Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:09 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think they figure out it really did not offer much protection (second shot goes through with many guns - fine against a .22 but it it not going to stop today powerful guns for more than a shot or if lucky two.). .
I think you should wander over to Youtube and check out bullet proof glass testing. I think you will find it can be a bit more impressive than you would imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 07:17 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,209 times
I've done business through a webcam, while inside a bank in Salt Lake (not the drive-thru, but standing inside the actual branch), and I don't know how many places I've had to do business through bullet proof glass there. Salt Lake isn't exactly considered dangerous.. I think this is pretty common practice in most urban areas.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:53 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I've been to all of those places. Can't remember a single business where I had to transact business through a bulletproof window.
I said criminals target tourist areas like these. Never said every business around there had bulletproof glass. But even though this was a few years ago yes there are places in even decent areas of New Orleans and Miami that have bulletproof glass. One of them was on St. Charles street if I can remember correctly. The most recent one I do remember was getting gas through bulletproof glass right on North Ave in Chicago not far from downtown. And that neighborhood was a clear yuppie area.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:14 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,150 times
Well, this thread went off on a tangent......

Old 05-24-2017, 10:59 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Well, this thread went off on a tangent......
A bit perhaps but at 70 plus posts some straying is going to happen unless moderation is overly exuberant.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:35 PM

It's true, we got a bit tangent, and quite honestly I don't mind. I'm totally cool with my posts going off topic, so never hesitate to take them tangential. That's one of the things I like most about internet boards. On occasion I'll throw something in though that relates back to the original comment, and for this one I went ahead and tabulated people's "votes":

Best city for young singles: Detroit-4, Ann Arbor-2, Royal Oak-1
Best city for young families: Berkley-3, Ferndale-1, Grosse Ile-1, Grosse Pointes-1
Best city for older families: Birmingham-2, Bloomfields-1, Northville-1, Novi-1, Rochesters-1
Best city for retirees: Rochesters-3, Grosse Pointes-1, Madison Heights-1, Wyandotte-1,
Most improved city since 2000: Clawson-1, Detroit-1, Ferndale-1, Rochesters-1, "Not Detroit"-1
Most improvable, promising city going forward: Detroit-3, Pontiac-2, Dearborn-1
Most desirable "Affordable" city: Wyandotte-2, Commerce-1, Ferndale-1, Sterling Heights-1, Windsor-1
Most Down-to-Earth "high-income" city: Huntington Woods/Pleasant Ridge-2, Grosse Ile-2, Rochesters-1, Tecumseh-1
Best inner-ring suburb: Royal Oak-4, Dearborn-2, Birmingham-1
Best outer-ring suburb: Northville-3, Novi-2, Milford-1, Ann Arbor-1
Best exurb: Ann Arbor-1, Canton-1, Dexter-1, Shelby-1, Romeo-1, Washington-1, "Those rich areas up by 28 mile where Eminiem lives at."-1,

Please feel free to add your input if you've not made one yet! I notice there's not a whole lot of love for Macomb County. Is that a pretty typical opinion in Metro Detroit or is the county underrepresented on this board?

Old 05-24-2017, 07:57 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,319 times
Houses Listed on MLS for:
$1,400
$1,600
$2,000
Etc..........
Really???????

Old 05-24-2017, 10:33 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
It's true, we got a bit tangent, and quite honestly I don't mind. I'm totally cool with my posts going off topic, so never hesitate to take them tangential. That's one of the things I like most about internet boards. On occasion I'll throw something in though that relates back to the original comment, and for this one I went ahead and tabulated people's "votes":

Best city for young singles: Detroit-4, Ann Arbor-2, Royal Oak-1
Best city for young families: Berkley-3, Ferndale-1, Grosse Ile-1, Grosse Pointes-1
Best city for older families: Birmingham-2, Bloomfields-1, Northville-1, Novi-1, Rochesters-1
Best city for retirees: Rochesters-3, Grosse Pointes-1, Madison Heights-1, Wyandotte-1,
Most improved city since 2000: Clawson-1, Detroit-1, Ferndale-1, Rochesters-1, "Not Detroit"-1
Most improvable, promising city going forward: Detroit-3, Pontiac-2, Dearborn-1
Most desirable "Affordable" city: Wyandotte-2, Commerce-1, Ferndale-1, Sterling Heights-1, Windsor-1
Most Down-to-Earth "high-income" city: Huntington Woods/Pleasant Ridge-2, Grosse Ile-2, Rochesters-1, Tecumseh-1
Best inner-ring suburb: Royal Oak-4, Dearborn-2, Birmingham-1
Best outer-ring suburb: Northville-3, Novi-2, Milford-1, Ann Arbor-1
Best exurb: Ann Arbor-1, Canton-1, Dexter-1, Shelby-1, Romeo-1, Washington-1, "Those rich areas up by 28 mile where Eminiem lives at."-1,

Please feel free to add your input if you've not made one yet! I notice there's not a whole lot of love for Macomb County. Is that a pretty typical opinion in Metro Detroit or is the county underrepresented on this board?
Macomb county is a gigantic suburb where alot of blue collar jobs happen to be. Which is not a bad thing, I wouldn't mind living there if I had to, it's a pretty typical desirable place by most American standards, it just doesn't have as many unique or interesting parts as Wayne, Oakland, Washtenaw counties, or Windsor. Which is really a shame because of it's Lake St. Clair coastal line. Had they made most of it's water public access and utilized it, Macomb county would probably be like Oakland county except their version of downtown Royal Oak or Birmingham would have public water access next to it which would probably result in anything east of I-94 in Macomb county being more like Birmingham, Grosse Pointe's, ect than what it is now.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:05 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
I'm curious how you delineate between younger families and older families? Do younger families = school aged children and older families = grown children? Families typically pick a community based on the schools with the intention of staying there until the kids graduate.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I'm curious how you delineate between younger families and older families? Do younger families = school aged children and older families = grown children? Families typically pick a community based on the schools with the intention of staying there until the kids graduate.
Ehh, I think you can define that however you want as there's some obvious subjectivity to it, but I also think it's reasonable to say a 30 year old couple with a 2 year old and a newborn (or maybe no kids at all, as is quite common among millennials) is looking for something quite different than a 50 year old couple with an 18 year old, a 16 year old, and a 13 year old.

I wanted this to be a good reference for someone to point to for those, "I'm thinking of moving to Detroit and I am ____________ looking for _________. Where should I move?" posts, rather than a discussion on if one should change their community as they age. If you bought a place in Ferndale as a 26 year old, there's no reason you can't raise a family and retire in that same home, but if you're currently in Chicago and looking to move to Detroit, well... here's a resource of some opinions of people who know the community quite well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit