U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 01:42 PM

470 posts, read 171,959 times

Advertisements

I went to Detroit to visit my college roommate from Bloomfield Hills, the suburbs of Detroit super nice. The city of Detroit is coming back a little, they still have their social issues but the people in the Detroit metro overall is pretty cool they have mostly really down to earth and personable not as much as Southern cities but really good for the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 01:48 PM

6,942 posts, read 4,957,831 times
Here is the thing.......you never say where you are FROM and what you are comparing Detroit to....in particular. You just talk in vague generalities. I might see a women and think she is beautiful....TO ME and you might not find her that appealing. That is the thing. You will not show me your girl.....you just want to tell me that mine does not look good to you. Well......show me your girl! She might not look good to me either. That is what makes the world go around. There are all different kinds of people with all different kinds of taste. There are a lot of cities, say Des Moines, Iowa, for example, that has lot of great statistics on paper, regarding employment, crime, schools....etc....but guess what.....I would rather live in Detroit proper than to live in Des Moines, Iowa.

I am glad you shared your experience and I enjoyed reading it. I like to hear different perspectives, but we must always understand that perspective is subjective. Life in the city of Detroit is not the Hell people make it out to be and Cities proper are really meaningless. Most of Metro Detroit is NICE. Every metro area has less than desirable areas. I actually think Detroit suburbs are better than most suburbs of many metro areas, especially the South. The crime is lower and the schools are better. In other words, the city of Detroit might be worst than most.....but that is balanced off by suburbs better than most....netting to no real difference in regards to the area as a whole. Take the Atlanta area, most of the murders in Metro Atlanta take place outside Atlanta proper, meaning that the suburbs have more than twice as many murders as the city of Atlanta itself, even though the city of Atlanta has a murder rate lower than the city of Detroit, Detroit suburbs do not have the level of crime as Atlanta suburbs.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:37 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,392,928 times
This guy didn't even live in the city proper.

Everybody and they mama knows that Detroit is the least vibrant and depressed big city in the country. What did you expect?

That being said - there are 2 other neighborhoods in the city where there are a large concentration of restaurants and bars - Midtown and Corktown. If this guy lived in the city, he would have known that.

Did you ever visit Eastern Market?

Did you ever visit Belle Isle?

Did you ever stroll along the Riverwalk?

And because Detroit was so thoroughly abandoned by people with money, that several of its older streetcar suburbs became centers of nightlife - Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, and for a time, Pontiac. Did you hang out in those downtowns?

Old 08-21-2016, 10:22 PM

3,252 posts, read 3,464,429 times
I'm going to have to disagree too on the 98% comment. Assuming the 2% your talking about is downtown... there are multiple neighborhoods all around the city that are nicer than downtown.
Quote:
Everybody and they mama knows that Detroit is the least vibrant and depressed big city in the country. What did you expect?
I'm sorry but that's bs. You do not see more people walking around the typical average neighborhood in Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Charlotte, STL, Houston, ect nor does it even appear busier than the typical average neighborhood in Detroit. Which makes since if you compare the population density of Detroit from the 2010 census... it's right in the middle of the pack. Some of the major cities I've been to, their average neighborhood is more comparable to the density and vibrancy of Southfield or Livonia.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:47 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,076,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slother View Post
I moved to Detroit in 2014 and just left. I wanted to say thanks for the good times

Pros: A lot of job opportunities.. seemed like every day I was getting an offer (in the auto industry). The people I worked with were very nice and I made life long friends. The weather really didn't faze me as I am from the Midwest already. I really enjoyed the summers.. not really hot but sunny.

There is a lot exciting things to do in the area.. museums, sports, car shows, boating, etc. I think the city would be fun to visit for a weekend.

Cons: Roads are horrible, especially for a major city. Its hard to find a city this size, with no real public transportation, and with this weather.. so I understand why the roads are so beat up. The area (state/greater Detroit area) can't afford to pave all of their roads.. this got old real quick.

Everyone is so spread out.. 2 people I worked with live 3 hours apart, and this was common.

I wouldn't not recommend Detroit to anyone, but I would tell everyone to visit first and try to understand the greater area. There is no other city like it.. There are nice pockets of the city, especially downtown that I enjoyed to visit.. would never raise a family there. I would say 2% of the actual city of Detroit is nice, 98% crap. Sorry, just the truth.

Thanks for the good times again
I generally understand where you're coming from and agree with some of what you say. However the 2% good/98% crap is overly harsh and way over the top and ridiculous. There are a number of really nice (Indian Village, Palmer Woods/Sherwood Forest, Lafayette Park, Midtown, Jefferson Ave waterfront corridor, Boston-Edison), and very solid (Corktown, Mexicantown, several far northwestern) neighborhoods, in addition to downtown, which is improving rapidly. The problem is that many of these areas are insular in that they have nice homes and safe neighborhoods to live in but don't have unifying commercial walking areas attached them (like say suburban Royal Oak, Grosse Pointe, Birmingham and even Hamtramck). You usually have to get in your car and drive to big boxes or strip mall type districts for entertainment and goods & services. There's just a near total absence of high/moderate density, mixed-use commercial strips ... modest areas of this exist in Midtown, Corktown and Mexicantown, but are under developed compared to those of most older Northern mature cities like Detroit...

... and your comment I most agree with is regarding Detroit's mass transit; it's by far the worst per capita of any major city in the U.S.; probably all of North America. Detroit is indeed loaded with culture, quality restaurant and entertainment venues and other urban adventures... but it will never develop into the city it needs to be, and can be, without developing a serious mass transit system, including a sizable rail rapid transit component... and I don't mean a 4-mile streetcar line and 2-mile, one-way elevated People Mover. The City will continue to seem -- as it seems to you -- to be spread out and discordant. Detroiters who continue to believe mass transit won't work there, isn't needed and/or a waste of money and time are simply whistling past the graveyard.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:51 AM

16 posts, read 8,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Here is the thing.......you never say where you are FROM and what you are comparing Detroit to....in particular. You just talk in vague generalities. I might see a women and think she is beautiful....TO ME and you might not find her that appealing. That is the thing. You will not show me your girl.....you just want to tell me that mine does not look good to you. Well......show me your girl! She might not look good to me either. That is what makes the world go around. There are all different kinds of people with all different kinds of taste. There are a lot of cities, say Des Moines, Iowa, for example, that has lot of great statistics on paper, regarding employment, crime, schools....etc....but guess what.....I would rather live in Detroit proper than to live in Des Moines, Iowa.

I am glad you shared your experience and I enjoyed reading it. I like to hear different perspectives, but we must always understand that perspective is subjective. Life in the city of Detroit is not the Hell people make it out to be and Cities proper are really meaningless. Most of Metro Detroit is NICE. Every metro area has less than desirable areas. I actually think Detroit suburbs are better than most suburbs of many metro areas, especially the South. The crime is lower and the schools are better. In other words, the city of Detroit might be worst than most.....but that is balanced off by suburbs better than most....netting to no real difference in regards to the area as a whole. Take the Atlanta area, most of the murders in Metro Atlanta take place outside Atlanta proper, meaning that the suburbs have more than twice as many murders as the city of Atlanta itself, even though the city of Atlanta has a murder rate lower than the city of Detroit, Detroit suburbs do not have the level of crime as Atlanta suburbs.
I came from Nashville but also spent time in Denver.

I agree a lot of metro Detroit is nice.. only speaking about Detroit proper.

I agree about Atlanta having visit a lot for work.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:55 AM

16 posts, read 8,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
This guy didn't even live in the city proper.

That being said - there are 2 other neighborhoods in the city where there are a large concentration of restaurants and bars - Midtown and Corktown. If this guy lived in the city, he would have known that.

Did you ever visit Eastern Market?

Did you ever visit Belle Isle?

Did you ever stroll along the Riverwalk?

And because Detroit was so thoroughly abandoned by people with money, that several of its older streetcar suburbs became centers of nightlife - Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, and for a time, Pontiac. Did you hang out in those downtowns?
I lived in Ferndale, frequented the areas you mentioned.

I also have been to Midtown and Corktown.. I agree they have bars and restaurants. So does every other metro area in the world. Most people in Detroit point to Corktown as some Mecca when someone talks bad about their city.

Corktown would be considered one of the dirtiest, run down, disgusting neighborhoods in any other city. Abandoned houses, garbage in yards, sidewalks torn up. Great place to raise a family

Old 08-22-2016, 10:10 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,076,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slother View Post
I came from Nashville but also spent time in Denver.

I agree a lot of metro Detroit is nice.. only speaking about Detroit proper.

I agree about Atlanta having visit a lot for work.
No, I wasn't speaking of the burbs, which are generally great compared to other city's, I was speaking of Detroit proper. Those nice neighborhoods, especially Palmer Woods (which is like an old wealthy suburb), are south of 8 Mile Road and well withing Detroit's city limits.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:14 AM

18,810 posts, read 50,218,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Y or Los Angeles with coworkers from Barstow and Bakersfield.

Apparently never lived there. Lancaster and South Orange County are well over three hours form each other in most commuter traffic. To have some certainty of being on time, I had to leave 2.5 hours from central OC to downtown LA. You do not have to go as far even as Lancaster to get 3 hours form OC. In fact, in rush hour, you are three hours away just in Downtown.

In Detroit Metro I can see some places people might actually commute from approaching that time, but it would be extreme commutes, like say Monroe and China. In rush hour that would be 3 hours apart. OP was probably exaggerating, but not absurdly so.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:42 AM

2,839 posts, read 1,118,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Apparently never lived there. Lancaster and South Orange County are well over three hours form each other in most commuter traffic. To have some certainty of being on time, I had to leave 2.5 hours from central OC to downtown LA. You do not have to go as far even as Lancaster to get 3 hours form OC. In fact, in rush hour, you are three hours away just in Downtown.

In Detroit Metro I can see some places people might actually commute from approaching that time, but it would be extreme commutes, like say Monroe and China. In rush hour that would be 3 hours apart. OP was probably exaggerating, but not absurdly so.
These communities are not really part of Metro, technically speaking. Monroe is farther away than Ann Arbor. I once worked with someone commuting daily from around West Branch, this doesn't make it a typical commute. It's people who live in one area yet for whatever reason chose to commute to a completely different metropolitan area rather than relocate.

I've lived and / or worked in many cities, including Atlanta, DFW, SF, NYC, Boston and Chicago. I'd say Detroit has, by far, the easiest traffic of all major cities I've spent any time in. It is getting worse, and the roads are absolutely awful, but the traffic is still nowhere near Atlanta's rush hour traffic. I-696 may be packed bumper to bumper, but it's bumper to bumper moving at 70mph. There are pockets of subdivisions which grew too rapidly and the road system didn't catch up with population growth - like northwestern suburbs - but even there, it's not as bad as some of the large cities I've been to.

I drive about 36 miles to work, about a third of it not on the freeway, and it takes me about an hour in the rush hour traffic. Sometimes less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit