Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 02:59 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I am not under that assumption. I do understand some of them predate present day Detroit city limits. I just don't see how they are necessary in the modern civic environment, especially when they are completely land locked by other municipalities. We are basically talking about consolidating them into a city that has the same footprint as Troy, Sterling Heights, and several other Detroit area suburbs. I don't hear a lot of chatter that those cities are too big and need to be broken up.

I would say the same thing about Highland Park and Hamtramck being unecessary. I would also say that the Grosse Pointes could consolidate and be a stronger regional entity. I get how things worked in and around the turn of the 20th century. The circumstances today make them seem less relevant.

So just because you think so, the world should change? Why don't we get rid of all 50 states and have just one state? Why don't we get rid of all the countries and have just one country? Get rid of all the planets and have one planet? Maybe everyone should sell their home and move into one building...think how much we could save?

Again, you have yet to prove that a big government is more efficient or cost effective than numerous small governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 03:37 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
For comparison:

Detroit: Yearly city expenses: $1.08 billion
divided by 677,000 residents
equals $1595 per resident

Royal Oak: $36 million (small city)
/ 58,000
= $620

Troy: $138 million (medium city)
/ 82,000
= $1683

Oak Park: $30 million (small)
/ 29,000
= $1034

Sterling Heights: $170 million (medium)
/ 130,000
= $1307

Ferndale: $20 million (small)
/ 20,000
= $1000

Warren: $223 million (medium)
/ 134,000
= $1664

Average of small cities: $885 per person
Average of medium cities: $1551 per person

Old 02-10-2017, 04:15 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
One big thing wrong with Retroit's analysis is that it doesn't take into account the industrial and commercial aspects of the cities. Those businesses help support the tax burden in those medium cities.

Troy has a large commercial section along 16 Mile Road, along with the Sommerset Collection and light industrial zones. Warren (GM Warren Tech Center, US Army Tank Auto Command, GM Powertrain plant, FCA Stamping plant, etc.) and Sterling Heights (Ford Van Dyke Transmission plant, Ford Sterling Axle plant, General Dynamics, etc.) have good sized heavy industrial zones.

Ferndale, Oak Park, and Royal Oak are more bedroom communities, although it can be argued that two of these small cities have entertainment districts.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:21 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
One other thing - Berkly Michigan is a small city, with a population of about 15,000 and a city budget for 2015-2016 of $22,000,000. That works out to about $1466 per person, right up there with the medium cities in Retroit's example.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:41 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So just because you think so, the world should change? Why don't we get rid of all 50 states and have just one state? Why don't we get rid of all the countries and have just one country? Get rid of all the planets and have one planet? Maybe everyone should sell their home and move into one building...think how much we could save?

Again, you have yet to prove that a big government is more efficient or cost effective than numerous small governments.
Couple things

1. Are we not allowed to speak in hypotheticals? This is clearly not something that's going to happen anytime soon. I'm not sure why showing a possibility equates to your sneer of "So just because you think so, the world should change?" Please show where I'm saying the world should change because I presented a theory. Perhaps you should try interpreting things you disagree with less combatively,and allow other view points.

2. I'm suggesting that if 10 cities which collectively cover 38sq mi's were to combine, they would have the potential to be the 2nd largest city in the state. With that comes higher visibility, more possibilities for investment. A single cohesive government instead of several smaller departments. I think of it as buying in bulk on a municipal scale. It saves redundancies and allows the streamlining of funds, into other things like streets and roads. Again I'm talking 38sq mi. I can see you accusing me of a big government type if I were calling for Oakland County to merge into one unified government. The land area I'm talking about is still considered a small city by most definitions. Please tell me where the "big government" threshold is because the impression I get is it's pretty low by your definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit