Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:05 AM

16 posts, read 27,811 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom moving back to SE Michigan after living in Daytona Beach, Florida. I have 2 little ones and I need a safe place with good schools that's is not near the hood. I grew up in Macomb but I heard SCS and Fraser and the closer East Side suburbs have gotten really ghetto and a lot of Detroiters have moved there. That isn't what I want at all, I found a 2 bed condo up by 19 mile and Hayes. It seems nice but everyone is telling me to just avoid Macomb completely.

Is Sterling Heights a bad investment, the condo is $60k and I was going to buy it in cash with my divorce settlement but I want this to be the place that I can live for a long time.

If so, does anyone else know where in the area I can buy a modern condo or townhome for that price in an area that hasn't gone downhill and doesn't have section 8 or a lot of Detroiters moving in? I am thinking maybe far downriver but I don't want to live in an older home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 01:17 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
You gotta be kidding me, avoid Macomb county completely? Who have you been talking to? Sterling Heights I believe is one of the safest cities of it's size in America. The day it goes ghetto will be the day all the middle class and rich move back to Detroit and push the poor people out. In that area, But do beware of the traffic around there, Hall Rd is a nightmare, the street is exactly like 8 mile or Telegraph with multiple lanes each direction, grass medians, and only "Michigan lefts" allowed but here is the kicker part, NO STREET LIGHTS! I was on my way to Dave & Busters not long ago, the weather got kind of bad and it was night and thanks to no street lights, we could hardly see the small ass street signs to see where we were, thank god for GPS. It's already bad enough people drive like they want to lose their life around here. Infrastructure is a joke up there.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:56 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,597,502 times
It is a very gross stereotype that "section 8" or "Detroit residents" means bad residents. With that sort of mentality you'd might as well avoid the whole region altogether.

But either way, most of the suburbs mentioned are pretty safe. Though Sterling Heights, imo, has the better schools.

Last edited by animatedmartian; 02-15-2015 at 02:05 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
It is a very gross stereotype that "section 8" or "Detroit residents" means bad residents. With that sort of mentality you'd might as well avoid the whole region altogether.
Jesus what is with this forum and the PC patrol!?!

I am from the region born and raised and both my parents were Detroit residents. However IMO at this point in time Detroit residents DOES mean undesireable neighbors because all of the people I want to live around have already left sometime between 1970 and the last decade, I'm sure there are good people left there but I don't want to live near them you know very well what I mean when I say Detroiters. As for section 8 tenants it's my preogative to not want to live near people who can't pay their own rent when I pay my bills, if they are that unmotivated I don't want them near my home or their kids in school with mine. Most of them aren't elderly people or the disabled but hood trash from the city who use their voucher to move to the suburbs. I am moving back to the area to be near my family that's all. I was just trying to find out the areas that haven't ruined. I would move to a vilage on the UP if I could but the jobs are in SE Michigan. I'm not moving to Detroit and I don't want to be around people who just moved from Detroit because I don't want to live in a ghetto area.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:00 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
"you know very well what I mean when I say Detroiters" of course we do. Baboons/ coons/ nig*ers/ spooks/ blackies.
Sterling Heights isn't "Coon Town" don't worry. This should ease your pain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmZJeglZSIg

On a personal note, I would strongly advise you to move up to Livingston county or St. Clair county because I would hate for you to run into one of those "Detroiters" with that mouth of yours. Also, if your ever in the city, I'd advise you to keep your opinions to yourself, I'll hate for you run into someone with real problems talking like that, you might loose your teeth, or worse, be a story on the 6:00 news.

Last edited by MS313; 02-15-2015 at 03:08 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterintheMirror View Post
Jesus what is with this forum and the PC patrol!?!

I am from the region born and raised and both my parents were Detroit residents. However IMO at this point in time Detroit residents DOES mean undesireable neighbors because all of the people I want to live around have already left sometime between 1970 and the last decade, I'm sure there are good people left there but I don't want to live near them you know very well what I mean when I say Detroiters. As for section 8 tenants it's my preogative to not want to live near people who can't pay their own rent when I pay my bills, if they are that unmotivated I don't want them near my home or their kids in school with mine. Most of them aren't elderly people or the disabled but hood trash from the city who use their voucher to move to the suburbs. I am moving back to the area to be near my family that's all. I was just trying to find out the areas that haven't ruined. I would move to a vilage on the UP if I could but the jobs are in SE Michigan. I'm not moving to Detroit and I don't want to be around people who just moved from Detroit because I don't want to live in a ghetto area.
If PC means real world and not outdated stereotypes then that's what this forum should be. As a "Detroit resident" who moved to Sterling Heights in 2005, I don't know what you mean when you say you don't want to live near "Detroit residents".

I can understand when you say you don't want to be near the ghetto areas, but your who idea of who and what constitutes as ghetto is so wild that it seems like you're looking for some 1950s idea where everyone is homogeneous and looks the same as you.

And for the record, not everyone on Section 8 is "lazy" nor are all them Detroiters (or minorities). Minimum wages doesn't cover modern day living expenses and not everyone has the privilege to choose what life circumstances they've been faced with. All the jobs are in the suburbs and the buses don't go out to where these jobs are, so these 'section 8 Detroit residents' have to move out of the city and into the suburbs if they even want to be given a chance to try to make anything for themselves at all.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
If PC means real world and not outdated stereotypes then that's what this forum should be. As a "Detroit resident" who moved to Sterling Heights in 2005, I don't know what you mean when you say you don't want to live near "Detroit residents".

I can understand when you say you don't want to be near the ghetto areas, but your who idea of who and what constitutes as ghetto is so wild that it seems like you're looking for some 1950s idea where everyone is homogeneous and looks the same as you.

And for the record, not everyone on Section 8 is "lazy" nor are all them Detroiters (or minorities). Minimum wages doesn't cover modern day living expenses and not everyone has the privilege to choose what life circumstances they've been faced with. All the jobs are in the suburbs and the buses don't go out to where these jobs are, so these 'section 8 Detroit residents' have to move out of the city and into the suburbs if they even want to be given a chance to try to make anything for themselves at all.
The 50s? My parents were just being born in the fifties. And if I was referring to Detroiters in 1950 I would be referring to a mostly white city with lots of Polish people etc. my point of reference is the Detroit of the 1990s, the Detroit that everyone worthwhile escaped and the place where I got car jacked in broad day light on Gratiot. I don't want to debate about section 8 but IMO if you can't pay your rent on your own with wages you earned (or family help) you don't don't deserve to live in a house. That's black or white.

You moved to Sterling Heights in 2005 from Detroit? May I ask your ethnic background? Are you African American? I am just curious.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterintheMirror View Post
The 50s? My parents were just being born in the fifties. And if I was referring to Detroiters in 1950 I would be referring to a mostly white city with lots of Polish people etc. my point of reference is the Detroit of the 1990s, the Detroit that everyone worthwhile escaped and the place where I got car jacked in broad day light on Gratiot. I don't want to debate about section 8 but IMO if you can't pay your rent on your own with wages you earned (or family help) you don't don't deserve to live in a house. That's black or white.

You moved to Sterling Heights in 2005 from Detroit? May I ask your ethnic background? Are you African American? I am just curious.
Yes, I am African American. My parents worked in the automotive industry and we moved for the better schools as well as for them to be closer to their job. Either way, there's many middle class African Americans who moved out of Detroit following the 90s and into today. Many suburbs of Detroit, even farther out, are having increases in AA populations as well as other non-white populations.

That may be your opinion on Section 8 but it is not reflective of reality. Housing in Sterling Heights (or really many Detroit suburbs) is pretty expensive for the many people whose jobs are in the area but don't pay very much. Who do you think work the fast food restaurants and retail stores? Should those people be deprived of the ability to even reach their jobs if they can't afford a car and/or have other financial obligations that puts limits on their finances? Especially when so many suburbs opt-out of bus service and college is increasingly expensive. There are some who abuse financial assistance, but that's such a minority of people that there's likely more corruption in government and corporations than there is abuse of financial assistance.

But to answer your question on whether any of these suburbs are declining, no. The region as a whole did shake up a little during the recession, but in the past 3 or 4 years, most areas are on the upswing, some faster than others. However, the demographics for many areas are still changing.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:18 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,940,815 times
I work downtown and most of the people on my team are all Detroiters.
The demographics are changing fast. These "Detroiters" are white, college-educated, twenty-somethings, all making well above $60k per year.

Sterling Heights is perfectly fine like 75% of the areas in Southeastern Michigan.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am African American. My parents worked in the automotive industry and we moved for the better schools as well as for them to be closer to their job. Either way, there's many middle class African Americans who moved out of Detroit following the 90s and into today. Many suburbs of Detroit, even farther out, are having increases in AA populations as well as other non-white populations.

That may be your opinion on Section 8 but it is not reflective of reality. Housing in Sterling Heights (or really many Detroit suburbs) is pretty expensive for the many people whose jobs are in the area but don't pay very much. Who do you think work the fast food restaurants and retail stores? Should those people be deprived of the ability to even reach their jobs if they can't afford a car and/or have other financial obligations that puts limits on their finances? Especially when so many suburbs opt-out of bus service and college is increasingly expensive. There are some who abuse financial assistance, but that's such a minority of people that there's likely more corruption in government and corporations than there is abuse of financial assistance.

But to answer your question on whether any of these suburbs are declining, no. The region as a whole did shake up a little during the recession, but in the past 3 or 4 years, most areas are on the upswing, some faster than others. However, the demographics for many areas are still changing.
Thanks for your help, we are gonna definitely passing on the house. And perhaps they should work closer to work or take a second job like everyone else. The census is out of date which is concerning but the best way I have found is to research 2013 enrollment statistics at schools and compare the amount of minority students to the amount of school choice students. If a district is 16% black enrollment 5% Asian and 79% white but takes 16% of out of district students you have your answer to current demographics more or less. I am sure you're great but you lower property values to the point where your "brothas" and "sistas" can make it in. And then when the percentage hits the sweet spot of 20% give or take white flight happens and the area is ruined. It happens every time and has been studied. I am looking for the home I am going to grow old and die in and not have to move north after five years. I did that in my childhood and no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
I work downtown and most of the people on my team are all Detroiters.
The demographics are changing fast. These "Detroiters" are white, college-educated, twenty-somethings, all making well above $60k per year.

Sterling Heights is perfectly fine like 75% of the areas in Southeastern Michigan.
They aren't the ones putting their kids in school, or in the residential neighborhoods like on the NW or SW side right? I will believe that the city has changed when I see young white and Asian families playing with their kids at rouge park and sending their kids to detroit schools (not cass tech but neighborhood schools)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit