Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 07:04 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times

Advertisements

Marylee - just for the record - Detroit is far cooler than Warren and most suburbs. Lots of things have changed since you left the state. People came in and rebuilt Detroit - it's an awesome city. Come visit sometime. Metro Detroit - Tourism and Travel | VisitDetroit.com - VisitDetroit.com

The only people who think Detroit is scary are Baby Boomers who have their generational perspective leaving it in the 60's/70's and they will just die off and be replaced by optimistic millenials who share no such collective memory. To people under 35, Detroit has only been a ghetto city so every new building/rehab makes it that much cooler/further along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:00 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Look, people, try to get it straight---

Detroit is DETROIT!!!

It is NOT Warren, Birmingham, Grosse Pointe, etc, etc, etc

My parents left (or fled, whatever makes you happy), from Detroit to Warren. Many years ago. I left Detroit for Texas, haven't been back. All that stuff you read/hear/see about is DETROIT. Not the surrounding cities. Get a map----

Crime rates, property taxes, city income taxes, lack of housing, lack of affordable grocery stores---that applies to DETROIT not the surrounding cities
MaryLeeII never misses an opportunity to denigrate the city of Detroit. Never. She is the classic bitter Ex-Detroiter who entirely blames the fall of Detroit on "those people".

Old 11-04-2015, 09:16 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
I was reluctant to stray from the OP's point, but right now it might not be a bad idea.
Perhaps this might be of interest to the OP.
I am told that we live in a glacial moraine. Recently while doing some construction we found many sheets of rock with lots of fossil shells embedded in them! Not sure how geologically significant this is, but still really cool!

Old 11-04-2015, 01:04 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,233 times
And Detroit seems to get better and better every year. My husband and I were amazed by the changes in the city the last time we went.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:54 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Sorry couldn't resist but Beirut actually has been rebuilt and quite nice. Ironically, there is a very strong connection between Beirut and Detroit.
Great point. Maybe a nickname should be "Shawarma-ville!"

Old 11-04-2015, 01:57 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Marylee - just for the record - Detroit is far cooler than Warren and most suburbs. Lots of things have changed since you left the state. People came in and rebuilt Detroit - it's an awesome city. Come visit sometime. Metro Detroit - Tourism and Travel | VisitDetroit.com - VisitDetroit.com

The only people who think Detroit is scary are Baby Boomers who have their generational perspective leaving it in the 60's/70's and they will just die off and be replaced by optimistic millenials who share no such collective memory. To people under 35, Detroit has only been a ghetto city so every new building/rehab makes it that much cooler/further along.
Not just Millies. Xers are getting interested especially considering the possibility of a strategic relo then eventual retire-in-place situation.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:02 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
[quote=snoopygirlmi;41807991]And Detroit seems to get better and better every year. My husband and I were amazed by the changes in the city the last time we went

Oh, I've seen positive changes, too. Problem is, they never last.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:36 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
MaryLeeII never misses an opportunity to denigrate the city of Detroit. Never. She is the classic bitter Ex-Detroiter who entirely blames the fall of Detroit on "those people".

I never said "those people"

But on whom am I supposed to blame the fall of Detroit? Me It was already fallen when I left, sorry, guess I did it!

Old 11-04-2015, 05:51 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Look, people, try to get it straight---

Detroit is DETROIT!!!

It is NOT Warren, Birmingham, Grosse Pointe, etc, etc, etc

My parents left (or fled, whatever makes you happy), from Detroit to Warren. Many years ago. I left Detroit for Texas, haven't been back. All that stuff you read/hear/see about is DETROIT. Not the surrounding cities. Get a map----

Crime rates, property taxes, city income taxes, lack of housing, lack of affordable grocery stores---that applies to DETROIT not the surrounding cities
Marylee you can't incite a flame war in the Detroit section and then report to the moderators that people are making "personal attacks" at you. Sorry, quit trolling.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:37 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
We have tons of hills here in Farmington Hills! Really! Right now with the hills, colorful trees and gorges it's knock-out gorgeous. We did some amazing hiking yesterday. Now WNY where I moved from...THAT is flat.
On the other hand, it's much easier to ride a bike there.
WNY is flat?

OP, certain parts of the metro are more integrated like Farmington/Farmington Hills, Oak Park, the Plymouth/Canton area, the Belleville area, Westfield and some others. So, it depends on where you are in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit