Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 13,123 times

Advertisements

Troy schools are very diverse. True there is a large white population, but there are significant numbers of many other races too. Troy would be great for raising a family - its not really a bar/nightlife town, and is rated as one of the top 5 safest cities in the country year after year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:49 PM

123 posts, read 488,016 times
Not to confuse you more but have you thought of Birmingham? I currently live in West Bloomfield and grew up there but a different part. I went to Birmigham schools though lived in WB. As a young adult I lived in Farmington Hills. Some areas of Farmington Hills are pretty and some are to me not so great. I know little on Troy other then the mall. I think WB is a very nice area along with Bloomfield Hills. I will say that some of the attitudes here are not the nicest and it can get to me. I moved to Ca for awhile and that was one of the things I did not miss. I do feel that WB and Farmington Hills are growing in different races. When I grew up in WB that was not the case. My school was not diversed at all and it was public but now I see that changing. Everything in time I guess. Good luck in your choice.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,731 times
Troy is very diverse depending on where in Troy you choose to live. The side near Troy High School which is closer to Bloomfield Hills is more upscale and has a large Asian/White population. The other side is less upscale, but still really good school Athens High School with a large Chaldean, Arab, Asian(Indian and Oriental), and many different Eastern European ethnicities as well.
Both schools are very very good and Troy is close to pretty much all the towns you listed. Very safe, maybe a bit boring, but if you want excitement all you have to do is drive 15-30 minutes down the road to Rochester Hills or Royal Oak for shopping and other entertainment.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM

23 posts, read 62,404 times
I lived in Troy for over 10 years before I moved to CA.

Its a good city but its going down the drain. The whole white flight, ghetto expansion thing. On the Troy Athens side its really noticeable how much worse its getting. So personally I wouldnt buy a house unless its on the other side Livernois. I cant speak personally for the Troy High side, but its a good deal nicer then the Athens side.

That being said I loved growing up in troy. Being in a kinda rich/middle class area but also being around hardcore people. Really gave me a rounded out personality. Being in CA I truly realize how lucky i am to turn out the way I did.

If i were you I would personally buy a house in Lake Orion or Clarkston. They are much more far out, so it'll take a good while or possibly never for the detroit ghetto to engulf them.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:29 AM

85 posts, read 279,168 times
I remember looking at Troy, BHills, WBloomfield and even Birmingham *briefly until I saw the taxes*.....we ended up in Rochester Hills...I ABSOLUTELY love it...it is everything I wanted, we are of mixed races with 3 kidides (13, 6, and 3), very active family who enjoy the library, sports and such and it provides all of that with surperb schools......some of the best...

Troy looked nice, but at the time we were looking there was nothing that caught our attention as far as houses go and Bloomfield, again nice but we wanted a younger commuinty, not one where one neighbour could be retired and the other had teenagers...here, 25% of my daughters elementary school is from my subdiviison and I couldn't be happier.....

THANKS to all on this board that helped me over the summer come from Toronto to here

Old 12-11-2008, 01:21 PM

45 posts, read 160,479 times
Can someone tell me what the commute would be like (including in inclement weather) from Troy, Bloomfield, etc.? The diversity and other descriptions above are very appealing to me, but the distance to Wayne State... eek. Also, are the neighborhoods pretty? Or too McMansiony? Thank you!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Rochester Hills is very nice. Rochester is a great town. But it is a considerable long commute to Detroit. I would not do it.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
Are you serious? West Bloomfield has a huge Chaldean population. As well, there are many Asians, Indians, African Americans. My daughter's class at school is hugely diverse.
Khfar,

I like your interjection on the above mentioned remark. I am African American with a son transitioning into the 4th grade when school commences, and am trying to decide where to purchase my first home. My first choice has been West Bloomfield because of all the great things I've heard about the school district. In your own opinion, can you shed light on some of the sects with WB that are more racially diverse than others. Hence, diversion would be my 1st preference. Aside, from WB I have pondered Farmington/FHills, Walled Lake, Commerce and Bloomfield.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,542 times
If you want a local government that is truly sensitive and responsive to Muslim culture and sensibilities, then Dearborn is for you. Your kids will be on vacation for Eid and a multitude of other Muslim holidays. Dearborn government truly is democratic in that it writes its local laws and schedules its holidays in response to the needs of the majority of the population. You will love it here, and the Henry Ford Library is outstanding. Don't overlook us; we have beautiful areas, many lovely homes and quick access to Wayne State University as well as very affordable tuition rates at Henry Ford Community College with special breaks for Dearborn residents. Choose us!

Old 01-20-2020, 09:07 PM

24 posts, read 26,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryeno View Post
I lived in Troy for over 10 years before I moved to CA.

Its a good city but its going down the drain. The whole white flight, ghetto expansion thing. On the Troy Athens side its really noticeable how much worse its getting. So personally I wouldnt buy a house unless its on the other side Livernois. I cant speak personally for the Troy High side, but its a good deal nicer then the Athens side.

That being said I loved growing up in troy. Being in a kinda rich/middle class area but also being around hardcore people. Really gave me a rounded out personality. Being in CA I truly realize how lucky i am to turn out the way I did.

If i were you I would personally buy a house in Lake Orion or Clarkston. They are much more far out, so it'll take a good while or possibly never for the detroit ghetto to engulf them.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions regarding the eastern side of Troy. I noticed a lot of uncouth people around the stores in that area. The homes are much more affordable, but just from my visits to that part of town in recent months, I agree it’s noticeably declined in the last two decades. When I visited friends around there in the 90s, it felt much more upscale than it does now. I’m wary of buying a house there. I lived in Sterling Heights and I didn’t like it at all. I’m guessing the eastern part of Troy is very similar to Sterling Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit