Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:21 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,246,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi90 View Post
And what differentiates them?

- Birmingham
- Northville
- Franklin
- Rochester
- Clarkston
- Orchard Lake area?
- Lake Orion/Metamora?

Families I work with call each home, but we have no idea how to decide. Thank you.

Out in the more affluent areas of Oakland County (Birmingham, Bloomfield) there is a lot more emphasis on conspicuous consumption. The cliche is that that is the nouveau riche while Grosse Pointe is the old WASP money; a commonly used analogy would be that the Oakland County rich people would have a new Mercedes while the Pointers are far more likely to drive a 10 year old Volvo.

Northville is much more like Grosse Pointe but probably even more reserved. It's just kind of a wealthy version of Mayberry. The outward focus on wealth you would find in Birmingham would make you a pariah in Northville.

To me a lot of these traits, though generalizations, are visible in the kids. So part of it is what kind of environment you want your kids to grow up in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:36 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,922,663 times
Very difficult to make such broad generalizations as even properties and areas within each community vary differently. Everyone is quick to generalize Birmingham as to be what it is and yes there are many areas of $1 M plus custom homes or heavily renovated older mansions. There are other areas within Birmingham which tend to be more like Royal Oak or Berkley and are starter homes for young professionals.

Bloomfield Hills proper is generally $1 M + homes on large estate like lots of 1-2 acres. Very little actual public community feel within Bloomfield Hills as it tends to be very private and social networks are formed within private social, community, or country clubs. For a commercial district and entertainment aspect, this tends to Birmingham as there is very little of either in Bloomfield Hills.

Rochester Hills & Clarkston tend to have much newer housing stock, more of the McMansion flavor, but there are some pockets of some very large, new construction homes. They do not have the older pre-WII inner ring feel like Birmingham. However downtown Rochester has some elements of this.

A lot as said all comes down to commute, budget, and housing stock preference. There is no one-size fits all.
That said, most of the public schools in all of these areas are top-notch and some of the best in the state. If you are going to be sending your kids to private school anyways I wouldn't worry so much about the actual school district.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:17 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,392,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Out in the more affluent areas of Oakland County (Birmingham, Bloomfield) there is a lot more emphasis on conspicuous consumption. The cliche is that that is the nouveau riche while Grosse Pointe is the old WASP money; a commonly used analogy would be that the Oakland County rich people would have a new Mercedes while the Pointers are far more likely to drive a 10 year old Volvo.

Northville is much more like Grosse Pointe but probably even more reserved. It's just kind of a wealthy version of Mayberry. The outward focus on wealth you would find in Birmingham would make you a pariah in Northville.

To me a lot of these traits, though generalizations, are visible in the kids. So part of it is what kind of environment you want your kids to grow up in.
You think this is partially reflective of some of the ethnic groups that call places such as Bloomfield Hills (and West Bloomfield) home? For example, it seems like the Chaldeans are huge fans of having luxury cars (Euro vehicles ie. Benz or a Cadillac Escalade). Northville & Grosse Pointe seem WASP'ier in general. Northville does have a sprinkling of affluent Indians & Asians though.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:43 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,475,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
You think this is partially reflective of some of the ethnic groups that call places such as Bloomfield Hills (and West Bloomfield) home? For example, it seems like the Chaldeans are huge fans of having luxury cars (Euro vehicles ie. Benz or a Cadillac Escalade). Northville & Grosse Pointe seem WASP'ier in general. Northville does have a sprinkling of affluent Indians & Asians though.
I think it has more to do with the age of the communities. Northville wasn't considered a wealthy enclave until about 20 years ago. Ditto for Novi. Grosse Pointe, on the other hand, has been wealthy going back over 100 years. A lot of people who currently live in Grosse Pointe also grew up there and feel pressured to live in a certain manner. I think the same is true for Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills, to an extent. That's why I have always preferred the more laid back vibe of the western burbs such as Northville, Plymouth and Novi. They don't have the same level of uptight snobbishness as the GPs do. And, yes, I think the diversity factor helps -- especially in Novi.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,392,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Very difficult to make such broad generalizations as even properties and areas within each community vary differently. Everyone is quick to generalize Birmingham as to be what it is and yes there are many areas of $1 M plus custom homes or heavily renovated older mansions. There are other areas within Birmingham which tend to be more like Royal Oak or Berkley and are starter homes for young professionals.

Bloomfield Hills proper is generally $1 M + homes on large estate like lots of 1-2 acres. Very little actual public community feel within Bloomfield Hills as it tends to be very private and social networks are formed within private social, community, or country clubs. For a commercial district and entertainment aspect, this tends to Birmingham as there is very little of either in Bloomfield Hills.

Rochester Hills & Clarkston tend to have much newer housing stock, more of the McMansion flavor, but there are some pockets of some very large, new construction homes. They do not have the older pre-WII inner ring feel like Birmingham. However downtown Rochester has some elements of this.

A lot as said all comes down to commute, budget, and housing stock preference. There is no one-size fits all.
That said, most of the public schools in all of these areas are top-notch and some of the best in the state. If you are going to be sending your kids to private school anyways I wouldn't worry so much about the actual school district.
Your comments are true to an extent with Bloomfield Hills, but I was honestly surprised at the amount of bargains there are to be had in BH these days. When compared to the crazy housing prices & taxes affluent North Shore & westerns suburbs of Chicago, Metro Detroit just seems like a steal.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:20 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,259,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Probably the first three areas mentioned:

- Birmingham
- Northville
- Franklin
Yeah, I would go with this.

I'm not even sure if Bloomfield is "best". On a per square foot basis, Birmingham is significantly more expensive. Wouldn't that make Birmingham "best"?

Old 07-13-2015, 09:16 AM

8,373 posts, read 7,323,508 times
I'm still scratching my head as to how Lake Orion got on the list.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:39 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,910,950 times
where do people go when they want other people to know they have money
Birmingham
rochestor
gross points

Old 07-13-2015, 09:57 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,259,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
where do people go when they want other people to know they have money
Birmingham
rochestor
gross points
GP is cheap these days and not in the class of BH, Bham, Northville and the like in terms of price.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,851,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
GP is cheap these days and not in the class of BH, Bham, Northville and the like in terms of price.
The Pointes, especially the shores are definitely in the same class, cheaper or not. They have some very beautiful mansions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit