Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 850 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Im a current student at Wayne State University here in Detroit Michigan and live with my family just off campus.

Due to family problems, I am wanting to leave home. I am 18 and this is completely legal.

The problem, however, is that I don't have money, or a job. And I don't know how to drive or be an adult. My family has put a leash on me my whole life and never let me out of the house except to school and back.

I don't want to be home, but I want to stay in school and not be homeless either.

I don't know where to start, either. I don't know how to file taxes, or complete my FAFSA, or what to do. I feel lost and confused, but I know that I cannot be home any longer.

Can anyone point me to the right direction? Provide me links or resources? What do I do? How do I begin life on my own without a family?

Once again I am 18, I live in Detroit Michigan and I attend Wayne State University.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 12:26 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Talk to your councilor at your school for some guidance as for what you need to do for financial aid for living on your own while you play catch up on adulthood.
https://wayne.edu/students/

Old 02-02-2016, 03:48 PM

321 posts, read 419,951 times
Student services at WSU is going to be your savior. They will tell you how to fill out your fafsa etc.. Turbotax makes basic taxes easy. Get a job on campus, and apply for student loans that will cover your housing expenses. Studio apartments in midtown should not be too expensive, especially more towards 3rd street off of Willis or Canfield or Alexandrine. You might also want to look into a roommate situation.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:53 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times
while its none of my business, and feel free to tell my so, but are you on this tight leash because of some ethnic/cultural/religious "tradition" or "norm"?

Old 02-03-2016, 05:37 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
This is very elementary. You can't leave home until you can afford it on your own. Unlike you like the idea of living under a freeway overpass. Your focus should be on college - and getting a job. No one's family is perfect - and unless you are physically/sexually being abused - you're likely just setting yourself up for failure in life if you leave home before graduating college - unless you have a plan. You really need to focus on your mental state as well - you're the prime target for a "smooth talker" who will let you live with said individual in exchange for free rent/adult favors - who then could make your life even more confusing. It's normal to feel frustrated at 18. Start with the small steps - take a driving course (i.e. learn to drive) while attending class. But if you don't have transportation, your "jobs" if you move out are going to be limited to $10/hr restaurant work which will barely get you by.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,209 times
Yep, this was my life until I was about 20. Growing up in a very conservative, religious home I felt trapped. I couldn't make it on my own, but because I was attending college nearby home, I too ended up being helped by the student services at WSU - but in my case this was Weber State University

I was able to apply for my FAFSA, get things financially squared away, and then the next year I transferred university to one that was a few hours away from home. Once I was there, it was crazy just how quickly life changed. I moved into some student housing, stayed committed to my schooling, and had great roommates who taught me how to do things like.. ride the bus, get a job, go on dates, file taxes, set up a dentist appointment...

You can do it! Definitely start by using the services at Wayne State. File a FAFSA, get some grants or loans (but be super conservative with your loans, don't go out to eat or buy fancy new clothes with the money). Then find some inexpensive, safe student housing where you can have some roommates who you can learn from and who can learn from you. Major in something that'll let you pay back those student loans - like science, engineering or business. You don't need to transfer schools, I did that because I always wanted to be an Aggie, but I know I'm happy I did that.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:49 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Don't feel sorry for yourself. There are millions of young people like you, products of a failed education system that teaches such useless subjects as Shakespeare and Calculus, but hot how to fill out a tax form.

Get yourself a job, no matter where it is. You will need work experience down the road no matter what field you go into. Besides, it will get you out of the house and provide income. Force yourself to save some of your income, at least as much as you would spend on rent, utilities, etc. if you were living on your own.

Don't be so hard on your parents. They meant well by being overprotective. You said you live just off campus. That can't be a great neighborhood. Imagine where you'd be if your parents let you roam the streets. Just look at some of your peers who were allowed to do so. The older you get, the more you will appreciate this. I do.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:18 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Why don't you apply for loan and move in to dorm at wayne state?

Talk to the financial aid office in welcome center
Talk to a councilor (I believe they are in UGL library). They will be able to guide you and help you.
You should also talk to real psychologist available for free to students, they are in the Student center in 5 or 6th floor. I forgot.

Moving out is easy but getting a stronger mentality & getting a hold of life is much more important. They councilor will help you, its an amazing service they didn't have when I was there. As other posters mentioned, you might be your current position because of culture norm. But realize many other girls (assuming you are a girl) are from similar background and situation as you but they didn't let the situation define them. They managed to be independent while still living with parents and still taking part in many traditions. Being confident helps one deal with their situation. In life there will be many unpleasant situation & it is up to you to always be in control instead of letting the situation control you.

For now: Keep exploring by talking to the above people I mentioned while you get your basics together. Which are
1) filing FAFSA and student loan.
2) Apply for Work study so you can get a job on campus or apply for job walking distance from wayne
3) learn to drive or take public transportation

IF after all the above you still feel the need to move, you will be in better situation

Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Don't feel sorry for yourself. There are millions of young people like you, products of a failed education system that teaches such useless subjects as Shakespeare and Calculus, but hot how to fill out a tax form.

Get yourself a job, no matter where it is. You will need work experience down the road no matter what field you go into. Besides, it will get you out of the house and provide income. Force yourself to save some of your income, at least as much as you would spend on rent, utilities, etc. if you were living on your own.

Don't be so hard on your parents. They meant well by being overprotective. You said you live just off campus. That can't be a great neighborhood. Imagine where you'd be if your parents let you roam the streets. Just look at some of your peers who were allowed to do so. The older you get, the more you will appreciate this. I do.
LOL at the Shakespeare comment. Although folks that love literature and artsy stuff may appreciate Shakespeare, he sure as hell ain't gonna be payin' our bills LMAO.

Calculus could come in handy for some uber-quant nerd that aspires to become the next multimillionaire in Wall Street or Silicon Valley. I doubt it has been that useful for the vast majority of us.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
LOL at the Shakespeare comment. Although folks that love literature and artsy stuff may appreciate Shakespeare, he sure as hell ain't gonna be payin' our bills LMAO.

Calculus could come in handy for some uber-quant nerd that aspires to become the next multimillionaire in Wall Street or Silicon Valley. I doubt it has been that useful for the vast majority of us.
I can assure you, from personal experience, that the use of calculus within one's career does not make one a multi-millionaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: