Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,765 times

Advertisements

I know someone who went to school in Des Moines and loves it there! Great size and amenities, I hear. She wants to stay. I bet it can't compare to Michigan for beauty, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 04:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
I know someone who went to school in Des Moines and loves it there! Great size and amenities, I hear. She wants to stay. I bet it can't compare to Michigan for beauty, though.
Depends on where in Michigan. It compares favorably to Dundee. But no one can pronounce Des Moines.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:55 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,160,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Jobs and healthy/active/fun lifestyle. That's what most Millennials seem to want. The cheap price tag can only have so much allure.

As a Millennial who grew up in Metro Detroit, I have to say that Detroit still has a long way to go. Midtown is coming along in its own way. But downtown is still pretty fragmented and there isn't much going on outside of Greektown. I will give credence to Detroit as a good sports town. I'm really looking forward to the new hockey arena and entertainment district.

I live in Denver now and I can tell you what has made this one of the most popular relocation destinations in the US. Jobs, mountains (Detroit has the river and lakes though), dry/mild climate, craft brew, night life, pot, and good public transit. I know some of these things are out of the control of Detroit. However, the city/region needs to be far more progressive if it wants to attract the next gen workforce and businesses. Businesses will come with the cheap price tag, but they're not going to come if there's not a large talent pool. Detroit needs to start focusing on ways to attract the younger workforce. They are working on it, but it's going to take some time I think.
There is a lot more to Downtown than Greektown. I don't know if you are the poster formerly known as "Tekkie" that moved away a couple of year ago, but Downtown was getting better than and really taking off, although we still have a ways to go.

-The Campus Martius area is fairly busy, even on the weekends during good weather (mid-late spring, summer, and early fall).
CM has a sandy beach area with a bar & grill

-During seasonable weather, the Riverwalk from Joe Louis Arena to William Milliken Park is teeming with people
There are bike rentals at the Rivard Plaza

-The Capitol Park area has seen a lot of development
See inside Detroit's swanky $8 million Albert Kahn building redevelopment in Capitol Park | MLive.com
DIME: Detroit Institute of Music Education
Capital Park Building will offer 63 apartments, 19,000 sq feet of retail
Detroit Savings Bank Building (Formerly the United Way) - 56 high-end apartments
Restoration of Farwell Building has just begun
Former Capitol Park strip club demolished to make way for Detroit micro-apartments

Other Great News in Downtown over the last 2 years:
Wurlitzer Building - ASH Design Moves Ahead with Hotel Plan for Wurlitzer Building - Curbed Detroit

Metropolitan Building - Metropolitan Building to Become Element Detroit Hotel - Curbed Detroit

Nike Store to open May 26th

John Varvatos, high-end clothier/tailor opens Detroit Store

MooseJaw Brands Showcase store opened in April 2016

Aloft Hotel to open in Downtown Detroit

The Griswold - a $24 million development with 80 apartments

List of Restaurants/Cafes/Bars that have opened up the past 2 years:
Chain:
Which Wich
Potbelly
Table Tennis Social Club
Punch Bowl Social
Granite City Food & Brewery
Panera Bread
Starbucks

Independent:
Central Kitchen & Bar
Wright and Co.
Republic
Parks & Rec
Townhouse
Hudson Café
Carnival Fresh Mex
Jose’s Tacos
Dime Store
Mike’s Kabob Grille
Dilla’s Donuts
Athen’s Souvlaki
Dessert Oasis Coffee Roasters
ASHE Supply Co. (Coffee Shop)
Downtown Louie’s Lounge
GO! Smoothies
Detroit Water & Ice
Chickpea in the D
Cornerstone Barrel House
Krema (Gelato and donuts)
Mo' Better Blues
Centre Park Bar
Savannah Blue (soul food)

Opening Soon:
Queen's Bar and Grill
New Mexican eatery to fill former Olga's space downtown
Wahlburgers' Detroit shop set; El Charro hits the road

Some restaurants have passed or moved - Bagger Dave's, Louisiana Gumbo, Bucharest Grill, Tacos & Tequila, Wahoo, Olga's Kitchen, Ben & Jerry's

Also, there have been amazing advances in the Midtown, Corktown and Eastern Market districts, and a few good developments going on the East Riverfront and New Center.

Also, West Village has some good businesses open in the past 2 years or so:
Belle Isle Pizza
Craft Work
Red Hook (Coffee shop)
Sister Pie
Detroit Vegan Soul
Parker Street Market (Boutique grocery store)
Tarot & Tie
Detroit Body Garage
Goodness Gracious (Flower Shop)

Soon to open:
Brix Wine & Charcuterie
Geiger Eat Shop

Last edited by usroute10; 05-24-2016 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 01:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
There is a lot more to Downtown than Greektown. I don't know if you are the poster formerly known as "Tekkie" that moved away a couple of year ago, but Downtown was getting better than and really taking off, although we still have a ways to go.

-]
Since 2013 there have been 130 new restaurants and bars. Nt even practical to make a list. By the time you finish the list you would need to add more. Not really an explosion, but a nice steady uptick in avialable options and now we have reached the point where it is like a real city (not yet like a great city, but at least it is a city now).

Old 05-26-2016, 11:30 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Since 2013 there have been 130 new restaurants and bars. Nt even practical to make a list. By the time you finish the list you would need to add more. Not really an explosion, but a nice steady uptick in avialable options and now we have reached the point where it is like a real city (not yet like a great city, but at least it is a city now).
130? wow. And some 5ish years ago I called myself supporting all the new businesses that opened up in the city. Ha. I'm wayyyy behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit