Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 12:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Good teams don't only play good in the 4th quarter, but the Pistons have been notorious for this. And if the 2 teams are taking turns putting the ball into the basket... both teams have terrible defense. And if you were watching the Pistons, I can totally see that happening. That's also why I can't stand to watch All Star games anymore, they don't play defense at all. It's a fu*king shoot around.

And as far as grown ass men falling on the floor off of a soft foul (like 250 pound Leflop James) that's what we call flopping, It's something that was rarely done until the last 10 years. After the Pistons fight at the Palace, the NBA started cracking down on any type of fouls so now the game is just soft. It doesn't matter though, because only the superteams have a chance at winning the championship anyway. Every other star player that's not on a superteam is just stat padding because they know they don't have a chance against 3 or 4 other superstars. I admit the NBA isn't nearly as exciting as it used to be.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt and give it another try looking for some better teams to watch. Maybe college? When I was t U-M they had a tall gangly guy who played ok but was very very clumsy. He or the ball would often end up in the stands. Maybe it was intentional or exaggerated. Everyone loved him, he was super amusing to watch. They put him in when they were way ahead. i only watched 2 games, but they were certainly not dull like the pro games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 08:53 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
I certainly think what sports, if any, people enjoy watching is pretty subjective and personal. There is no right or wrong answer. Once upon a time basketball was my favorite sport to play. I played in high school and continued as an adult renting gym time with friends, playing in adult rec leagues.
But I can understand the notion that because so many points are tallied in a game the last couple minutes take on a heightened importance that can make the other 38 or 46 seem "unworthy". Its a bit ironic that scoring too much is boring.
I think a lot of people would find a 9-8 baseball game more exciting than a 2-1 game, especially if the 2 and 1 came early in the game. Same for football...most people would find a 35-34 football game more exciting than a 6-3 game. But then if the 35-34 all came in the first half but the 6-3 came midway through the 4th quarter...... there are no right or wrong answers for what people find entertaining. That doesn't mean some people aren't in a minority.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:14 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I will give you the benefit of the doubt and give it another try looking for some better teams to watch. Maybe college? When I was t U-M they had a tall gangly guy who played ok but was very very clumsy. He or the ball would often end up in the stands. Maybe it was intentional or exaggerated. Everyone loved him, he was super amusing to watch. They put him in when they were way ahead. i only watched 2 games, but they were certainly not dull like the pro games.
Yeah basically what Craig said if your not into it you probably won't enjoy it either way. But these days I can tell you the NBA is only worth watching during the playoffs. During the regular season it's hit or miss and depends on the teams playing. I don't watch too much college ball but it does seem a little more fun to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit