Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:58 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I suppose that's true but unless you have never left Michigan it's pretty clear that Royal Oak and Ferndale are lame alternatives at best. Downtown and Midtown are getting a lot better but still a far cry from genuine cosmopolitan destinations by any reasonable standards. Thus younger people are likely to continue leaving the state in large numbers for the foreseeable future.
I don't think it's that serious, honestly. Young people are more worried about jobs than urban destinations. That's why there are alot more people moving to cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, ect. than cities like NYC, Philly, ect. Numbers tell it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 11:15 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I don't think it's that serious, honestly. Young people are more worried about jobs than urban destinations. That's why there are alot more people moving to cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, ect. than cities like NYC, Philly, ect. Numbers tell it all.
Sure, jobs probably come first. But we weren't talking about jobs. We were talking about areas that were urban and vibrant and thus attractive to 20-somethings.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:32 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
I suppose that's true but unless you have never left Michigan it's pretty clear that Royal Oak and Ferndale are lame alternatives at best. Downtown and Midtown are getting a lot better but still a far cry from genuine cosmopolitan destinations by any reasonable standards. Thus younger people are likely to continue leaving the state in large numbers for the foreseeable future.
I think you misread my post, lol.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I think you misread my post, lol.
I take it you mean being an African American? Yes, you would be a distinct minority; no, nobody would really notice or care.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:58 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
I take it you mean being an African American? Yes, you would be a distinct minority; no, nobody would really notice or care.
Woah, what? I meant being a young person. I had said most everyone I saw in Northville was middle aged or older. Younger people would look out of place since there was nothing there that seemed to cater to younger people.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:18 PM

650 posts, read 868,071 times
Bloomfield Hills is mostly mansions and people like doctors and lawyers, just so you know.

Northville would be your best option out of those. I would look into other suburbs though if I were you, that would better fit a young person. Try Royal Oak, Ferndale, or downtown Detroit.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:50 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times
Granted, it was the 90s but I lived in Northville in my 20s. I was married though (at 27) so partying at the Wagon Wheel wasn't a big priority for me lol. We chose Northville for its proximity to A2 where my wife was a grad student and Farmington Hills, where I worked. It was also quick enough to get DT for a show or a Wings game. Also close enough to hang with my eastside friends when necessary.

I would do it again but we can't handle the cold anymore. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:02 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,160,711 times
Quote:
You might be surprised my the number of younger, white adults that live in places like Southwest Detroit/Mexicantown and Hamtramck. They are bartenders, artists, musicians, etc. I don't know of these are the same types of people that live in your Andersonville or River North, but they are there.

Have you seen all of the new construction going on in Downtown Ann Arbor? No, because you are in Chicago, but that place has become a major draw for young professionals in this state. See the below link:

20 developments to watch around downtown Ann Arbor

I wonder why Birmingham is often left out of the discussion of places of where to recommend younger professionals to live. The downtown is huge (for a suburb) with mid-rise condos going up (or planned) on every freakin' corner. It is also too bad that downtown Pontiac seems to have waned. Back during the early 2000's, downtown Pontiac was a fantastic nightlife destination, with clubs like Tonic and Clutch Cargos. It seemed Pontiac was on the rise, but it fizzled out.

I think that we can create a dynamic draw for young professionals in the Detroit area by creating a Woodward Rail Corridor. Extend the streetcar up to Birmingham, making it a center-lane running rapid transit train north of Grand Boulevard. It would link and lead to the revitalization of the riverfront, Downtown, Midtown, New Center, the North End, Highland Park, Palmer Park, the State Fairgrounds redevelopment, Ferndale, Royal Oak, and Birmingham.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:09 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
You might be surprised my the number of younger, white adults that live in places like Southwest Detroit/Mexicantown and Hamtramck. They are bartenders, artists, musicians, etc. I don't know of these are the same types of people that live in your Andersonville or River North, but they are there.

Have you seen all of the new construction going on in Downtown Ann Arbor? No, because you are in Chicago, but that place has become a major draw for young professionals in this state. See the below link:

I wonder why Birmingham is often left out of the discussion of places of where to recommend younger professionals to live. The downtown is huge (for a suburb) with mid-rise condos going up (or planned) on every freakin' corner. It is also too bad that downtown Pontiac seems to have waned. Back during the early 2000's, downtown Pontiac was a fantastic nightlife destination, with clubs like Tonic and Clutch Cargos. It seemed Pontiac was on the rise, but it fizzled out.

I think that we can create a dynamic draw for young professionals in the Detroit area by creating a Woodward Rail Corridor. Extend the streetcar up to Birmingham, making it a center-lane running rapid transit train north of Grand Boulevard. It would link and lead to the revitalization of the riverfront, Downtown, Midtown, New Center, the North End, Highland Park, Palmer Park, the State Fairgrounds redevelopment, Ferndale, Royal Oak, and Birmingham.
I would extend that rail to Pontiac. One end of woodward to the other.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post

Again, I'm not going to comment on my personal living situation. Who cares.

Just saying "you'd be surprised' is meaningless. I've looked at the data many times.

We will see what the net change is in Detroit's net numbers when new figures are released. Until then it's just speculation.

Ann Arbor has always been a destination for young people to a certain degree.

That being said, MI continues to lose young, educated people.

Young talent still leaving Michigan - Michigan Future Inc.

Birmingham is far too expensive for most people in their early-mid 20s. Further it lacks genuine urban vibrancy. It's a very upscale suburb with a nice downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit