Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,055 times

Advertisements

Looking for an apartment or townhouse to rent within a 20 minute commute to Novi. Budget would need to be under $1500 a month for a 2 bedroom with a garage, really need a two car for dirt bikes. I've looked online a bit but I'm not really seeing anything listed. What towns would be good for a young single guy who doesn't mind ubering for nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 07:15 PM

263 posts, read 437,778 times
Plenty of nice apartments in Novi & surrounding areas. Methinks you need to do better online research, and if you're serious, go explore Novi.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:00 PM

Thanks

Old 07-05-2017, 10:04 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Search for apartments in Novi or Farmington Hills. Keep your commute to work close.

Use Uber to hit up some of the bars in Novi itself, Plymouth, Royal Oak, or downtown/Midtown Detroit on the weekends.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:43 AM

Thank you! I looked at Farmington Hills, only a couple of apts came up with garages and I thought Novi was pretty much a place where people just went shopping. What is Canton like, I'm looking there too because it's closer to the airport.

Last edited by Pollyskat; 07-06-2017 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 07-06-2017, 08:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You can look at Novi, Farming ton, Farmington Hills, Walled Lake, Wixom, Lyon Township, South lyon, New Hudson (part of Lyon Township), Northville, Northville township, much of West Bloomfield is in a reasonable range of Novi.

It is hard to find apartments with garages rather than car ports or just lot parking. You are more likely to find one with a garage if you look at condos being rented out or even small homes. Of course you will pay more.

All of these places are very nice and have apartments and either small homes or mobile homes for rent. All are very close to Novi and most of them touch Novi.

Canton is fine. It is just modern housing and big box/strip malls, mostly chain resturants and the like, but it is clean and nice. Traffic can get pretty awful.

If you are going to go as far as Canton, you can try Westland. Westland is not as nice and pretty, but it has an ocean of apartment complexes, many are pretty affordable and it has lots of stores and restaurants. If you look in the area of Newberg (Newburgh?) road ans whatever road Meyers is on you will see that Westland appears to be made almost entirely of apartment complexes (it isn't but it certainly appears that way if you look at that area). In most instances, Westland is considerably cheaper than the other places mentioned (because it is not as nice and does not have exemplary schools - which you apparently are not concerned about). It might be hard to get a garage there though.

Milford and Brighton are also within a reasonable commute, but getting a little further out. Both are quite nice and both have some apartments/rentals.

Livonia is also home to many apartments and small houses with garages - some of which are rented out. LIvonia is a litle bit further, but not much. Certainly no further than Milford or Brighton.

If you are not concerned that much about schools and somewhat higher crime rates and less niceness, Redford Township or Romulus are probably considerably cheaper than all of those places. Redford has lots of tiny homes for rent, some with garages. It also has a considerable amount of decay that has spread from he edges of Detroit.

As you get further out, you might also look at Southfield. Southfield has a mix of good and not so good areas. Lots of rentals. Still within a pretty reasonable commute of Novi.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:26 AM

Thanks for all these details, you are correct -schools are not an issue, crime is though. Garage is a must and seems to be the biggest obstacle in getting something affordable. Thanks again I will be researching all the suggestions.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Good point about the garages, you are right that most apartment complexes do not have units with garages.

I would search for condos or houses for rent. Novi has a lot of condos that were built in the past 20 years.

You may be able to get a house in Farmington or Livonia in your price range.

A lot of this stuff goes for rent by owner via Craigslist or through property management companies. Some does go via realtor and on the MLS

Old 07-08-2017, 06:11 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
This is a threadjack but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Redford has lots of tiny homes for rent, some with garages. It also has a considerable amount of decay that has spread from he edges of Detroit.
Redford does not have "considerable amount of decay that has spread from the edges of Detroit"

Below are 4 random Google Streetviews within 5 blocks of the Redford/Detroit border. Where is this considerable decay you speak of?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3922...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3609...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4056...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4365...7i13312!8i6656

You could describe these Redford neighborhoods as "past their prime" or "needing a little TLC", but considerable decay is not accurate.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:57 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Yeah, I echo usroute10 here. I spend a bit of time working in Redford, and I can confirm. There is no "decay" in Redford. It's dated, and you might see more industrial manufacturers and hair salons per capita than in most suburbs, but referring to anywhere in Redford as "decay" isn't accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit