Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 21,634 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm looking to live in Downtown Rochester (Near Main and University), but my new job may be in Downtown Detroit. I know it wouldn't be an ideal commute by any stretch of the imagination, but is it doable? I know that Rochester Rd. south to I-75 will likely be a nightmare, but has anyone personally made this commute that would have an estimate of how long it could take? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 02:34 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
It's a straight shot so that part is good, but at worse it would be an hour. Obviously a lot longer in bad winter weather.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
During typical peak rush-hour periods, plan on an hour. Sometimes more with accidents, ice, snow. Could easily be 1.5 hours in bad weather.

Outside of peak rush-hour, could be doable in 45 minutes.

Also consider total door-to-door time. Depends on how close you will be parking to your office downtown.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
You can do it - but is the cost/benefit of living that far in the sticks/commuting worth it? I'd focus on Grosse Pointe. Enjoy life - you only have one to live.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
My recommendation would depend on the OP's family situation. If the OP doesn't have a family to raise quite yet, I'd go with a place like Royal Oak or Ferndale. Certainly a lot more to do than Grosse Pointe, and not as far out a commute as Rochester. Also, the Detroit border with these areas is not as rough as the eastern border of Detroit with Grosse Pointe Park.

Farmington may also be worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
You can do it - but is the cost/benefit of living that far in the sticks/commuting worth it? I'd focus on Grosse Pointe. Enjoy life - you only have one to live.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:37 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 248Resident View Post
I know that Rochester Rd. south to I-75 will likely be a nightmare...
Take that nightmare and multiply it by three.

There are serious slow downs on I-75 at both the Big Beaver Road exits and at the stretch from just above the I-696 interchange to roughly the 8 Mile exits. That last bit has more to do with a sharp curve on I-75 at 9 mile that has a max posted speed of only 50 mph.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:51 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
Why, specifically, do you want to live in Rochester if you work in Downtown Detroit?

Do those reasons justify driving that commute 5 days/week and being in a car for nearly 2 hours a day? (in near perfect conditions)

Rochester Road is a nightmare going south in the morning and north at night.

At least in the am, there's flow because not everyone leaves for work at the same time. However, the pm going north can be a standstill at times.

When we lived in Rochester Hills, my husband never considered getting a job in Downtown Detroit because the commute is just insane and it would cut into what little family time we already had.

Just say no. Live close to where you work.

I'd look at Royal Oak or Ferndale if you want to stay in Oakland County.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:19 PM

4 posts, read 5,822 times
Late message, I know. Hope you decided against Rochester. I live in Rochester. Worked in downtown Detroit for three years. Easily the worst three years of my life. Forget an hour drive each way. My commute was 25 miles. Never took less than an hour fifteen. Easily 2-3 hours on the way home if there was rain, snow, wind, or if the damn Tigers had a 1 pm home game.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 PM

603 posts, read 877,616 times
The Rochester area is a great place to live but like everybody else is saying I'd be wary if you have to commute to downtown every day. Most people who I knew when I lived in Rochester worked for GM/Chrysler or a supplier so their commutes to Warren/Auburn Hills were reasonable.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:17 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I would suggest St. Clair Shores, Eastpointe, or the Grosse Pointes to make your commute much easier. You will also be close to civilization -- a zillion restaurants, theaters, stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit