U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,499 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I will be moving to Michigan in Feb and have been looking at home prices online. I wonder if those of you who live in the area can provide some answers for me....I have noticed that the houses on the east side of Troy cost a lot less than those on the west side (even if they are still in the Troy school district). Is there something wrong with that area? I'm referring to the northern part of Troy, between I-75 and and the Macomb county line. The prices seem a little too good to be true, so I'm wondering if they are under a flight path, near a super fund site or have really high crime or something? We would definitely consider living there if it was a nice area, it seems like you can get so much more for your money!

One more question, how long would it take in rush hour to get from the middle of Troy to Southfield (Telegraph road/696).

Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 AM

284 posts, read 1,185,445 times
There's nothing wrong with the east side of Troy - it's just as safe (which is to say extremely safe and little if any crime) and maybe even more convenient than the west side. Not in a flight path or near a super fund site.

The homes in east and west are a bit different - east has older, smaller homes. But if that's what you're looking for then there is no "catch" about east Troy. The other thing is that some of the long standing Bloomfield people have a "territory" in which they would consider living - east of Telegraph but no farther east than Somerset Collection. So there's an underlying prestige issue that I think has kept prices higher in west Troy.

I used to drive from Rochester & Big Beaver to 696 & Telegraph and it took about 30 minutes, on average. I recommend taking Big Beaver/Quarton to Telegraph rather than 75 to 696 - less traffic.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,499 times
Default Thanks

This is perfect, thank you. We don't care much for prestige, just a comfortable area to call home...so glad to here this might work for us!

Thanks for the tips on traffic too. While I was hoping for less than thirty minutes, it sure beats my 1 hour commute now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit