U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:11 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,230,742 times

Advertisements

Monster, ALL of metro Detroit has become just terrible...awful...and...you will HATE it here! You will! Better just stay in Florida. Yes. That is your best bet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 09:17 PM

4,643 posts, read 7,528,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterintheMirror View Post
Thanks for your help, we are gonna definitely passing on the house.
I don't feel sorry for you unable to move here but good luck on finding your Mayberry neighborhood.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:50 PM

70 posts, read 119,321 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help, we are gonna definitely passing on the house.
I was gonna say.... After reading all of your comments, you won't be happy in Metro Detroit. All communities in the metro area are changing. And in reality, they are ever-changing. Waves of good and bad filter through the region decade after decade. Cities like Eastpointe are going downhill whereas cities like Farmington Hills are seeing new construction of 500K houses. 10 years from now, who knows what cities will be on the downslope and which other ones will be on the upswing. If you want a city that will not change in the foreseeable future and not have influence from Detroit, move to Roscommon, or Stockbridge, or Imlay City. Living in a metro area is dynamic. Different people, different lifestyles, different backgrounds, you can't avoid that. Even upscale cities have low rent apartments. Novi is associated with higher standards, but look along Pontiac Trail, or the numerous trailer parks scattered throughout the city. Just like AnimatedMartian said, Mayberry doesn't exist here, and good luck finding it.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:19 AM

21,093 posts, read 25,626,668 times
Quote:
I'm a single mom moving back to SE Michigan after living in Daytona Beach, Florida. I have 2 little ones and I need a safe place with good schools that's is not near the hood. I grew up in Macomb but I heard SCS and Fraser and the closer East Side suburbs have gotten really ghetto and a lot of Detroiters have moved there. That isn't what I want at all, I found a 2 bed condo up by 19 mile and Hayes. It seems nice but everyone is telling me to just avoid Macomb completely.

Is Sterling Heights a bad investment, the condo is $60k and I was going to buy it in cash with my divorce settlement but I want this to be the place that I can live for a long time.

If so, does anyone else know where in the area I can buy a modern condo or townhome for that price in an area that hasn't gone downhill and doesn't have section 8 or a lot of Detroiters moving in? I am thinking maybe far downriver but I don't want to live in an older home.
Daytona Beach, Florida is the first place that comes to mind. Why not look there?

I work in Detroit near the DMC, and MANY of my coworkers are moving the the 19 Miles and Hayes area...in fact MANY are moving to Macomb County and western Oakland..Welcome to MICHIGAN!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post

On a personal note, I would strongly advise you to move up to Livingston county or St. Clair county because I would hate for you to run into one of those "Detroiters" with that mouth of yours. Also, if your ever in the city, I'd advise you to keep your opinions to yourself, I'll hate for you run into someone with real problems talking like that, you might loose your teeth, or worse, be a story on the 6:00 news.
Robert Miles has left the county. We are not looking for a replacement here in Livingston.

I walk down the street and I see MINORITIES and I am LOVIN' IT.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:19 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,997,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Robert Miles has left the county. We are not looking for a replacement here in Livingston.

I walk down the street and I see MINORITIES and I am LOVIN' IT.
Oh no! scratch that off the list. I guess St. Clair and Monroe county are the only ones left that hasn't been "ruined" by Detroiters now.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:09 PM

13,819 posts, read 8,250,734 times
Quote:
I'm a single mom moving back to SE Michigan after living in Daytona Beach, Florida. I have 2 little ones and I need a safe place with good schools that's is not near the hood. I grew up in Macomb but I heard SCS and Fraser and the closer East Side suburbs have gotten really ghetto and a lot of Detroiters have moved there. That isn't what I want at all, I found a 2 bed condo up by 19 mile and Hayes. It seems nice but everyone is telling me to just avoid Macomb completely.

Is Sterling Heights a bad investment, the condo is $60k and I was going to buy it in cash with my divorce settlement but I want this to be the place that I can live for a long time.

If so, does anyone else know where in the area I can buy a modern condo or townhome for that price in an area that hasn't gone downhill and doesn't have section 8 or a lot of Detroiters moving in? I am thinking maybe far downriver but I don't want to live in an older home.
Just out of curiosity....was your ex husband a "Detroiter"....if not...I do not see why things did not work out

Old 02-16-2015, 02:31 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,471,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
All the jobs are in the suburbs and the buses don't go out to where these jobs are, so these 'section 8 Detroit residents' have to move out of the city and into the suburbs if they even want to be given a chance to try to make anything for themselves at all.
You are somewhat incorrect, I counted 39 bus routes operated by SMART. I have a part-time job in Madison Heights, and I can take either the Dequindre and John R buses to get to it from the State Fairgrounds. Now the SMART bus doesn't go to all of the far-flung suburbs, but it provides decent coverage.

To assert that you have to move out to the suburbs to make anything of yourself is simply incorrect (unless you are talking about the public school situation). More and more jobs are moving into the core of the city as well.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:36 PM

4,643 posts, read 7,528,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
You are somewhat incorrect, I counted 39 bus routes operated by SMART. I have a part-time job in Madison Heights, and I can take either the Dequindre and John R buses to get to it from the State Fairgrounds. Now the SMART bus doesn't go to all of the far-flung suburbs, but it provides decent coverage.

To assert that you have to move out to the suburbs to make anything of yourself is simply incorrect (unless you are talking about the public school situation). More and more jobs are moving into the core of the city as well.
That's true, but you should know that until very recently that definitely was not the case. And even so, plenty of people who have low income don't want to be around all that crime that goes on in the city just as much as any person making middle to high income.

The point is, too much is based on over generalizations and stereotypes that promotes ignorance and divisive behavior. Many suburbs of Detroit are fine to live in provided the economy doesn't go up in flames, but that could happen regardless of who lives where and what the color of their skin is.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 PM

Far downriver? Hope it is with a paddle.

Materville, AKA Monroe is no longer milky white. It is getting more difficult to find wonder bread as the crust seems to be migrating everywhere!

You might look at West Bloomfield..or not, there are many athletes living there and some stretches of Lone Pine are very diverse.
Livonia was once an option, but squatters have migrated from Detroit and taken over a few neighborhoods.
Seem that while you were gone Michigan done went for a stroll and became DIVERSE! Who would have ever thought Orville Hubbard was WRONG and that the wall along 8 mile would fall and Woodward would no longer be a racial border.

Darn next thing you know gays will have EQUALITY, MUSLIMS will live in DEARBORN and there will be interracial marriage and people of different religions will start dating.

Michigan has really changed since you were here last. I hear IDAHO and MONTANA may be the last non-Detroiter place on the planet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit