Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about this plan for the East Riverfront?
Yay 14 100.00%
Nay 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
It won't be a literal beach that is on the water where you can swim. But there will be sand and beach-themed furniture.

http://www.dailydetroit.com/wp-conte...-rendering.jpg

http://detroit.curbed.com/2017/1/19/...rfront-detroit
I love those nets hanging over the water in one picture.

The beach is kind of a bigger version of the beach at Campus Martius.

I don't get the "mixed use courts" right along the water. Maybe Bocci ball courts? Certainly not tennis. Nless they also have a golden retriever rescue facility right next to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 10:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
What I would like to see is more recreational outdoor things all along the river. Basketball courts, tennis courts, skate park, maybe even a waterpark. Belle Isle as well, I know alot of people like to keep the park how it is but it could have a few more attractions and still be mostly a nature park. Just like Central Park.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:15 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,952 times
I love this plan. This is such a departure from the rest of the metro area where most of our Detroit Riverfront and Lake St. Clair/Erie Lakefronts, are closed off to the public.

These waterfronts are the Detroit Area's only notable geologic feature in an otherwise flat and featureless region - and most of it is closed off outside the city.

Let's hope that the original vision for the Riverwalk to stretch from Bridge to Brige is realized. That would make it over 5.5 miles long!

Now take it to the next level and transform the Riverwalk from a scenic jogging/walk/bike path to a lively district

-RECREATIONAL FACILITIES championed by MS313

-SIDEWALK CAFES

-RESTAURANTS WITH OUTDOOR SEATING THAT LOOK OUT INTO THE RIVER

-MORE PUBLIC ART AND MEMORIALS LIKE WINDSOR'S RIVERFRONT

-SHOPPING

-CLUBS AT NIGHT

How about this swimming pool in a river in Berlin

The Badeschiff - a deep blue swimming pool, wooden boardwalks, an open-air bar, and a stunning view

Let's make this really unique and a great gathering place for metro area residents and future tourists alike.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:46 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
^ Windsor actually looked at possibly putting one of those pools in along the river at a downtown location a couple of years ago, I specifically remember that exact picture being used to sell the idea. Needless to say, it was never taken seriously, and the Boo Birds were out in full force to sink the idea.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

"Agreed, but ball courts right at the river edge make no sense, nor does blocking the water with big fences to keep balls in. Put the courts ont he inland side." They can be championed by anyone. GM, Rok Ventures, Karmanos, whomever.

-SIDEWALK CAFES - there is one. It is a little hot dog/hamburger stand. I like it because it focuses on Michgian made products. It is quick and reasonably good. We need maybe a coule more but not too many. .

-RESTAURANTS WITH OUTDOOR SEATING THAT LOOK OUT INTO THE RIVER There are a lot of empty buildings that could easily be used for this. On the other hand, I do not think we want a bunch of buildings blocking the riverfront. I like to keep it open.

-MORE PUBLIC ART AND MEMORIALS LIKE WINDSOR'S RIVERFRONT - there is quite a lot of this along the river-walk that is completed already. If they added a lot more, it would start looking like a yard sale. Personally, I like the more natural part better, however the section with all the art is interesting and a good use of that particular area.

-SHOPPING. The entire Downtown area desperately needs more. I am not sure we want it along the waterfront though. Maybe an area leading up to the waterfront like along atwater or something. It do nto want to block/clutter the waterfront with a bunch of trinket shops. The waterfront should be open for everyone's enjoyment, not just who enjoy shopping.

-CLUBS AT NIGHT. Maybe in some areas. Rememeber River Rock bar and the place next to it, whatever it was called? I would not want the waterfront lined with a bunch of clubs, but a few in a specific area woudl be neat.

I look at the two parts of the waterfront now. One part has the ren cen, some returuants, the port building, Cobo, the Joe. The other part is open and has lawn chairs, little free libraries, trees, grass, marsh a little merry go round park, etc. To me, the open part is much much nicer and woudl be even if the ren cen frontage was all sidewalk cafes and shops. I would much rather keep as much of it open as possible than massively build it out.

How about this swimming pool in a river in Berlin This is neat, but I think public swimming pools are almost a thing of the past. First they are astronomically expensive to build and maintain - that much money could go a lot further for other amenities. Second they have an ick factor now. People are concerned they may get a disease swimming in some kid's pee. Something like the existing play fountain just east of the Ren Cen works well, but a shared bath tub - not sure they are still practical.

They kind of have to choose between open air style and a beach boardwalk completely lined on one side by stores and bars. Trying to mix the two is not workable. However it can be kept open with various perpendicular streets leading to the waterfront lined with shops bars or clubs. We do not have all that many such streets, but there are a few.

Maybe some push crt vendors in the already built out areas tat cannot be made open (unless you tear down the ren cen, which would nto be the worst idea ever).

Old 03-23-2017, 07:50 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
How about this swimming pool in a river in Berlin This is neat, but I think public swimming pools are almost a thing of the past. First they are astronomically expensive to build and maintain - that much money could go a lot further for other amenities. Second they have an ick factor now. People are concerned they may get a disease swimming in some kid's pee. Something like the existing play fountain just east of the Ren Cen works well, but a shared bath tub - not sure they are still practical.

They kind of have to choose between open air style and a beach boardwalk completely lined on one side by stores and bars. Trying to mix the two is not workable. However it can be kept open with various perpendicular streets leading to the waterfront lined with shops bars or clubs. We do not have all that many such streets, but there are a few.

Maybe some push crt vendors in the already built out areas tat cannot be made open (unless you tear down the ren cen, which would nto be the worst idea ever).
Brennan Pools, River Rouge Park, Detroit, MI

I think pools still have an appeal. Every community has a recreation center with in-door pools. So do all of the YMCA's. People need to get over themselves.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:55 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

"Agreed, but ball courts right at the river edge make no sense, nor does blocking the water with big fences to keep balls in. Put the courts ont he inland side." They can be championed by anyone. GM, Rok Ventures, Karmanos, whomever.

-SIDEWALK CAFES - there is one. It is a little hot dog/hamburger stand. I like it because it focuses on Michgian made products. It is quick and reasonably good. We need maybe a coule more but not too many. .
I like the existing side walk cafe but the problem is, its only .50 mile away from GM center which has food court and restaurant. Often times I find myself debating if I should walk to GM or eat there. The time when I wished there was even a bending machine to sell me water because I feel dehydrated is when I am on east side near chene park or pass it. At that point there is nothing in sight. I wish cafes would space out so whenever I feel tired and want break I have place to be

Old 03-29-2017, 12:12 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I love this plan. This is such a departure from the rest of the metro area where most of our Detroit Riverfront and Lake St. Clair/Erie Lakefronts, are closed off to the public.

These waterfronts are the Detroit Area's only notable geologic feature in an otherwise flat and featureless region - and most of it is closed off outside the city.

Let's hope that the original vision for the Riverwalk to stretch from Bridge to Brige is realized. That would make it over 5.5 miles long!

Now take it to the next level and transform the Riverwalk from a scenic jogging/walk/bike path to a lively district

-SIDEWALK CAFES

-RESTAURANTS WITH OUTDOOR SEATING THAT LOOK OUT INTO THE RIVER

-MORE PUBLIC ART AND MEMORIALS LIKE WINDSOR'S RIVERFRONT

-SHOPPING

-CLUBS AT NIGHT

How about this swimming pool in a river in Berlin

The Badeschiff - a deep blue swimming pool, wooden boardwalks, an open-air bar, and a stunning view

Let's make this really unique and a great gathering place for metro area residents and future tourists alike.
Damn... other countries get all the good stuff these days. America has literally priced itself out of doing alot of "cool" things. Everything America does now is very basic because of inflated cost.

If the Riverwalk put something like C.J. Berrymore, Partridge Creek, Kingston Metro Park, Red Oaks Waterpark, a Greektown type district, and the Detroit Zoo or Aquarium all along the riverfront along with what's already there. The riverwalk would be PACKED every single simi nice day of the year and property values near it would skyrocket imo. Especially if they expanded the Riverwalk and put a light rail down Jefferson adjacent to the riverwalk. Now that would be using Detroit's Riverfront to it's fullest potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit