Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 07:20 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
While it's true that the growth mostly lies in the suburbs and not city of Atlanta, it doesn't mean people aren't moving to the city. LOTS of people are moving to the city of Atlanta, but the net population only grew by a little because those who have lived there previously are being displaced by gentrification and forced to be moved outside city. People that get jobs in Atlanta are not living in the suburbs, as the awful traffic here would mean commutes of over 1 hour.

I agree that people are going to where high paying jobs are, but employers are also going to relocate to places that people want to live. Detroit's financial woes have slowed urban development to a non-existent crawl and many other cities are riding the strong economy and low interest rates to fund massive projects to make the city attractive to employers and workers.

The recession really hurt Detroit and has drained much of the young talent away from the state.
Slowed urban development to a non existent crawl? When was the last time you’ve actually been to Detroit! There is construction all over DT and in many other neighbourhoods as well. Construction has already started on Detroit’s new tallest skyscraper, with even more new skyscrapers in the works.
So much new retail, office and residential already moved in, with new projects being announced daily! Doesn’t really sound anything like what you are trying to project!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 09:49 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,863,133 times
"Young people want to live in a vibrant city, not in boring ass Northville, where i grew up."

This comment made me laugh. Aw, kid...how you must have suffered!

No, Detroit is no longer what you describe. Since the recession ended, there has been and continues to be a whole lot of development in Detroit and the metro area.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:27 AM

221 posts, read 189,956 times
I haven't been in the metro area since I graduated in 2011, and at that time things were looking bleak. It's good to know that there's a lot of urban development in Detroit and hope that will be enough to attract lots of companies so that they stop hemmoraging University talent to the coasts.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:38 PM

All I can tell you is that all of my kids (three grads so far) and their friends have, for the most part, either stayed here or returned once they started a family. The fourth really is enthused about Detroit and want to stay and work there after collge. I know that some people have left, especially U of M and MSU grads...but a lot of people who left weren't from Southeast MI to begin with. And some just want adventure. Hey, adventure is fun.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:59 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,207 times
It is all well and good to look for reasons that bleeding graduates from the top two schools in the state doesn't matter that much, but it's absolutely a problem because it means we aren't leveraging the assets we have. Maybe half the students at U of M and a third of the students at MSU aren't from Michigan, but they're people coming into this state who more than likely will leave feeling forever connected to it via their alma maters. These are people we should be keeping around.

Of my friends at U of M, only three were from out of state. Of those three, two of them had parents from Michigan and went to school in Ann Arbor because it was a family tradition. The rest of the 10 or so people I would call close friends are Michiganders... only three of them, myself excluded, still live in Michigan and there's a very real chance that number will drop to one before this decade is up. The jobs aren't here, the cultural cachet isn't here... we need to work to change that, because several of those friends who have left the state genuinely wanted to stay but felt like there was nothing for them here or that staying here would mean running in place, settling for less money and a bigger house instead of trying to be the best. We need to reverse the perception that this is a backwater to be overcome.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:25 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,952 times
Quote:
I haven't been in the metro area since I graduated in 2011, and at that time things were looking bleak. It's good to know that there's a lot of urban development in Detroit and hope that will be enough to attract lots of companies so that they stop hemmoraging University talent to the coasts.
Urban development in downtown and the districts surrounding downtown is real.

Below is a link to the PLETHORA of developments that have been announced in the New Center in the past year and a half. Many of these businesses are up and running:

New Center Area is going to be the New hotness

Just 2 of the MANY other exciting new developments are below:

The COE, a $4 million, new construction mixed use development in the "Villages" area near Belle Isle. Recently completed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	the_coe.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	195122

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/10/2...village-photos

Redevelopment of the Stone Soap Building in the East Riverfront announced in October 2017:

-Built in 1907, the 3-store warehouse building will receive a 3-story addition on top of the building, and this development will feature 65 apartments, 13,000 square feet retail space, food hall, gym, pool, storage, rooftop gardens and bike stations for residents. In addition, the public performing arts space will be the new home of Shakespeare in Detroit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	soap.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	195121

Old 02-04-2018, 11:36 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
It is all well and good to look for reasons that bleeding graduates from the top two schools in the state doesn't matter that much, but it's absolutely a problem because it means we aren't leveraging the assets we have. Maybe half the students at U of M and a third of the students at MSU aren't from Michigan, but they're people coming into this state who more than likely will leave feeling forever connected to it via their alma maters. These are people we should be keeping around.

Of my friends at U of M, only three were from out of state. Of those three, two of them had parents from Michigan and went to school in Ann Arbor because it was a family tradition. The rest of the 10 or so people I would call close friends are Michiganders... only three of them, myself excluded, still live in Michigan and there's a very real chance that number will drop to one before this decade is up. The jobs aren't here, the cultural cachet isn't here... we need to work to change that, because several of those friends who have left the state genuinely wanted to stay but felt like there was nothing for them here or that staying here would mean running in place, settling for less money and a bigger house instead of trying to be the best. We need to reverse the perception that this is a backwater to be overcome.
I could understand the jobs might not be here, and the wages might be lower, the % of U of M and MSU remaining in Michigan is too low, but I don't understand the cultural cachet aspect of your contemporaries' discontentment. Could you explain? I can understand the lack of rapid transit.

I think we have some great things going on - Eastern Market, the development of the East Riverfront (public space and residential), downtown, midtown, District Detroit, New Center, Corktown, Mexicantown, the restoration of Belle Isle, semi-urban suburbs that keep improving like Hamtramck, Berkley, Ferndale, Dearborn, and Wyandotte. The turnaround of the core of Detroit is real and the energy is palpable.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post

Wait, so unless I misunderstand, some of your friends have left just because they don't want to accept a lower salary that pays for more home and other necessities, because of lack of cachet of the area? Well, you can't please everyone...this sounds rather shallow, though. Isn't the goal about overall quality of life?

I agree that if too many people are leaving because of inadequate job opportunities, it's a problem. Of course for some career fields, this is inevitable.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Form what i see and hear form younger people, I am pretty sure the "hot" cities (meaning trendy) are Austin Texas, Denver Colorado, Missoula Montana, and Raleigh Durham NC.

Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, Dallas, Atlanta, Pheonix, and to some extent Chicago are on the waning hot list partially because they became too expensive and crowded because they were so popular, and in part because they were the "Hot" places of yesterday. Portland is moving to the waning "hot" list. I do not know why Raleigh Durham has not moved to the waning list, but it does not appear to be. Savannah Georgia seems to be moving up. Florida is also very popular, but there does not seem to be bay one place in Florida.

Denver has already outgrown itself and may start fading soon. Or maybe it will get its act together.

I may be biased, but I will bet that Boston and Detroit and likely Minneapolis will likely return to the "hot" list in the next ten years.

No I am not asserting this as facts, just my observation based on my kids, their friends and young adults form church and work. So others may have different experience or beliefs about where things are going.

We jumped ont he "hot" place bandwagon many years ago when Orange County/LA was the place to be. there are distinct advantages and distinct disadvantages of moving to the "hot" place. We were lucky becuase we moved there in the early middle of the popularity boom. the people who came when it was fading out somewhat, ran smack into the reasons its popularity was beginning to wane. (Crowding, overpriced everything, waiting in lines, and simply "that is sooooo 1995.") all of these aireas remain popualr, but they are no longer the "hot" place to go.

Back to the topic, anyone have any more guesses where H2Q is going? If you already guessed on this thread, you are wrong, so it so fine to make a new guess.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:42 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
Quote:
I grew up in Michigan, lived in Ann Arbor/Northville and graduated from Northville High School. Went to UM for an engineering degree and now live in ATL.

Despite the fact that UM is a fantastic school, almost everyone I know with a tech degree immediately peaced out when they graduated. Especially those who were in Michigan when the recession hit, many graduates would take any opportunity to get out. A lot of my classmates are in NYC and Bay Area. UM is a heavily recruited school by top tech companies so anyone in Ann Arbor that gets an offer is gone.

ATL used to have an awful reputation. Growing up in Michigan, everyone would hate on Atlanta (crime, terrible education, eww the 'south'). Atlanta has rapidly gentrified and now the places that used to be considered ghetto and only affordable by people with six figure salaries. Young people want to live in a vibrant city, not in boring ass Northville, where i grew up.

The city needs to put money down and make Detroit an attractive place to live. Giving companies incentives only gets talent to reluctantly choose to stay/come to Detroit. Make the city vibrant and you will get people to want to live and stay there.
You do realize that a significant part of why you were able to attend an elite university and have options once you graduated is because you grew up in boring ass Northville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit