Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 05:15 AM

152 posts, read 165,901 times

Advertisements

literally, you go in the grosse pointe park area and be in mansion wonderland full of huge cottage looking houses, then you go over one block into the city and boom, abandoned houses and graffiti. what keeps out the criminals from burning down the houses in grosse pointe park on devils night? what keeps out the crime and violence when it just a little road over? how does this work and happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 05:36 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
My theory is the police. I suspect that the GPPD are really "vigilant" over there.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:34 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,247,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquildreamer95 View Post
what keeps out the criminals from burning down the houses in grosse pointe park on devils night?
To toss a bone to the arsonists they mostly (only?) burned down abandoned houses. No shortage of those in Detroit in the recent past. Not sure you could find an abandon house in the Pointe's. Certainly it wouldn't be easy.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:02 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Because Detroit's decline was more political than economic. One of the biggest myths about Detroit's decline is how it has to do with the decline of the auto industry. Don't get me wrong, the Detroit region as a whole has risen and fallen with the automotive cycles. The city itself is a victim of political divide. People totally miss the political warfare between the city and the suburbs during the 70's - 80's where the suburbs politically walled the city off and sucked the economy and tax base out of it. It created a systemic collapse in a vacuum that affected 144 square miles by a stunning disproportion. I don't think there's another place in the country with such a stark contrast between city and suburb, where you literally cross the street and get a diametric opposite vibe.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Because Detroit's decline was more political than economic. One of the biggest myths about Detroit's decline is how it has to do with the decline of the auto industry. Don't get me wrong, the Detroit region as a whole has risen and fallen with the automotive cycles. The city itself is a victim of political divide. People totally miss the political warfare between the city and the suburbs during the 70's - 80's where the suburbs politically walled the city off and sucked the economy and tax base out of it. It created a systemic collapse in a vacuum that affected 144 square miles by a stunning disproportion. I don't think there's another place in the country with such a stark contrast between city and suburb, where you literally cross the street and get a diametric opposite vibe.
Unfortunately, quite correct

Old 11-01-2017, 09:32 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Yes....the politics of race...not the politics of left vs right.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes....the politics of race...not the politics of left vs right.
Understood - Was not intending to insinuate otherwise. Although I do think there were other complexities such as regional branding, the core of it was very much based in racial divisions. It had nothing to do with Republican vs. Democrat.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Understood - Was not intending to insinuate otherwise. Although I do think there were other complexities such as regional branding, the core of it was very much based in racial divisions. It had nothing to do with Republican vs. Democrat.
Politics is often a Trojan Horse that mask a deeper issues. Sometimes it just seems people are hell bent on not stating the obvious....when it comes to race. Politics, in this instance, is a euphemism/proxy for race.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Politics is often a Trojan Horse that mask a deeper issues. Sometimes it just seems people are hell bent on not stating the obvious....when it comes to race. Politics, in this instance, is a euphemism/proxy for race.
Well if you're asserting I was somehow trying to gloss over the long history of racial tensions in the Detroit area I wasn't. I'm not someone who does that. I would argue Michigan is one of the most segregated and racist states in the country. I would say the tipping for Detroit the came in 1967, which is the single most identifiable event in the fate of the city. It lead to banks not issuing mortgages for properties in the city, and insurance companies not indemnifying property. Then further incentivized people(yes overwhelmingly white) to leave.

What I was also referring to was the suburban governments also offering cheaper tax incentives for businesses to exit, while being in constant legal battles with the city, which further eroded the tax base, and caused even more business to leave. At some point the city became in direct competition with it's greater region for the tax bases needed to stay afloat and it got caught in a catch 22.

What was left was a 4 million person metro area without an identifiable core. It became one of the least attractive major metros in the country as it had almost no character, or regional cohesion. By the 00's even the suburbs started to enter a state of decline. I think this was because of a weaker overall region. It does seem that over the last 10 years or so the regional governments have started to wake up and understand that they actually do need a healthy Detroit, and simply can't continue to pretend it doesn't exist.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Well if you're asserting I was somehow trying to gloss over the long history of racial tensions in the Detroit area I wasn't. I'm not someone who does that. I would argue Michigan is one of the most segregated and racist states in the country. I would say the tipping for Detroit the came in 1967, which is the single most identifiable event in the fate of the city. It lead to banks not issuing mortgages for properties in the city, and insurance companies not indemnifying property. Then further incentivized people(yes overwhelmingly white) to leave.

What I was also referring to was the suburban governments also offering cheaper tax incentives for businesses to exit, while being in constant legal battles with the city, which further eroded the tax base, and caused even more business to leave. At some point the city became in direct competition with it's greater region for the tax bases needed to stay afloat and it got caught in a catch 22.

What was left was a 4 million person metro area without an identifiable core. It became one of the least attractive major metros in the country as it had almost no character, or regional cohesion. By the 00's even the suburbs started to enter a state of decline. I think this was because of a weaker overall region. It does seem that over the last 10 years or so the regional governments have started to wake up and understand that they actually do need a healthy Detroit, and simply can't continue to pretend it doesn't exist.
Sorry...I was not insinuating that of you.....I know your history of comments It was really meant for other readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit