U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 PM

11 posts, read 11,227 times

Advertisements

Hello community!

I am relocating to the Detroit metro area but am trying to make the very best possible selection as to where to plant myself. I'm 27, will be working in Warren, and will rent for now. I do not mind a 30min commute to work but I also do not want to be more than 35min from downtown Detroit if at all possible, I do not want to be too far from nightlife (driving far home late at night is not fun), but I can be flexible with that.

What makes this so difficult is that I have some things I want for my new place:
  • 30min or less to Warren
  • Many restaurants/grocery/shopping nearby
  • Rental
  • 2BR or 1BR+Den
  • Attached Garage.
  • Modern, updated appliances and interior styling
  • $1300/mo max budget

With that said, using Apartmentguide.com, Apartments.com, Trulia.com, and Google, I conjured up this list of apartment communities focusing on Novi and Royal Oak to check out starting on Monday 4/6. My search centered in those regions but not limited to those municipalities' border, however I am not totally satisfied with any of the results on paper, and more importantly, I'm not sure all of these search tools I have used have captured all of the more "off-radar" places (lofts, condos, etc.), despite this being the 21st century. I found, in this order:
  1. Manors at Knollwood. 18255 Manorwood South Clinton Township, MI 48038
  2. Thornberry. 5460 Bentley Rd. West Bloomfield, MI 48322
  3. Harvard Oaks. 14834 Lakeside Blvd. N,*Shelby Township,*MI*48315
  4. The Preserves. 3737 Cherry Creek Lane, Sterling Heights, MI 48314
  5. Ashford Apartments. 48377 Commonview Drive, Shelby Township, MI 48317
  6. Shelby Woods North Apartments. 49092 W. Woods Dr. Shelby Township, MI 48317

The lofts never spoke of having attached garages or any space fit for me to work on/repair my car, they also tended to cost >$1300. The houses tended to look more dilapidated for my price range. Both Condos and Lofts also had a tendency to be for purchase less so than rental.

Seed questions to the community:
  1. What other resources would you recommend I use to find the best place in Detroit?
  2. Are there any other suburbs I should focus on?
  3. Any particular websites I should check out?
  4. Any specific lofts, apartment communities, condos, etc. you recommend I check out?

Thank you for any time you could spare.

Last edited by positive.feelings; 04-05-2015 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:29 AM

960 posts, read 1,086,678 times
There are a number of homes for rent in Royal Oak, Berkley, Ferndale, and Madison Heights. You can find 1000 sq ft 3 bed/1 bath homes for rent in your price range. Granted most are 1950s-era bungalows, but some do have garages.

Most of these are found on sites like Craigslist.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,720,156 times
All the cities DTW Flyer mentioned are much more enjoyable for a single 27 year old. Shelby Twp, Sterling Heights, W Bloomfield and Novi are all family centered towns. Focus your search on Royal Oak, Ferndale, Berkley, Clawson, Troy or Midtown/Downtown Detroit. Good luck on the new gig!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:34 AM

Thanks for list of suburbs/neighborhoods. Thank you for the positive wishes belleislerunner.

My thing is that I get caught up on the appearances a lot. A lot of the houses look like, just as you said, from the 50's and only updated in the late 80's, early 90's. I'm willing to pay if I find the right place but no dice just yet... still looking.

Should I be talking to a realtor at this point? LOL

thanks

Old 04-07-2015, 06:18 AM

340 posts, read 862,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by positive.feelings View Post
Thanks for list of suburbs/neighborhoods. Thank you for the positive wishes belleislerunner.

My thing is that I get caught up on the appearances a lot. A lot of the houses look like, just as you said, from the 50's and only updated in the late 80's, early 90's. I'm willing to pay if I find the right place but no dice just yet... still looking.

Should I be talking to a realtor at this point? LOL

thanks
Do not get caught up in appearences. Is just a rental, is not like you are buying the place. With that budget you can easily rent a 2 br house near downtown Ferndale or Royal Oak which will also give you a very easy comute to Warren (I work there too). Not sharing walls and more privacy. Most of those houses will not have a garage though.
Yes, It might be useful to talk to a realtor to help you find what your looking for.
Hope you find something you like.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,714,420 times
There are some new build condos that will fit your needs. Why not look in west side Warren itself? Heritage village has nice condos (not sure if they are rentable) and the drive to Royal Oak or downtown D isn't too far

Old 04-14-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEng View Post
Do not get caught up in appearences. Is just a rental, is not like you are buying the place. With that budget you can easily rent a 2 br house near downtown Ferndale or Royal Oak which will also give you a very easy comute to Warren (I work there too). Not sharing walls and more privacy. Most of those houses will not have a garage though.
Yes, It might be useful to talk to a realtor to help you find what your looking for.
Hope you find something you like.
I've looked at most of those places online through Trulia, Zillow, ApartmentGuide, etc. Maybe because of their age, most are missing common modern practical amenities like counter top space in the kitchen or bathroom, modern appliances, 2nd bathroom. I wouldn't mind buying a washer/dryer - maybe - but not the entire suite of appliances. Some have no interior pictures and leave you clueless. I'll look a look on Craigslist. It's like needle in a haystack. Yes I am picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
There are some new build condos that will fit your needs. Why not look in west side Warren itself? Heritage village has nice condos (not sure if they are rentable) and the drive to Royal Oak or downtown D isn't too far
Yeah those are nice, I called and found out they are not for lease.

Most of these nice condo communities that are being built are only for sale. Then individual owners may choose to rent them out if they don't live there themselves. When that happens you find them listed on Trulia, Zillow, Craigslist, etc. individually. So with that being said, to lease that level of refinement for less than say, $1300/mo for 2Br/2Ba+Garage, I've mostly been pushed out into and past Sterling Heights.

The drive from where I am considering right now in Shelby Township to my job is still half that of what I did at my old job, and my old commute wasn't really a problem to me, except for those late nights at work & wanting to be home pronto haha.

So I am doing my last couple looks before I settle on a place. Of course it's only temporary (1-2yrs), I still want something larger, more unique and closer to activity, but for moving from KY with as little time as I've had to shuffle things around, it's not too bad. And I know with an appropriate down payment and mortgage I can end up paying less per month than these leases so I am advantaged to not stay too long. Once I get to the area I can keep my eye out, and I'll have time to engage realtors and home finders over a period of weeks and months to hit a price point and location.

Detroit and areas north of it are all growing and becoming increasingly competitive it seems. Especially for picking that house in the up and coming neighborhood. I want to get in on the action, there are some really inspiration properties out there that are only for sale.

Last edited by positive.feelings; 04-14-2015 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or