Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:43 PM

9 posts, read 13,342 times

Advertisements

I am trying to establish a future in Detroit/metro, but I haven't been terribly impressed in terms of the visual appeal of the area, and this is somewhat important to me. Does anyone have suggestions as to the most visually appealing places that one can reside in Detroit/metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:12 PM

70 posts, read 145,147 times
As far as visually appealing goes, I enjoy the atmosphere of Auburn Hills, Rochester Hills, Orion Twp, Oakland Twp. For one, the actual hills... A lot of the metro area is rather flat, but that part of Oakland County has lots of hills, lots of trees, in my opinion just a nice looking area.

I also like the areas in and around Ann Arbor. Again, lots of trees and terrain changes, and the presence of the Huron River helps to the aesthetics.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:43 PM

7 posts, read 13,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy252 View Post
As far as visually appealing goes, I enjoy the atmosphere of Auburn Hills, Rochester Hills, Orion Twp, Oakland Twp. For one, the actual hills... A lot of the metro area is rather flat, but that part of Oakland County has lots of hills, lots of trees, in my opinion just a nice looking area.

I also like the areas in and around Ann Arbor. Again, lots of trees and terrain changes, and the presence of the Huron River helps to the aesthetics.
What about Farmington Hills and Bloomfield Hills? I've never been there but am wondering if they have a similar hills/woodsy feel.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:00 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspeciallyInMichigan View Post
I am trying to establish a future in Detroit/metro, but I haven't been terribly impressed in terms of the visual appeal of the area, and this is somewhat important to me. Does anyone have suggestions as to the most visually appealing places that one can reside in Detroit/metro?
Architecture-wise, there's a few good places with new and old and some in the middle. Terrain-wise, there's not much. The terrain doesn't get hilly until you're northwest of the metro area. Specifically in northern and northwestern Oakland County. Unfortunately, most of that area is semi-rural and/or pretty sprawly. Others have named some suburbs, but if you're coming from the West Coast or even parts of Appalachia, pretty much everything in SE Michigan is going to seem pretty flat. Otherwise, all there is are some wooded areas, inland lakes, and some winding rivers.

Most in Metro Detroit take vacations to other parts of Michigan (up north) for their outdoorsy fix.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Care to be more specific on what exactly your looking for? like what type of housing stock? natural outdoor scenery? ect.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 AM

70 posts, read 145,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatliberal View Post
What about Farmington Hills and Bloomfield Hills? I've never been there but am wondering if they have a similar hills/woodsy feel.
Farmington Hills does, especially on the north and west ends. Southeast FH has been built up south of 10 Mile and east of Orchard Lake and doesn't resemble the more rural feel you get elsewhere in the community.

As for Bloomfield Hills, I can't speak for anything off of Woodward. I don't find myself out that way very often except for the Dream Cruise. I use Telegraph through the Township if I need to get north.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:43 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,863,133 times
Parts of Bloomfield Hills and Farmington Hills sure do have a similar hilly and woodsy feel.

To the OP: There are many areas like this in the metro Detroit, and they are all over the place. Since it's a very large metro area, it would be best to choose where you need to be commuting to and from, or what other amenities you will want.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:37 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspeciallyInMichigan View Post
Budget? The better the budget the easier it is to find appeal.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:02 PM

9 posts, read 13,342 times
Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Architecture-wise, there's a few good places with new and old and some in the middle. Terrain-wise, there's not much. The terrain doesn't get hilly until you're northwest of the metro area. Specifically in northern and northwestern Oakland County. Unfortunately, most of that area is semi-rural and/or pretty sprawly. Others have named some suburbs, but if you're coming from the West Coast or even parts of Appalachia, pretty much everything in SE Michigan is going to seem pretty flat. Otherwise, all there is are some wooded areas, inland lakes, and some winding rivers.

Most in Metro Detroit take vacations to other parts of Michigan (up north) for their outdoorsy fix.
Thanks! Do you have any specific suggestions in terms of places with visually appealing architecture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28
Budget? The better the budget the easier it is to find appeal.
I'm not too concerned with the budget. Whatever areas might be most visually appealing regardless of budget would be helpful to start!

Old 02-22-2015, 01:57 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
OK I still don't know what type of architecture your looking for, there's alot of different styles in Detroit, just to throw some stuff out, Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Bloomfield, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Farms, Birmingham, plenty in the city ex. Indian Village, Palmer Woods, University District, Boston-Edison, Rosedale Park, North Rosedale Park, ect.

If you want smaller mostly brick houses= inner ring suburbs
If you want McMansions, suburban sprawl, big yards, no fences, big box stores, big malls ect. you know, some real big sunbelt city flavor= get you a map of Metro Detroit and a Sharpe and draw a line north on 16 mile, west on I-275, and I don't go Downriver often but I'll say probably south on Eureka rd. Outside of those lines will have all of that.

I hope this helps, welcome to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit