U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 12:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,943,967 times

Advertisements

In the next 6 months... things are going to be looking a little "busier" as far as public transportation goes. Glad to hear public transportation is making great strides in improving. More 24 hour routes, express routes, and peak hour routes and improving frequency on existing routes. There will also be improved service to better connect neighborhoods job centers like downtown and midtown and better service to Eastern Market on Saturdays. Just like it should be... the buses are going to be running 24 hours on all the main arteries coming out of downtown, overall about 6 new 24 hour routes. Looking at the route plans... it looks like no neighborhood in Detroit will be more than a couple miles from a 24 hour route (although they should of made Livernois 24 hours). Overall great news.

General overview:
  • No. 9 Chalmers -- Move southern end of route from Wayburn Loop. First/last stop to be on Maryland across from Grosse Pointe Park police station.
  • No. 14 Crosstown -- Add 24-hour service and improve frequency. Move western end of route from Pierson Loop to Warren and Telegraph.
  • No. 16 Dexter -- Add 24-hour service. Change in weekday downtown routing. First/last stop to be on on Jefferson between Griswold and Shelby.
  • No. 17 Eight Mile -- One earlier and one later trip in each direction. Other minor adjustments.
  • No. 25 Jefferson -- Move eastern end of route from Wayburn Loop to on-street loop. New bus stop to be on Maryland across from Grosse Pointe Park police station.
  • No. 45 Seven Mile -- Add 24-hour service. Other minor adjustments.
  • No. 95 Ryan Express -- New route, offering weekday service during peak hours. Connects neighborhoods to downtown via E. Outer Drive, Ryan, Nevada, Conant, Caniff, Lumpkin, Holbrook and I-75.
  • No. 96 Joy Express -- New route, offering weekday service during peak hours. Connects neighborhoods to downtown via Evergreen, Joy and I-96.
  • No. 498 Reflex Woodward -- Limited-stop express service operated by DDOT to and from Detroit and Troy. Operates in conjunction with similar service operated by Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation on Gratiot.
  • Fresh Wagon -- New service connecting six neighborhoods and Eastern Market on Saturdays.
  • No. 22 Greenfield -- Improve service span to 5:15 a.m. to 12:45 a.m. and other minor adjustments.
  • No. 25 Jefferson -- Add 24-hour service, and improve morning peak and mid-day frequency.
  • No. 37 Michigan -- Add 24-hour service, and improve frequency during peak and mid-day hours on weekdays and mid-day frequency on Saturdays and Sundays.
  • No. 42 North End Loop -- New route, operates in a clockwise, one-way loop. Replaces parts of discontinued No. 49 Vernor.
  • No. 48 Van Dyke/Lafayette -- Add 24-hour service, and other minor adjustments.
  • No. 49 Vernor -- Discontinue weekday peak-hour segment between Rosa Parks Transit Center and Manchester and Woodward. Oakland segment is picked up by No. 42 North End Loop. Eastbound routing on Howard between Trumbull and Third switches to Lafayette.
  • No. 80 Villages Direct -- New weekday peak-hour route, connects neighborhoods to Midtown and New Center destinations.
  • No. 89 Southwest Direct -- New weekday peak-hour route, connects neighborhoods to Midtown and New Center destinations.
  • No. 92 Rosedale Express -- New weekday peak-hour route, connects neighborhoods to Downtown.
  • No. 19 Fort -- On weekdays, convert "Bassett" trips to Southwest Direct, and other adjustments, including improved mid-day frequency on Sundays.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...vice/87266582/

Last edited by MS313; 07-22-2016 at 01:23 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 12:01 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,424,502 times
-I love the idea of the New direct routes to Eastern Market on Saturdays. Making fresh fruit and vegetables more accessible to all people in the Detroit neighborhoods

-As a Warrendale resident, I always wondered why the Warren Avenue bus route ended at Rouge Park because there is another neighborhood beyond Rouge Park, called Parkland, which does not get any DDOT bus coverage! This extension serves that neighborhood and also provides a connection to Hines Drive Parkway and the Telegraph SMART BUS (Route 275)

-As a Warrendale resident, a Joy Road Express bus sound fabulous, and something that I will definitely use. The regular Joy Road bus takes an hour to get from Downtown to near my part of the 'hood.

-I hope that the new Villages Direct and Southwest Direct routes can attract the young professionals who live in greater downtown area to get to/from places like Mexicantown, the East Riverfront, and West Village. This is the opportunity to ditch the car and truly live that urban lifestyle.

-This plan does not restore 24-hour bus service on Fort (Route 19) and Hamilton (Route 23), but maybe they will in the future. The 24-hour service on Michigan Ave is interesting , because Michigan Ave service ended at 11:00 pm even before the deep service cuts of 2012/3.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:23 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,943,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
-I love the idea of the New direct routes to Eastern Market on Saturdays. Making fresh fruit and vegetables more accessible to all people in the Detroit neighborhoods

-As a Warrendale resident, I always wondered why the Warren Avenue bus route ended at Rouge Park because there is another neighborhood beyond Rouge Park, called Parkland, which does not get any DDOT bus coverage! This extension serves that neighborhood and also provides a connection to Hines Drive Parkway and the Telegraph SMART BUS (Route 275)

-As a Warrendale resident, a Joy Road Express bus sound fabulous, and something that I will definitely use. The regular Joy Road bus takes an hour to get from Downtown to near my part of the 'hood.

-I hope that the new Villages Direct and Southwest Direct routes can attract the young professionals who live in greater downtown area to get to/from places like Mexicantown, the East Riverfront, and West Village. This is the opportunity to ditch the car and truly live that urban lifestyle.

-This plan does not restore 24-hour bus service on Fort (Route 19) and Hamilton (Route 23), but maybe they will in the future. The 24-hour service on Michigan Ave is interesting , because Michigan Ave service ended at 11:00 pm even before the deep service cuts of 2012/3.
Honestly, I don't think DDOT is done yet, at least I hope not. They have actually been making some good moves lately and being alot more efficient. One of the worst things you can do to a major city is make public transportation nearly unreliable. Take subways away from NYC and watch what happens. For people without a car, DDOT alone makes them consider moving out of the city if their job or basic amenities isn't very accessible from where they live. I will never expect DDOT to be the best PT system in the country, but if people start trusting them again and DDOT continues to improve, I predict that it will improve Detroit's household income, unemployment rate, and population loss, which ultimately will attract new businesses and even more jobs.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:54 AM

2,574 posts, read 1,926,566 times
Thank god. I have so many family members that need ride to work & only a month ago I made a thread asking how the bus is in Detroit area. 2 of them are currently taking bus to Downtown for jobs but it will be amazing if the DDOt system worked better. Really happy about this

Another move in right direction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or