Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 12:03 AM

49 posts, read 59,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It sounds like people are going to start commuting from Ingram County/the Lansing metro into Detroit. I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if places like Williamston, Webberville and even Okemos and Haslett in Meridian Township become options for some people. This is especially the case if said people work in western Wayne or western Oakland counties. It actually isn't that bad of a drive.
I don't think Okemos is going to get major Metro Detroit commuters -- unless self driving cars start doing 90mph on the freeway. But Howell should blow up after greater Brighton is built out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 11:43 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,844,472 times
The sprawl will probably creep out to Monroe County before Livingston County builds all the way up.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:33 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,918,806 times
Howell-Hartland had a big sprawl-boom in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Howell/Hartland/Brighton sprawl is really driven by a few factors:
- People who commute to Ann Arbor
- Families with dual-incomes where one may work in the Lansing-area and the other in Metro Detroit or Ann Arbor
- The business / job center boom in Novi and the I-275 corridor
- The rise in telecommuter/independent contractor/consultants/ and work-from-home occupations

One of the limiting factors in sprawl has typically been the extent of the municipal water and sewer systems. Areas without municipal water/sewer typically have minimum lot sizes of about 2 acres which renders most McMansion developments unprofitable and unviable as city-slicker Buffy and Tipsy wouldn't know how to maintain a well or septic system. If the greedy township governments with visions of tax dollars in their heads and/or the real estate-developer military industrial complex could control themselves they wouldn't extent DWSD (or GLWA) water/sewer further out. They are talking about hooking-up South Lyon to Detroit water/sewer.....

Old 12-30-2016, 07:49 PM

For what its worth, I was out in Brighton today and Grand River is one big hot mess in that stretch north of downtown Brighton to out past I-96. Talk about poor planning/zoning and traffic control. Massive gridlock at 2pm on a Friday afternoon on a holiday week because of all the big-boxes, fast-food, and chain stores.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:16 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,844,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
For what its worth, I was out in Brighton today and Grand River is one big hot mess in that stretch north of downtown Brighton to out past I-96. Talk about poor planning/zoning and traffic control. Massive gridlock at 2pm on a Friday afternoon on a holiday week because of all the big-boxes, fast-food, and chain stores.
Because it's a small country town that's still kind of new to being another sprawling Detroit suburb.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:24 AM

20,894 posts, read 19,360,934 times
Every place is a good place to move to...

...until people start moving there.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:24 PM

25 posts, read 30,226 times
Honestly, as someone who moved from Brighton to Grosse Pointe recently I can say that I do not regret the move. My husbands commute was 1.5 hours some days and miserable! I knew families who would commute from Fenton to Detroit. That is insane! We were counting down the days until we could move closer. Also, Brighton is becoming expensive! We sold our home and bought a beautiful brick house with 3x the interior space for less than 25% more than what we sold our Brighton house for.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:05 AM

And the sprawl-monster continue to devour South Lyon.

Next casualty - Erwin Orchards

Erwin Orchards into a subdivision? Plans presented in Lyon Twp.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:22 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,471,086 times
Quote:
And the sprawl-monster continue to devour South Lyon.

Next casualty - Erwin Orchards

Erwin Orchards into a subdivision? Plans presented in Lyon Twp.
Erwin's is awful. They won't be missed.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,055,344 times
Quote:
Downtown Howell is actually nicer and usually much less congested..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit