suburbs.
Culture shock? possibly, but like most people in the region, it most likely won't be affecting his day to day life. Which is the point some of us are trying to make. To say that he will be surrounded by ghettos is ridiculous to say the least. Therefore, worrying about it is not a priority, making sure he has everything he needs to get his life together here is.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:26 PM

464 posts, read 451,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Culture shock? possibly, but like most people in the region, it most likely won't be affecting his day to day life. Worrying about it is not a priority, making sure he has everything he needs to get his life together here is.
I agree, it won't affect his day to day life (given he chooses a nice neighborhood), and making sure everything he needs to get his life together in the States is priority.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:33 AM

29 posts, read 31,444 times
Hello peeps

Thanks for the reply! I am learning a lot from your post!
I know detroit is a dangerous place (not the whole place, but some place are indeed dangerous).
I am not going into political debate but i am a lifetime members of the NRA (the american one) and i am well aware of the situation of the city and the state. In fact i alteady asked what i need to have a CCW (being a gun nuts weapon are and will be part of my life)
Climate shock: for sure.. here it doesn't snow too much.. but i am a fat bean so i will survive :-)
Cultural shock: granted! And i find this really exciting!
Driving: i drive since i was 16 (motorbike) and the car since i was 18.. that means 23 years now.. so even if I am not a NASCAR driver i know how to handle a car, also i am used to manual gear shifter.. and with the automgearbox everything is easier..
Car will be provided by the company (Chrisler 200 iirc)

Old 02-08-2015, 11:45 AM

29 posts, read 31,444 times
Another things: i am not going to decline a job offer for the US. It is since 1994 when i was studying in the US that i fell in love with the American way of life.. for too much time i have been focusing of building a career here in Italy.. now it is time to move.
I will receive another opportunities tomorrow, this one will be in Charlots, NC.
Will see which one fit me the most.. but honestly i think the Automotive, where I have been active since 2003 will be the ones.. that meaning Detroit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: