Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 09:59 AM

5 posts, read 5,326 times

Advertisements

How would you characterize the Woodbridge neighborhood? Is it safe area to visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 11:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Go there during Dalley in the Alley. People everywhere. That makes things safer.

Personally I think Woodbridge is fine. I have not problem going there any time of day but with common sense as with anywhere in any city. However I am 6'1"+ and 200+ pounds and I have a lot of experience living in areas where you need to be careful. To me, Woodbridge is below my ordinary level of concern.

Other people have different levels of what is safe. A policeman in my present community told me the place where I live is not all that safe and i should consider living elsewhere. A magazine has consistently rated our township as the safest place in Michigan. Safety is relative and subjective.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:28 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Not all that much in Woodbridge to "visit."

There are shops and places to eat all along Cass Avenue (Shinola, TJ SNUGGS, SLOW'S BBQ, and other quaint urban shops) 4 or 5 blocks east of Woodbridge. There are also a few places along Grand River between Warren and Martin Luther King in the Woodbridge neighborhood like the African Bead Museum, the Architectural Salvation Shop(corner of Warren / Grand River) the ART along Grand river is phenomenal on the buildings and behind the Bead Museum.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:43 PM

It is neat just to walk around. A neat place to look at. Often there are people out and about and some are talky types.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 5,326 times
What about Indian Village to see the historic homes?

Old 03-09-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katebrowne View Post
What about Indian Village to see the historic homes?
Indiand Village is neat, but Boston Edison is where thee really impressive mansions are to be found.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:57 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,160,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Indiand Village is neat, but Boston Edison is where thee really impressive mansions are to be found.
Indian Village has more consistently larger mansions. There are some huge mansions in Boston-Edison, like the B. Siegel and Henry Ford mansions, but there are a lot of smaller 2,000 sq ft mini-mansions like this. In Indian Village, all of the houses are at least 3,000 sq ft like this.

Also, adjacent to Indian Village is West Village which has some great single-family and multi-family architecture, and a good number of business sprouting up along Agnes Street and Kercheval Street. Lastly, Indian/West Village are adjacent to the Detroit River, and there are a few riverfront parks you can explore.

FOR THE OP, Woodbridge has some phenomenal residential architecture, and if you are really into architecture, you could spend a few hours walking down Trumbull, Avery, and Commonwealth Streets, but there are not too many businesses in the immediate neighborhood (there is a pub and a hipster pizzeria). You would have to cross the Lodge Freeway to get to the restaurants, coffee shops, and other businesses. Woodbridge is safe, but the Grand River corridor is somewhat blighted and I wouldn't cross over into the adjacent Briggs neighborhood (except to check out the Quonset Hut community).

Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 AM

To me 3000 s.f. is just a house. in Boston Edison there are 10,000 - 18,000 s.f. mansions (we foolishly considered buying one-such some years ago). They are spectacular to see. Indian Village has some rally neat historic houses, but nothing on that scale that I am aware of. If I have guests in who want to see the splendor of Detroit's past, I take them to B.E. Palmer whatever has some pretty amazing places too.

While Indian Village is a nice collection of large older homes on normal neighborhood lots, there are simlar places in some of the suburbs. However there is nothing like BE except maybe in Bloomfiled Hills, but you cannot get close enough to the mansions there to see them. Maybe I just hav enot seen the right parts of Indian village.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:59 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,160,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
To me 3000 s.f. is just a house. in Boston Edison there are 10,000 - 18,000 s.f. mansions (we foolishly considered buying one-such some years ago). They are spectacular to see. Indian Village has some rally neat historic houses, but nothing on that scale that I am aware of. If I have guests in who want to see the splendor of Detroit's past, I take them to B.E. Palmer whatever has some pretty amazing places too.

While Indian Village is a nice collection of large older homes on normal neighborhood lots, there are simlar places in some of the suburbs. However there is nothing like BE except maybe in Bloomfiled Hills, but you cannot get close enough to the mansions there to see them. Maybe I just hav enot seen the right parts of Indian village.
I underestimated the average size of an Indian Village home. They are probably around 5,000 square feet on average. See below links from houses currently for sale.

https://www.realestateone.com/homes/...troit-MI-48214

https://www.realestateone.com/homes/...troit-MI-48214

Yeah, Boston-Edison does have several 15,000 sq. foot estates that may take up an acre of land, but Indian Village has the larger houses overall. And there are no LARGE collections of houses like IV and BE and PW in the metro except Grosse Pointe. There are over 300 houses in Indian Village. You are not going to find 5,000 square footer after 5,000 square footer block after block after block like Indian Village except for the Grosse Pointes - not Pleasant Ridge, not Dearborn, not Pontiac, not Bloomfield Hills

Here is a 9,000 square footer in IV that sold last year

https://detroit.curbed.com/2016/7/26...e-mansion-sold

Here is a 15,000 square footer in IV from several years ago

https://detroit.curbed.com/2014/8/18...-price-of-800k

9,300 square feet

https://detroit.curbed.com/2014/8/8/...indian-village

Old 03-14-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I
Here is a 15,000 square footer in IV from several years ago

https://detroit.curbed.com/2014/8/18...-price-of-800k

[]
There is an actual mansion that is spectacular to see. I did not know IV had houses like that. Ekeing more square footage out of the basement and/or attic does not make a spectacular mansion. But this one is remarkable.

I will have to go search around IV and see what i can find. Maybe next time we have guests who want to see the splendor of Detroit's history, I will take them there instead.

THis is the house we considered buying for a moment of foolishness:

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/4/28...r-mansion-sold

It was in the $450,000 - $500,000 range at the time. We considered what was needed over time to fix it up, it was livable but needed work. We had schools figured out, security, etc. However we did not factor in the cost of heating 18,0000 s.f., or the absurd Detroit property taxes (we were moving from California).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit