Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,796 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

My wife and I moving to Detroit in a month or so and have been looking at rentals. I will be working at the very south end of Detroit so we have been looking at renting in the Downriver area, but we have also been looking at Canton and Dearborn. We have been trying to decide between renting a house or renting an apartment. We are looking for something 2-3 bedrooms with an attached garage being a major plus. My wife will be home most of the time so a quiet safe area is a must. My contract is supposed to last a couple years so we want to stay at this place for a while. My max budget is around $1500/month but I'd like to keep it under that if possible.

For what we want, renting a house definitely seems like the better solution but as newcomers to the city I am worried about the house being in a bad area... I have read through a lot of posts here and it sounds like the Downriver area is safe, but not being from here I'm wary. From what I have seen many of the apartments have controlled access in and out and security but for what we want it's more expensive than renting a house.

So I guess my question is this: do you think as newcomers we'd be alright renting a house in the Downriver area? Do any of you have any recommendations for an apartment in the Downriver area or SW Detroit? Any other recomendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times
I believe Riverview is very safe although I don't know much about rent rates.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:04 PM

18 posts, read 26,607 times
Which area are you working in? $1500/month can get you in a very nice apartment or moderate house in any of the neighboring downriver suburbs. I'd recommend Flat Rock, Riverview, Trenton, Wyandotte, or Brownstown.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
Which area are you working in? $1500/month can get you in a very nice apartment or moderate house in any of the neighboring downriver suburbs. I'd recommend Flat Rock, Riverview, Trenton, Wyandotte, or Brownstown.
I'm working in the part of Detroit that borders River Rouge off of the I-75. Those are the suburbs I have been looking at as it's really close to work and are well priced. Compared to where I lived before some of the homes are so well priced it seems too good of a deal lol. Is there a minimum price I should be aware of, like don't go under $1000/month? I would much rather get a house but the security at some of the more expensive apartments is tempting, but again I'm not sure if it's necessary. From what I have seen online the Downriver suburbs are some of the safest in the state.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times
Nothing says security quite like a gun I like to say.

As a sidebar if you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon in North Dakota Michigan accepts it.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:02 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
"Downriver" encompasses a large area in southern Wayne County, and the suburbs range from wealthy (Grosse Ile) to poor (River Rouge).

Trenton and Riverview are generally safe, family-friendly, quiet suburbs. Wyandotte is very nice and has a robust downtown with a lot of nightlife.

That's where I would recommend looking.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:56 PM

169 posts, read 185,352 times
You'd be better off renting a house downriver because house rent prices are comparable to apartment rent prices. If you don't have kids, I'd look in either Wyandotte or Southgate. Wyandotte is a bit nicer, but they're comparable. Stay away from Lincoln Park, River Rouge, Ecorse and Southwest Detroit. Too much crime in those areas.

If you had kids, I'd suggest Trenton, Woodhaven, Riverview or Brownstown because the schools are better, but the commute would be longer.

Again, in your case, without kids, Wyandotte and Southgate are your best bets. If you're commuting to River Rouge, you'll have a 10 minute drive. There are plenty of houses up for rent in both cities.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:32 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
I work in Wyandotte and it is a nice little city with nice park & nice restaurant. I would say get a house if you are staying for few years. Most people rent apt when they are on less than one year rotation

Old 03-14-2016, 09:16 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
A lot of it has changed (moved out of state but visit often, family still lives there), the housing bust hurt the downriver area. Home sales are climbing but not where they used to be. Homes are affordable but property taxes can be higher than expected. A drive to Rouge (what locals call it) is going to be pretty easy from any of the cities listed below.

Grosse Ile is very nice but there are not a lot of rentals. A mix of upper middle class to wealthy. A cute island with great schools. My first choice if I ever moved back.

Trenton is nice, close to a lot of shopping in Woodhaven.

Woodhaven is decent, mix of older subs from the 60's to newer developments.

Riverview is decent. Homes off of Fort street generally due not have basements because of the rock quarry.

Wyandotte is a mix of blue collar and white collar. Cute downtown area, art fair every summer, then there is bishop park on the river. Wyandotte is probably the city that has more to do.

If you have a specific area in mind message me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit