Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 08:23 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,178 times

Advertisements

Hahaha!!! That's rich! You sure are good at reversing things, Nola! It's readily apparent that YOU spend your day on here! (It's very odd, by the way). And you DO NOT live in Michigan now. You are NOT currently in touch with what is happening, except via internet and perhaps occasional visits. You are by no means an expert on any of the cities you feign to know all about. Well, perhaps Brooklyn and thereabouts. You claim to have expertise regarding most cities in the world! Most countries!!! And you spend a large part of your day arguing with those who dare disagree with your sage pronouncements. It's ummmm...well... you might want to consider taking better care of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:33 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Hahaha!!! That's rich! You sure are good at reversing things, Nola! It's readily apparent that YOU spend your day on here! (It's very odd, by the way).
Outside of the fact that A. I haven't been on C-D in weeks, and B. I wasn't the poster compiling an encyclopedic list of posts, do you have anything to contribute, or prefer silly personal attacks?
Quote:
And you DO NOT live in Michigan now. You are NOT currently in touch with what is happening, except via internet and perhaps occasional visits.
I could live in Timbuktu and it wouldn't make a difference. You don't need to live in a city to access data about a city.

And I'm in Michigan around twice a month, for business. In fact I'm in Michigan right now, not far from FH.
Quote:
You are by no means an expert on any of the cities you feign to know all about.
You're right, I'm not an expert. Good thing is I don't need to be one, when we have public data easily accessible. You don't like the data, and can't even pretend to argue my points. so prefer attacking the messenger.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:34 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Can I ask you...what is the allure of South Lyon?
Newer, safer, better schools, lower taxes, fastest growing community in the state. Not my cup of tea, but appeals to many.

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/ne...gion/23173839/

The region's population is stagnant. So if some places are growing and others are declining, it's reasonable to say that the newer communities are gaining residents at the expense of the older communities. You have one district scrambling to open schools, while a nearby district is shutting schools.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:46 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Outside of the fact that A. I haven't been on C-D in weeks, and B. I wasn't the poster compiling an encyclopedic list of posts, do you have anything to contribute, or prefer silly personal attacks?

I could live in Timbuktu and it wouldn't make a difference. You don't need to live in a city to access data about a city.

And I'm in Michigan around twice a month, for business. In fact I'm in Michigan right now, not far from FH.

You're right, I'm not an expert. Good thing is I don't need to be one, when we have public data easily accessible. You don't like the data, and can't even pretend to argue my points. so prefer attacking the messenger.
A. Guess you're making up for a bit of lost time, now.
B. Neither was I! What's your point; was it unbearably upsetting to you that someone got annoyed with your feigned expertise...on everything...and decided to call you out on it? How fragile.

C. As you have had many, many people point out to you before...having access to data doesn't make anyone an expert. It can lead to false assumptions, and in this case it certainly has! Few people feel a need to scour the internet all day to prove their brilliance and merit.
Take care of yourself.
I'll say it again, take care of yourself.

Last edited by mgkeith; 09-15-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 09-15-2016, 02:32 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,572 times
Quote:
If you HAVE to build a new house (and while I don't understand why, many people do) that's the place to do it without spending $700,000 like you would for a new build in Novi.

The people I know who live there say it's where everyone fleeing Westland/Dearborn/Redford is moving to.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,313 times
South Lyon grew by 400 people from 2010 to 2015 - not bad, not great either, but growth. Meanwhile Farmington Hills grew by 1600. Another fun factoid would be Southfield, whose "declining" population grew by 1400 over the last 5 years. Hey, while you're checking me, why don't you compare incomes for the Farmington Hills and South Lyon.

NOLA101, pretty much every post you make further confirms to anyone that reads them that you have basically no idea what you're talking about, which is fine - I have no problem with that, but I too hope that anyone who reads your posts takes them lightly. I believe it was you who I once before spelled out to that data can be misinterpreted to push whatever agenda you'd like to push. You're a champion at that. I'm not bad at it myself. Unfortunately to get a real perspective on what the numbers mean, one must visit and take in the reality with the numbers. You've clearly not done this with Farmington Hills. Just own that and move on to somewhere you understand, because you've made it evident time and time again that you know about as much about Metro Detroit as I do about Timbuktu. The difference is I don't go to the Mali board and pretend to be an expert on the subject.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:35 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
South Lyon grew by 400 people from 2010 to 2015 - not bad, not great either, but growth. Meanwhile Farmington Hills grew by 1600. Another fun factoid would be Southfield, whose "declining" population grew by 1400 over the last 5 years. Hey, while you're checking me, why don't you compare incomes for the Farmington Hills and South Lyon.

NOLA101, pretty much every post you make further confirms to anyone that reads them that you have basically no idea what you're talking about, which is fine - I have no problem with that, but I too hope that anyone who reads your posts takes them lightly. I believe it was you who I once before spelled out to that data can be misinterpreted to push whatever agenda you'd like to push. You're a champion at that. I'm not bad at it myself. Unfortunately to get a real perspective on what the numbers mean, one must visit and take in the reality with the numbers. You've clearly not done this with Farmington Hills. Just own that and move on to somewhere you understand, because you've made it evident time and time again that you know about as much about Metro Detroit as I do about Timbuktu. The difference is I don't go to the Mali board and pretend to be an expert on the subject.
Farmington Hills had some major new mansions built in the last several years. You're talking entire subdivisions of homes in the 800+ k range. I don't think they would built them in a "declining" city.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:14 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,149,140 times
Quote:
Been trying to figure that one out myself. Seems a lot of people from work (Ford) live there despite it being quite a ways away and not always super convenient to the highways. There are some nice (if cookie-cutter) houses in SL, plus what looks to be a fairly passable downtown area, but Novi/Northville are much nicer, to me anyways (I tend to not like the rural feel quite so much). I haven't looked at housing prices, but if I'm going to venture a guess, maybe SL is cheaper?

Quote:
B. Neither was I! What's your point; was it unbearably upsetting to you that someone got annoyed with your feigned expertise...on everything...and decided to call you out on it? How fragile.
In what way is his expertise feigned? Have you produced a scintilla of evidence to that effect or just a lot of exclamation points? Those don't do much to sustain your argument.
Quote:
C. As you have had many, many people point out to you before...having access to data doesn't make anyone an expert.
No, but being able to analyse it does and I'd much rather trust NOLA's opinion in that regard than that of someone speaking from his, strictly subjective, point of view.
Quote:
It can lead to false assumptions, and in this case it certainly has!
Example and proof?
Quote:
Take care of yourself.
I'll say it again, take care of yourself.
What exactly are you trying to say by this? Comes off as condescending, snarky and creepy all at once. Good job.

Quote:
Fun numbers, but how does this contradict
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Compared to Novi/Northville, FH is in relative decline, and parts are dumpy.
?
Quote:
data can be misinterpreted to push whatever agenda you'd like to push. <...> I'm not bad at it myself.
As you've just proven.

Last edited by Yac; 09-19-2016 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 09-16-2016, 11:56 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,572 times
Quote:
If you are referring only to the city of South Lyon, those numbers are very misleading. Lyon Township is where the new construction and growth has been occurring. In the past year alone they have added 889 residents: Lyon Township tops list of growing Oakland County communities

When people talk about South Lyon, they are often referring to Lyon Township.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:11 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
There are sections of Farmington/Farmington Hills with beautiful mansions, perfectly manicured lawns and leafy streets. There are also sections of Farmington/Farmington Hills that are extremely run down with a lot of blighted homes and empty storefronts. It just depends on which part of town you are in. For the most part, the northwestern part of Farmington Hills is very nice, while the southeastern portion is pretty grungy. It runs the gamut in between the two.

You are moving at the right time with the 275 construction completed.
Quote:
I agree that there is a small area that is run down and grungy, near Grand River and Eight Mile. It was already that way 20 years ago. Farmington/Farmington Hills is a large suburb, and most of it is very well kept up and pretty.
Most of Farmington Hills/Farmington IS well kept, but the areas that aren't were quickly appearing by the time we left in 2011. We lived in the Kendallwood sub, near the Farmington Main Library. It was a very attractive, well-maintained and solidly middle class neighborhood when we moved there in 1997, and it remained that way for years. Then it seemed to change almost overnight, which, of course, had a lot to do with the economic/mortgage crisis.

But, even before all of that happened, while I always thought Farmington/Farmington Hills were very pretty subs, I found them incredibly conservative and dull, too. It's funny that you want to leave AA, OP, because the only way I was willing to continue to live in Metro Detroit was if we were to move TO AA. It's one of the few parts of Metro Detroit that has any life, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit