Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 12:40 PM

21,121 posts, read 19,703,590 times

Advertisements

Detroit evictions: 1 house, 20 eviction cases, 1 fire

Why not prevent them from buying property in the city? The same for property management companies who don't pay taxes?

Why not allow Detroit to assess taxes on the slumlord's suburban residence?

Criminal prosecution for renting out a house that has not been registered as a rental and inspected?

Other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 05:33 PM

263 posts, read 437,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

Why not prevent them from buying property in the city? The same for property management companies who don't pay taxes?

Yeah, that'll really promote "them" to invest (gamble?) in Detroit's development & growth!

And while you're waving your magic wand around to do that, why not cast a spell to make all Detroiters educated, articulate, civic-minded people capable of having good-paying jobs, invest in their own homes and whose pride causes them to properly maintain their homes & their city.

Wow, problem solved!! That was easy!

Criminal prosecution for renting out a house that has not been registered as a rental and inspected?

I'm sure the Code Enforcement Officers, Fire Marshall, Prosecuting Attorney & Courts System will all have plenty of time for that, after you've waved your magic wand.

Other ideas?
When I developed that same sort of 'Detroiter mentality' that you're exhibiting, I knew it was time for me to get the hell out of the city.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:27 PM

8,415 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Quote:

Other ideas?
Shell corporations do a "wonderful" job of keeping slum landlords free of liens and civil/criminal charges. Nothing you've offered as solutions would stop a slum lord from simply creating yet another bright shiny new corporation with hidden ownership and go right on buying back their same old confiscated properties.

Sad but true.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:42 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,434 times
I expect this can will be just kicked down the road until there's no road left. Absentee landlording is an office job, possible only while the economy and fossil fuels can support vast networks of office drones, bureaucracy, and telecommunications. Slums will still exist, but with less properties per owner and more personal appearances to collect rent and evict tenants.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:33 PM

152 posts, read 165,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
When I developed that same sort of 'Detroiter mentality' that you're exhibiting, I knew it was time for me to get the hell out of the city.
AND THEN..... we could use a mystical and magical spell with our magical wands to make every place in the world with no problems, **** people we could finally turn the earth into an actual utopia or heaven, how easy.......

Old 10-22-2017, 12:57 AM

152 posts, read 165,933 times
slumlords wont leave because not enough people or companies care about those blight neighborhoods enough to fix these extremely broken neighborhoods. doing so would cost **** loads of money, lots of motivated people to help a really undesirable city, and lots of open minded people. you have to remember, Detroit lacks in ALOT of services such good politics, education system, police force, fire fighters etc. it can take up to.... A COUPLE DAYS... for the police to respond to crimes, or firefighters to respond to burning down houses. because of all of this and not much care for the city, this makes a lot of parts of Detroit to be a no-mans land realm. The slum lords know there is basically no enforcement, so its the perfect place for people like them to live on there "on the wild side" lifestyles. these slumlords and criminally inclined people also know a big chunk of Detroit is basically a playground for anyone who wants to live a criminally inclined life and not get in trouble with the law. a lot of those blight neighborhoods are a playground for slumlords because its such a lawless place. I'm not saying its impossible for people to really start to help and care of the development Detroit coming back, but the whole slumlord thing is a result of many of Detroit's problems snowballing into what Detroit struggles with today.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Shell corporations do a "wonderful" job of keeping slum landlords free of liens and civil/criminal charges. Nothing you've offered as solutions would stop a slum lord from simply creating yet another bright shiny new corporation with hidden ownership and go right on buying back their same old confiscated properties.

Sad but true.
How about only allowing management companies that have been in business for a certain length of time and/or shown a proven track record? Limit the number of homes they can manage until they prove themselves responsible? Require them to list all owners/investors?

Old 10-22-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
I wasn’t suggesting these would solve the problem. I was just opening it up for discussion/brainstorming. But since nothing can ever be done to improve anything, we might as well throw up our hands and abolish all laws and governments and just rely on fate.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
How about only allowing management companies that have been in business for a certain length of time and/or shown a proven track record? Limit the number of homes they can manage until they prove themselves responsible? Require them to list all owners/investors?
One issue with your proposal is that, as has been pointed out by another on this thread, corporations are people in the eyes of the law. If we started saying that people can only purchase residential real estate if they've owned residential real estate for a certain length of time or must show a proven track record, then it not only is unworkable, but would also be successfully challenged in court. And a limitation upon renting housing would probably also not pass legal muster.

The only possible solution is to criminalize the actions of bad landlords, but then the shield of shell corporations protect such landlords. Shell corporations aren't going away.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I wasn’t suggesting these would solve the problem. I was just opening it up for discussion/brainstorming.
I posit that slumlords are a symptom, not the original problem, and the way to mitigate the problem and remove the incentive for landlords who provide substandard/hazardous rental housing is to figure out how to lift more people out of poverty. Bigger paychecks leads to better housing choices becoming available, including the possibility of home ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: