Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:34 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times

Advertisements

This is a huge announcement. Before anyone starts putting in applications, the campus expansion won't be completed for about 6 years. Part of the project will include renovations to the "design dome."

GM seeks tax break on possible $419M Warren investment

I love this picture. The post-modern lobby.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:02 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
This is fantastic news. If this all comes to fruition, it will bring much needed construction, tech, and engineering jobs to the Detroit area and will bring more young professionals to the region.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,260 times
And we wonder why it flooded last summer?! I had no idea there was so much water there!

Old 04-22-2015, 12:01 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,594,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
And we wonder why it flooded last summer?! I had no idea there was so much water there!
There's also a river buried underneath.

https://redrundrain.wordpress.com/20...ps-of-red-run/

Old 04-22-2015, 12:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
I see lots of people writing very negatively about Warren. It's actually a really good community. How many inner ring communities around the US are as substantial as Warren and yet, still able to accommodate normal middle class people?

Old 04-22-2015, 12:49 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,594,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I see lots of people writing very negatively about Warren. It's actually a really good community. How many inner ring communities around the US are as substantial as Warren and yet, still able to accommodate normal middle class people?
Compared to the Rochester Hills, the Novis, the Grosse Pointes, and the Bloomfields of suburbia, most consider Warren to be pretty subpar.

The south side is also way blue collar and people seem to want to dump on blue collar neighborhoods.

I live in Warren and I've spent a lot of time there and I think it's an okay place. The only complaint I have is that the mayor is kind of awkward and weird and likes to think that Warren is somehow this metropolis of a city that just happens to share a border with Detroit. I mean, sure, Warren's the largest Detroit suburb by population, but it's still a suburb.

GM actually was a bit peeved when the mayor had made an announcement about the Tech Center expansion a week ago before anything was finalized. Then he likened GM's expansion for Warren to that of Dan Gilbert's moves in Downtown Detroit. He's just one of those politicians whose always in the news every so often for saying something outrageous.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Compared to the Rochester Hills, the Novis, the Grosse Pointes, and the Bloomfields of suburbia, most consider Warren to be pretty subpar.

The south side is also way blue collar and people seem to want to dump on blue collar neighborhoods.

I live in Warren and I've spent a lot of time there and I think it's an okay place. The only complaint I have is that the mayor is kind of awkward and weird and likes to think that Warren is somehow this metropolis of a city that just happens to share a border with Detroit. I mean, sure, Warren's the largest Detroit suburb by population, but it's still a suburb.

GM actually was a bit peeved when the mayor had made an announcement about the Tech Center expansion a week ago before anything was finalized. Then he likened GM's expansion for Warren to that of Dan Gilbert's moves in Downtown Detroit. He's just one of those politicians whose always in the news every so often for saying something outrageous.
Ugh, hate city officials like that.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:01 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,298,878 times
That's good news. Some of these old buildings could definitely use a facelift.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 AM

What's interesting is that if this announcement were in Georgia, Tennessee, SC or NC, it would be in the New York Times. "2600 high tech auto jobs coming to the Charlotte metro area!"

Here it barely made a blip. It's a huge long term investment though.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:05 AM

809 posts, read 2,408,963 times
It's a shame they didn't decide to move it all to a big plant in the detroit city limits. But it could be worse. That investment could be going to Auburn Hills or South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit