Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,324 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

I'm moving to Michigan in a few weeks time as part of a career move.

I will be working in Monroe. I'm looking to live in an urban/suburban area with a manageable commute. initially looking for an apartment, and subsequently move into a house.

Currently I'm leaning towards Canton, close to a freeway, which would be kept clear in the winter months as well. Any better options. Would definitely prefer a good school district with a moderate cost of living.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 11:19 AM

809 posts, read 2,400,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbaron1234 View Post
Hello Folks,

I will be working in Monroe. I'm looking to live in an urban/suburban area with a manageable commute. initially looking for an apartment, and subsequently move into a house.

Currently I'm leaning towards Canton, close to a freeway, which would be kept clear in the winter months as well. Any better options. Would definitely prefer a good school district with a moderate cost of living.

Thanks for your help.
What do you mean by urban/suburban? Those are two pretty different things. If you want to live in a place with a nice downtown then Monroe has one of those, but really the best in downriver is probably Wyandotte, which has a really nice summer art fair as well.

If school district is most important you could look at Grosse Ile, which has excellent rated schools but seems to have more of a rural feel. You might have a hard time finding an apartment there.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:13 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,253,386 times
Are you going to work at La-z-boy? Congrats on the new gig regardless!

I second Wyandotte - it has a cool downtown, lots of walkable restaurants/bars - it's right on the river for running/boating etc and a easy commute down 75.

Canton is perfectly fine if you're married with 3 kids and the kids play soccer. If you're not - you'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Downtown Monroe actually isn't even that bad -it's just a bit removed from the hustle/bustle of Detroit for entertainment options (sporting events, shows, going out)

Old 08-15-2015, 04:34 PM

944 posts, read 1,197,635 times
Toledo

Old 08-15-2015, 06:34 PM

915 posts, read 1,492,893 times
Road plowing really isn't a priority in Canton. Also, it depends on what school you are assigned to whether or not you'll like the school district (Plymouth Canton). Quality varies greatly between schools.

Not all of Canton is in the PCCS district either, so if schools are important to you, then you really need to pay attention to boundaries.

Also, Canton just isn't the place to go for good restaurants. You will end up elsewhere, despite all of the choices available.

Why not just live in Monroe? I'm not too familiar with downriver, but I know other people can give ideas for that area.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:51 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,124,494 times
Maumee, OH?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:08 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,364,238 times
Canton is suburban sprawl if that is what you like. Nice subdivisions of nearly identical homes and lots of big box stores and strip malls. Traffic is heavy at times. Personally, I think there are much better choices nearby.

If you want to drive as far as Canton, look at Plymouth, Northville and maybe even Ann Arbor. Huron Township is more ruralish and has decent schools. No real town though.

For Monroe I would suggest you focus on either Monroe itself or the downriver area. Monroe has some awesome homes right in town some on the river. It is a quiet town and somewhat faltering, but there is still a lot of neat things there. There are also some really neat homes on large properties in the surrounding area. Once you get out a few miles, it is mostly farmland.

We looked at lot at living there for a time. Ultimately we decided it was too far from everything else. The schools were a concern as well, however there is a decent catholic school there.

Downriver is interesting. Formerly entirely blue collar factory towns, the factories are mostly gone, and a greater variety of people are beginning to adopt downriver. It has a very different vibe form the oakland county area you are considring. Less competitive, more down to earth, some would say more backwards, but I do not find it so. Football and Hockey are big downriver.

Wyandotte is the coolest city in Downriver with a lot to do. It is not the best family place, schools are not so good and crime is a smidge worse than many other downriver communities. There are some great homes and apartments on the waterfront and immediately around the downtown area. One thing neat about Wyandotte, they have their own power plant, so you are not tied to the whims of DTE and the power grid.

Trenton, one town further downriver is more family oriented, quieter, less crime, better schools. Not as much to do there, but they have a nice park and a hockey arena. However Wyandotte is right next door. You could ride a bike or even walk if you are ambitious. They have a great frozen custard place (only open in the summer), and a few good restaurants (Round House Barbque - YUM!)

Grosse Ile is the crown jewel of downriver. It is a fabulous place to live and raise a family. Lots of water, forests, wild animals, bike trails, golf courses, yacht clubs, - just loaded with ameneties, it is like living at a summer camp year round. Crime is essentially nil, but it is expensive and a greater distance to the freeway than most of the other cities. G.I. is probably the nicest (most pleasant) family type place in Detroit metro. If you can afford it and want to add ten to fifteen minutes to your drive, look here. It takes about half an hour to Monroe depending on where you start and where in Monroe you are going. It is 37 minutes to downtown Detroit.

Along the freeway there are several towns that are decent. Nothing exciting, but solid suburban towns with OK schools, decent housing, acceptably low crime, and the normal shopping opportunities. Woodhaven, Southgate, Flat Rock, Brownstown, Rockwood (Rockford? I always forget). All are right on the 75 freeway and just a short hop to Monroe or Detroit.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 PM

464 posts, read 447,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbaron1234 View Post
Hello Folks,

Thanks for your help.
Avoid River Rouge, Ecorse, Lincoln or Allen Parks, Melvindale, Dearborn, or other declining blue collar suburbs.... Canton or Grosse Ile are the best bets. Or you could be adventurous and live right in Monroe. I'm not sure what the school situation is like, but I reckon it's a pretty nice town having driven through it a couple times. It's certainly not ghetto but it has an urban feel to it, especially along Front Street.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:43 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,304,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Toledo

Watch out for duel state income taxes,at least look into.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,324 times
Thank you very much for all the suggestions.

I will definitely look up Grosse Ile, and Wyandotte. I had been considering Northville and Plymouth also.

Thanks a lot for time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit