Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 06:26 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,066,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
You just proved my point. With your opening post and the above criticisms, you put down Midtown every time an opportunity arises. You see some armed guards at Whole Foods...time to tell everybody Midtown is still a dangerous neighborhood.

Midtown is "FAR from dynamic and vibrant"?? For the state of Michigan, it's vibrant. There is a current thread, called "Midtown, Marvelous" with posters from out of town contradicting you:

From poster called TheProf, a Cleveland native:

From an expat now living in Nashville, Edgefield D :

From poster It'sAutomatic, from Chicago:
I prefer to see it as reality checks compared to the idea Woodward (aka MidTown) is paved with gold and all roads lead to the Illitch kingdom...you want to be negative and call it bashing, then I guess that reality is beyond the acceptance of some?

And it is not the armed guards, it is the killing, car jacks and assorted other activities no one wants to address, not even Chief Craig...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 05:34 PM

290 posts, read 310,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I prefer to see it as reality checks compared to the idea Woodward (aka MidTown) is paved with gold and all roads lead to the Illitch kingdom...you want to be negative and call it bashing, then I guess that reality is beyond the acceptance of some?

And it is not the armed guards, it is the killing, car jacks and assorted other activities no one wants to address, not even Chief Craig...

It must not be too dangerous that you wouldn't go running in there to work everyday, if I was so afraid of an area they couldn't pay me to work there, how about you?

Old 10-12-2017, 07:24 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,846,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I did try googling and missed it. But one was on the news last night when their store security, an off duty Detroit cop used his night stick in an unruly customer so in a way my original point stands.
From what the news is saying so far... the "unruly customer" you speak of was innocent and falsely accused. Sooo your point still stands about what?

Old 10-12-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:

How many murders and car jackings has it been in Midtown so far this year?

Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,748,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
That's a $300K annual salary for each armed guard.

Either you're slightly off on your number, or I'm in the wrong business.

It's about half of that, actually.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:41 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,222,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
From what the news is saying so far... the "unruly customer" you speak of was innocent and falsely accused. Sooo your point still stands about what?
That a lot of businesses in Detroit like grocery stores have armed security.
I contend that the further you get from Detroit in SE Michigan the less and less you see armed security.
Whether that armed security is needed or is a sound business decision I am not weighing in on. So whther the customer was innocent or not has nothing to do with my point.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:37 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
That a lot of businesses in Detroit like grocery stores have armed security.
I contend that the further you get from Detroit in SE Michigan the less and less you see armed security.
Whether that armed security is needed or is a sound business decision I am not weighing in on. So whther the customer was innocent or not has nothing to do with my point.
Whether the armed security - if it is there, is a concern turn on whether it is a sound decision or just prejudice or clueless owners living int he 1980s. If the former, I do not really want to shop someplace that needs armed security guards, especially lots of them. If the latter, I may not want to support such rollypoly *$^@heads, but I would not be concerned about safety. However if I walk in and see armed guards all over in a store located in a place I am not familiar with, I am going to think they are there for a reason. In mid town, I am going to assume they are there for one of the latter reasons. Not sure what i would think finding armed guards in a grocery store in Ann Arbor. Depends on where in Ann Arbor.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:06 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,132,941 times
Quote:

-Midtown is a relatively dense urban neighborhood with all different kinds of people from all different kinds of backgrounds. Midtown is adjacent to some rough neighborhoods to the east and west. It is never going to be as safe as Troy.

-And midtown is more than Woodward - it's Woodbridge, it's Cass, it's 2nd Avenue, it's 3rd Street, it's the Masonic Temple, it's Wayne State, it's College for Creative Studies, it's the DMC, it's the Museums.

-With 2 police forces providing public safety services in the area, it is going to be safer than other areas of the city.

-The more you post in this thread, your ulterior motive of this thread becomes more evident: To bash Midtown

Old 10-15-2017, 06:09 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,066,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
-Midtown is a relatively dense urban neighborhood with all different kinds of people from all different kinds of backgrounds. Midtown is adjacent to some rough neighborhoods to the east and west. It is never going to be as safe as Troy.

-And midtown is more than Woodward - it's Woodbridge, it's Cass, it's 2nd Avenue, it's 3rd Street, it's the Masonic Temple, it's Wayne State, it's College for Creative Studies, it's the DMC, it's the Museums.

-With 2 police forces providing public safety services in the area, it is going to be safer than other areas of the city.

-The more you post in this thread, your ulterior motive of this thread becomes more evident: To bash Midtown
It seems the issues I have raised are being used by the alt-bashers claiming to be against bashing as they highlight the opposite.

According to this report, the ONLY two reporting areas Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

DID YOU KNOW

The overall crime rate in Midtown is 173% higher than the national average.

For every 100,000 people, there are 21.22 daily crimes that occur in Midtown.

Midtown is safer than 46% of the cities in the Michigan.

In Midtown you have a 1 in 13 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.

The number of total year over year crimes in Detroit has decreased by 1%.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2017 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-16-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
It seems the issues I have raised are being used by the alt-bashers claiming to be against bashing as they highlight the opposite.

According to this report, the ONLY two reporting areas Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

DID YOU KNOW

The overall crime rate in Midtown is 173% higher than the national average.

For every 100,000 people, there are 21.22 daily crimes that occur in Midtown.

Midtown is safer than 46% of the cities in the Michigan.

In Midtown you have a 1 in 13 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.

The number of total year over year crimes in Detroit has decreased by 1%.
First of all look at their definition of Midtown and it's really only the Cass Corridor area. And Midtown is safer than 46% of cities in the entire state of Michigan? That means the crime in Midtown is LITERALLY about average for the state. And it still doesn't take into account the workforce population and students who regularly have to come to Midtown. That 1 and 13 chance or 21.22 per 100,000 people aren't taking into account that there is probably already almost 100,000 people who are in Midtown daily. So if it's about average while not counting the daytime population, it's even safer when counting the daytime population which is not bad for a neighborhood in Detroit. Your not going to convince nobody who lived in actual dangerous neighborhoods before that Midtown is some dangerous ghetto. Compare those stats to E Warren or Mack Ave (where most people don't go btw) and get back with me. Or hell, compare those stats to back in the day when the projects was in Midtown.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2017 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit