Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 07:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Half of South Eastern Michigan shut down today. everyone from our department is working from home. Meetings and trips cancelled, schools and public buildings closed. And then it did forgot to snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 07:31 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
It is going steady right now. Snowing continuously. glad I am working from home today. Looks beautiful. Many of us who choose to stay home decided that it wouldn't be so bad coming into work In the morning since snow is fresh but by the time we go home the snow would pile up and driving would be difficult.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
The snow so far was as forecast on my weather underground app. A 1-3 inches overnight to wake up to then another 6-8 today, 2 tomorrow and 2 Sunday.

a sidebar...my wife watches channel 4 in the morning. Priya Mann gave a report saying she was out in the Ann Arbor area on 275 approaching 96...

Edit: I think a lot of closures were as much about the evening drive as the morning drive.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:07 AM

We are getting a little now.

I do not mind driving hime in the snow. I do mind driving home in all the people who do not know how to drive in the snow. How can their be so many? It has been a snowy year, why dont they learn?

Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
Its pretty out, a good day to be working from home, if you even want to call it that.

The roads out here in western Oakland county are not bad, but had everything not shut down it would have been pure gridlock both on the morning and evening commute. Too much traffic, too slow of speeds, for the conditions.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings were bad enough as it was even with only 1-2" on the ground.

At least this allows the road crews better ability to keep plowing without it being pure gridlock on the roads. Plus it allows the people who really have to report to work - first res-ponders, medical, road crews, snow crews, and such to actually get to their jobs versus those of us who can do a majority of our work for a day remote.

Too bad it came on a Friday for me, I always work from home Fridays anyways, unless I'm traveling.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:52 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
How common is it for people to work from home? My place has few people who work from home every Friday. The rest of us work from home randomly like on snow day or doctor appointment. Some people just show up no matter what. I really want to make it permanent/official but I am afraid of the image it will give.

The people who work from home on weekly base or work 4 (10s) are in their 50's, have years of experience. I already have a slacker image at work because I am the last one to start the day. I get my work done so management never had any issues except to warn me that I have this image & people talk. I have ignored the talk/image for 10 years. Now I would like to take another step that will leave my coworker wondering "what does she do? where is she?" by working from home 1/week. It will leave lot of people jealous. I don't know why I feel guilty, I do work. Maybe I should ease into it by working from home once every 2 week or once a month.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:30 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,738 times
I think it's increasingly common. It absolutely never hurts to ask, especially if you have a reason for it. A friend recently was made permanently remote just by asking after only 6 months at a place and without much of a valid reason except being closer to her parents.

I don't know what the OP is talking about, though, the snow definitely came as expected. The idea was never that there would be feet of accumulation, just a half foot at the worst possible time: morning rush hour

Old 02-10-2018, 02:05 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
I worked from home yesterday, and like CJ as I looked outside around 8 I was questioning my decision, but as afternoon rolled around it became quite clear that avoiding the roads yesterday was a very good choice. It came a few hours later than I expected, but now 36 hours and 10” later I’m not sure I’d say it “fizzled” haha, this is a strong storm even by Mountain West standards.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:56 PM

We ended up getting about 18" plus. Snow blower broke. Good thing it is light and fluffy snow.

We drove to Grand Rapids today. Novi was terrible It took an hour just to get through Novi. Once past Lansing, clear and dry. Coming home was odd. 275 was full of snow, but Middlebelt road was completely cleared. 96 was clear too. 275 was barely passable.

I can never understand why people will drive on 275 covered with snow at 35 MPH then the same people get on Middlebelt road which is clear and dry and they drive 25. It is like they think it necessary to drive a certain amount under the speed limit regardless of conditions.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:34 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
This week was a snowstorm from hell. But I'm glad alot of places decided to shut down instead of causing more problems on the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit