Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 04:21 PM

11 posts, read 25,258 times

Advertisements

It has everything you can ask for.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:22 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
No. But that's subjective.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:47 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
no, but "everything" is in the mind of the believer.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:44 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,641 times
Pshhh. Not even.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:59 AM

70 posts, read 145,080 times
I wouldn't say so. To each their own, though. Lots of people love Novi. I don't mind it but I prefer more character in a community. I'm not a fan of a neighborhood that gives you 3 facade options with the same floorplan. I'm also not a fan of the whole big mall and box stores everywhere + traffic congestion and planned-out huge subdivisions. I think in the last 10 years I've been inside Twelve Oaks twice. Novi just isn't my lifestyle but to someone else it may be #1. I like Farmington Hills better... A little older, less congestion, rolling hills, greenspace, large parks, bigger yards, a little bit of diversity as far as housing styles go for the most part, location is great and is safe overall. And the people here are generally more laid back, not in a rush... By that I mean I'm not being tailgaited by a BMW trying to do 55 in a 40.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:13 AM

16 posts, read 27,797 times
Is Novi still nice? I have checked out the demographics and stuff and it seems like it might be declining judging by who seems to be moving in? Has there been section 8 houses built?

Old 02-15-2015, 07:25 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterintheMirror View Post
Is Novi still nice? I have checked out the demographics and stuff and it seems like it might be declining judging by who seems to be moving in? Has there been section 8 houses built?
Ahhh...the "old guard" with the "their goes the neighborhood" narrative, which creates a self fulfilling prophecy when assumed in mass. Hopefully Novi's demographic reflects a younger perspective and not one circa Selma, Alabama.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:23 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
No, but it is a nice area.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:32 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterintheMirror View Post
Novi stil has a higher than average median personal income and housing cost. They are still building $300K+ houses by the dozens. Townhouse apartments there go for $1,200-$1,800/month, depending on square footage and number of bedrooms. Section 8 housing is found in most cities, regardless of the overall quality of the area. It is called integration, and housing does not have to be built specifically for section 8. I have a friend whose mother is disabled and qualififed for section 8 housing in the Toledo, Ohio area. You would be surprised to see which safe, upscale suburbs contain housing designated for section 8 tenants, so that is not an indicator if an area is "declining". Also, as in the case of my friend's mother, you need to keep in mind that not ALL section 8 tenants are lazy, trashy, welfare mothers, which tends to be the stereotype. There really are decent, respectable people who struggle to make ends meet and are not able to work. In the case of my friend's mother, she is in the advanced stages of MS but still wants to live as independently as possible for as long as she can. You would be hard pressed to find a nicer, cleaner, more decent neighbor.

Is Novi the best town in Michigan? Who can answer that for someone? Do you like exactly what everyone on this forum who weighs in on this topic likes? For me, no, Novi would not be the BEST town in Michigan. Is it a nice, livable, safe, area with lots of shopping and dining amenities? Yes. OP, is that what you were really asking? Do you insist on living in the "best" town in Michigan, or just one that has the above qualities?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:50 AM

16 posts, read 27,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Novi stil has a higher than average median personal income and housing cost. They are still building $300K+ houses by the dozens. Townhouse apartments there go for $1,200-$1,800/month, depending on square footage and number of bedrooms. Section 8 housing is found in most cities, regardless of the overall quality of the area. It is called integration, and housing does not have to be built specifically for section 8. I have a friend whose mother is disabled and qualififed for section 8 housing in the Toledo, Ohio area. You would be surprised to see which safe, upscale suburbs contain housing designated for section 8 tenants, so that is not an indicator if an area is "declining". Also, as in the case of my friend's mother, you need to keep in mind that not ALL section 8 tenants are lazy, trashy, welfare mothers, which tends to be the stereotype. There really are decent, respectable people who struggle to make ends meet and are not able to work. In the case of my friend's mother, she is in the advanced stages of MS but still wants to live as independently as possible for as long as she can. You would be hard pressed to find a nicer, cleaner, more decent neighbor.

Is Novi the best town in Michigan? Who can answer that for someone? Do you like exactly what everyone on this forum who weighs in on this topic likes? For me, no, Novi would not be the BEST town in Michigan. Is it a nice, livable, safe, area with lots of shopping and dining amenities? Yes. OP, is that what you were really asking? Do you insist on living in the "best" town in Michigan, or just one that has the above qualities?
Section 8 is in every town? How is that integration I thought integration was about race? Now we have to be integrated by income too? Can I get section 8 and move to Malibu CA? I am hard pressed to believe there is subsidized housing in EVERY community..because personally as someone who pays there bills I don't want to live next door to someone who doesn't regardless of their neighborliness. I can't afford much but I work and I think that's insane that just because someone is sick they get free luxury housing or housing at all. When my mother was sick and couldn't work it was her pension plus me and my siblings helping her. I don't know there should really be a database for that because there is no reason I should have to pay to live near someone who deserves to be homeless. And by Novi's demographics you know exactly what I mean..Has there been an influx of Detroiters like in Eastpointe. The home looks really nice but I don't want to live in a transitional community that is having an influx of people moving in from Detroit or Pontiac. Which would be better for that? Novi or Sterling Heights? The census is from 5 years ago so can anyone who is there tell me if recently many Detroiters have entered the communuty? Is it a school choice district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit