Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:25 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times

Advertisements

I thought this was particularly tragic. When does it end?

Sadly, this will be lamented for a few days, then forgotten by all except those who knew the young man.

I guess this isn't as interesting to the national media, the community, activists or politicians as a police officer shooting someone who's grabbed his firearm.

Fatal shooting victim, 19, calls mother: 'Mom, I've been shot' - Fox 2 News Headlines

Actually I see on the Fox News 2 site that 2 more children have been shot since this was posted this morning. A 13 and 5 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 07:24 PM

464 posts, read 451,684 times
I agree! The violence needs to stop. May Don Herrell Jones rest in peace.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:51 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Hopefully the DPD hires alot more officers and really start to crack down on violent criminals all over the city, like how NYC went from thousands of homicides a year to less than 500. I really hope Detroit's violent days are limited as this will be a huge part of the city's "fresh start".

Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
It probably won't change anytime soon. Whenever it is brought up by outsiders, they are condemned for bad-mouthing Detroit. And whenever is brought up by Detroiters, it is only because they can market it as a racial issue.

When the people are willing to change, they will.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I thought this was particularly tragic. When does it end?

Sadly, this will be lamented for a few days, then forgotten by all except those who knew the young man.

I guess this isn't as interesting to the national media, the community, activists or politicians as a police officer shooting someone who's grabbed his firearm.

Fatal shooting victim, 19, calls mother: 'Mom, I've been shot' - Fox 2 News Headlines

Actually I see on the Fox News 2 site that 2 more children have been shot since this was posted this morning. A 13 and 5 year old.
I read the story in your link, not having heard about the story when it happened. I was looking for something that stood out that would warrant a distinction with a difference. I found nothing in this story…..other than the fact that they young man contacted his mom before he died, and that information was shared with the public.

Every homicide is someone’s child. Let me repeat that. “Every homicide victim is someone child”, but we do not always get a peek into their lives our childhood, to create an emotional reaction. Often, all that is needed is a photo. Would the emotions be different Don Jones was not shown in suit and tie, but rather, in the normal “gear” that youth his age wear and flashing the ubiquitous hand signs representing peace or “West side” that’s popular with youth but does not mean that they are in some gang? Anytime a young black male is killed, there is an assumption by many that he or his parents were in some way “bad” or engaged in some wrong doing, unless otherwise demonstrated not to be true by the media.

Let me also make another point. Most people do not know what the hell community activist do on a daily basis…..do they? The only time that people know what community activist are doing, who are not in the community that the activist is engaged in, is when the media shares it. Let me also inform you that the media GIVES YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE AND HEAR!!!! If they did not, then they would lose advertisers and revenue and hence profit. Thus, the reason you do not get certain stories is from the FACT that such stories do not generate much interest….FROM THE PUBLIC….and YOU, the complainers, are the public. Truth be told that activist are very involved in the issue of crime in the black community….but YOU really do not want to hear such stories because it subdues that popular narrative that these people are only concerned with racialized crimes.

One murder is one too many murders…whether you are in a suit and tie or whether you are in a hoodie. Street homicides are different from state supported homicides at the hands of authority figures who get to play judge, jury and executioner by simply claiming that they "feared for their life"......what happens when the "straw man" from the wizard of oz become a police officer?

Old 01-28-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I read the story in your link, not having heard about the story when it happened. I was looking for something that stood out that would warrant a distinction with a difference. I found nothing in this story…..other than the fact that they young man contacted his mom before he died, and that information was shared with the public.

Every homicide is someone’s child. Let me repeat that. “Every homicide victim is someone child”, but we do not always get a peek into their lives our childhood, to create an emotional reaction. Often, all that is needed is a photo. Would the emotions be different Don Jones was not shown in suit and tie, but rather, in the normal “gear” that youth his age wear and flashing the ubiquitous hand signs representing peace or “West side” that’s popular with youth but does not mean that they are in some gang? Anytime a young black male is killed, there is an assumption by many that he or his parents were in some way “bad” or engaged in some wrong doing, unless otherwise demonstrated not to be true by the media.

Let me also make another point. Most people do not know what the hell community activist do on a daily basis…..do they? The only time that people know what community activist are doing, who are not in the community that the activist is engaged in, is when the media shares it. Let me also inform you that the media GIVES YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE AND HEAR!!!! If they did not, then they would lose advertisers and revenue and hence profit. Thus, the reason you do not get certain stories is from the FACT that such stories do not generate much interest….FROM THE PUBLIC….and YOU, the complainers, are the public. Truth be told that activist are very involved in the issue of crime in the black community….but YOU really do not want to hear such stories because it subdues that popular narrative that these people are only concerned with racialized crimes.

One murder is one too many murders…whether you are in a suit and tie or whether you are in a hoodie. Street homicides are different from state supported homicides at the hands of authority figures who get to play judge, jury and executioner by simply claiming that they "feared for their life"......what happens when the "straw man" from the wizard of oz become a police officer?
I disagree. It's about narratives.

The narrative of a made up wave of murders committed by police officers is something that people like: the black community at large, liberals, and the media, which is overwhelmingly liberal.

They do not like and are not comfortable with the narrative of black on black violence, which in reality is a much, much bigger problem, by many magnitudes.

"Murder happens everywhere."

Sure, keep telling yourself that.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I disagree. It's about narratives.

The narrative of a made up wave of murders committed by police officers is something that people like: the black community at large, liberals, and the media, which is overwhelmingly liberal.

They do not like and are not comfortable with the narrative of black on black violence, which in reality is a much, much bigger problem, by many magnitudes.

"Murder happens everywhere."

Sure, keep telling yourself that.
Here is the thing.....study HISTORY....there is no "made up wave ". This has been going on unabated for decades....no...CENTURIES. In fact, the "wave" has diminished greatly over the centuries, but it still exists. I guess there are made up "studies too" Michael Brown Shooting: Studies Show Racial Bias in Police Decisions | The New Republic.

There are all kinds of studies that demonstrate not only that the "wave exists" by why it exist as well. Truth be told, people have selection bias. They choose NOT to select that information because it debunks their narrative.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:45 AM

I'm sure it exists to a degree but frankly the St. Louis incident that the entire country chose to march over was in my opinion a tragic but not outrageous incident; if I assUlted a police officer I would fully expect to get shot.

And this is what people choose to concentrate on rather than a much, much, much more serious problem.

Because it makes them feel better.

The fact is Don Jones is dead.

There will be another Don Jones killed tomorrow, and another after that.

Black leaders will not make it an issue, and the media won't concentrate on it.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:33 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
The issue is that police officers are public workers who get paid a salary. If they kill someone when there's no immediate danger to themselves or the public, then get away with it, then people get frustrated. That cop still gets to go home and get paid. Black on black crime, while tragic, is not equivalent to a police shooting because of this fact.

That's not to say people aren't unaffected by murders that aren't police related. But when it's a police officer doing the shooting, people can feel like that they're just being paid to target certain people.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I'm sure it exists to a degree but frankly the St. Louis incident that the entire country chose to march over was in my opinion a tragic but not outrageous incident; if I assUlted a police officer I would fully expect to get shot.

And this is what people choose to concentrate on rather than a much, much, much more serious problem.

Because it makes them feel better.

The fact is Don Jones is dead.

There will be another Don Jones killed tomorrow, and another after that.

Black leaders will not make it an issue, and the media won't concentrate on it.
No.....people do not want to focus on the much, much, much more serious problem. People just want to look superficially at black on black crime to say....."look at them". People simply want to focus on the OBSERVATION of the high rate of black on black crime....but run like hell when you start talking about the EXPLANATION for it. You see....society wants ALL EYES ON EFFECT (black people killing and being killed) but not the cause because the cause DEFLECTS away from blacks and REFLECTS upon the wrongs of this society historically. Society does not want to touch that with a ten foot pole....but it hugs the idea of focusing on black dysfunction....because that feeds a narrative and protects the image of the larger society...and it's need to feel "comfortable" and without moral injury, which is accomplished by keeping the focus on black actions....not as a reaction to something else...but rather an innate propensity towards dysfunction relative to other groups.

When you dig deep enough.....one will find that the Ferguson incident and black on black violence emanated from the same root problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit