Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:25 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times

Advertisements

Chains that, if I lived in Downtown/Midtown, I'd like to have accessible:

- Trader Joe's (#1 requirement)
- Target or Meijer (not a huge one, mind you) - NOT WalMart
- Busch's or Kroger
- A smaller grocery store, such as Fresh&Easy that L.A. used to have (or Aldi)
- Slurping Turtle (I know, small chain, but a good one)
- Vapiano
- Nespresso (it would be GREAT to finally stop ordering capsules online)
- Marshall's (despite what I posted a few posts ago, I do shop there and if they could keep the inventory at West Bloomfield quality levels, it just might work)
- I was going to say a good ice cream place (not Coldstone), but just remembered that there's now a Treat Dreams next to La Feria by Wayne State

I'm sure there are others, but these are ones that spring to mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 06:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
The trendy stores like Underarmor, Nike, MooseJaw and the like have zero appeal to me personally, other maybe to go in a laugh at the prices. I am amazed at people's willingness to pay massive mark up for name brands. I can buy the same Nike shoes at Meijers for 1/3 the price.

Highliander has a good idea. A wish list is an interesting idea. What would you like to see in the City or what would you shop at?

I do not do much shopping except when I am on vacation. Sometimes I used to shop around just to kill time when I had to travel for work. I always arrived an hour early to get the lay of the land, make sure I was on time, etc. Then I usually ended up with 20 - 40 minutes to kill. Otherwise, I mostly shop in emergency situations, or when I am with someone who likes to stroll through stores and look at stuff.

Here is what I would like to have readily available:

Mid level men's business wear (suit) store. Not trendy or high end. Practical. Some place that will have good dress shirts on sale for $20 each once in a while, suits that you can wear for 15 years for $400 (not trendy, trendy goes out of style, basic styles that will work throughout the "trendy" changes). A place you can grab a tie, or a polo shirt (if you unexpectedly get invited to Tigers or Wings and do not want to go int a dress shirt). There was a JOS Bank in the Ren Cen, that was ok, but their quality was a bit below what I look for (too much polyester) and prices too high for what you get. They closed anyway. It would be nice to had a decent tailor shop as well for quick repairs.

Shoe shop (we have one, another would be nice for some options and price competition).

Novelty toy store. Must have cool kites and puppets.

Gift shop with neat usual but not crazy expensive wife type stuff for last minute ao sh*t it is ____ tomorrow!). (A place Like H Foster & Jackson in Tustin California).

Magic Shop.

A music shop where people can come in an try out instruments and do impromptu performances (I have seen these just don't remember where).

A gadget store like Brookstone or (whatever the other mall one is), but not all the same stuff that is everywhere. I have seen independent one store versions, Someplace you can get your boss a fancy pen or a cor worker a robot that gets you a pent form the work room when you discover it is their birthday.

A hardware store like Restoration Hardware only better. Maybe ASW could open a shop in mid-town that would be neat.

One place I forgot about that is really awesome to browse is the auction house on Jefferson (forget their name). It would be better not on Jefferson though. It is unnerving to walk on the sidewalk on Jefferson. Also the air lock to get in is a bit disconcerting. I would like to see them relocate.

A fossil store. - I just like them. Although I have never bought anything at one.

Sunglasses place. OK this is touristy Kitchy kind of place, but I lose sunglasses regularly.

More practical bicycle shop. I bring my bike in on Mondays for slow roll and on some other days when my wife works late and ride around. Available repairs, parts, and accessories would be nice.

I love antique stores. Thrift stores can be cool to poke around in too. Do we even have a salvation army store in the City? I know they have a big facility on Fort Street, but not sure if they have a store. St Vincent DePaul? Goodwill? Any off them could have a neat "best of" kind of shop. Te real-estate might be hard to come up with, but Dan Gilbert might help out. He has lots of available space. Or Mike Higgins. He has lots of lower end real estate.

What would you like to see?

Old 05-08-2018, 07:50 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
These are some places here in the Ann Arbor area either me and/or my wife are known to shop (I am 66, she is 61 so we ar not youngsters)

Kohls
Marshalls
Best Buy
Target
Bed Bath Beyond
Petco/Pet Smart/Pet Supplies Plus (pick one)
Home Goods
Home Depot
Kroger
Costco
DSW
Office Max

I'm not suggesting they all would fit in a revitalized downtown Detroit .

Old 05-08-2018, 02:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Do we even have a salvation army store in the City? I know they have a big facility on Fort Street, but not sure if they have a store.
It's a store. I've caught the 125 bus in front of there coming out of the Greyhound station to go back to Ecorse. Never actually did go in there though.

Also one on Michigan Ave @ Central Ave.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
The trendy stores like Underarmor, Nike, MooseJaw and the like have zero appeal to me personally, other maybe to go in a laugh at the prices. I am amazed at people's willingness to pay massive mark up for name brands. I can buy the same Nike shoes at Meijers for 1/3 the price.
You actually can't (they aren't going to be nearly the same shoes despite both having the swoosh), but your point is still valid: I don't understand paying MSRP for anything and that's essentially what you're paying at these stores. These stores are OK for established metropolises with residents who have lots of disposable income, but not for up-and-coming ones such as Detroit where bargain-hunting is still important. A Nike or Under Armour factory store would clean up, though.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
You actually can't (they aren't going to be nearly the same shoes despite both having the swoosh), but your point is still valid: I don't understand paying MSRP for anything and that's essentially what you're paying at these stores. These stores are OK for established metropolises with residents who have lots of disposable income, but not for up-and-coming ones such as Detroit where bargain-hunting is still important. A Nike or Under Armour factory store would clean up, though.
I should have used Marshalls as an example, not Meijer. Although I am not sure whether Meijer gets the same leftovers that Marshalls gets they may or may not - no idea. I do know we have bought top name brands top model shoes at Meijer for less than in high end retails stores or factory stores. I can specifically remember Asics, but I know you find Nikes at Meijers too. However it does not matter, we can use Marshall's for discussion and eliminate the problem of focusing on the specific example rather than on the principal. Go back to my post and substitute Marchsalls for Meijers and your concern is eliminated. Meijers was just a random example. It does nto have to be Meijers, Marshalls works equally well. Point is you can buy the same quality Nike shoes and possibly clothing as you find at the Nike store but for a fraction of the cost. It may be last seasons models, but who cares? Paying the brand name store premium still makes no sense to me and I would still never buy anything at those stores.

How Hyped Sneakers End up at Marshalls | Complex

Old 05-09-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I should have used Marshalls as an example, not Meijer. Although I am not sure whether Meijer gets the same leftovers that Marshalls gets they may or may not - no idea.
At Marshalls you can, but a couple years from today, since they get last year's stuff (if lucky) and even older models (usually). Meijer has lines made specifically for them, I believe.
Quote:
I do know we have bought top name brands top model shoes at Meijer for less than in high end retails stores or factory stores. I can specifically remember Asics, but I know you find Nikes at Meijers too.
New Balance, as well. But they are either just as expensive (I've seen NBs for $70 there) or they are lower-feature, simpler models.
Quote:
Go back to my post and substitute Marchsalls for Meijers and your concern is eliminated. Meijers was just a random example. It does nto have to be Meijers, Marshalls works equally well. Point is you can buy the same quality Nike shoes and possibly clothing as you find at the Nike store but for a fraction of the cost. It may be last seasons models, but who cares? Paying the brand name store premium still makes no sense to me and I would still never buy anything at those stores.
As I mentioned before, I am in full agreement with you on this; but we're not the intended target audience of the factory flagship stores. There must be enough people who are either not savvy enough or don't care enough to bargain shop, who sustain those stores.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:25 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Quote:
The Nike Store downtown is a "Nike Community store". It is a basically a Nike Outlet store, but with Detroit sports teams and Michigan/Michigan state apparel. You can buy gym shoes there for under $50. Most of the shoe merchandise is not the latest "models". You work downtown, this store has been open for 2 years, and you never once stopped in to see what this place offers?

The Under Armour store down the street is a full-fledged store with the latest releases for that company.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
The Nike Store downtown is a "Nike Community store". It is a basically a Nike Outlet store, but with Detroit sports teams and Michigan/Michigan state apparel. You can buy gym shoes there for under $50. Most of the shoe merchandise is not the latest "models". You work downtown, this store has been open for 2 years, and you never once stopped in to see what this place offers?

The Under Armour store down the street is a full-fledged store with the latest releases for that company.
I have been in there. they have really expensive things I do not want. I went in there once to watch some unusual people who also went in. that was worthwhile and free. I have not been in the under-armor store. My family bought boxers for me for years after they realized I have enough ties.. Now I have enough underwear to last until I die. However I did go into one of their stores at a mall with one of my sons. I suspect the Detroit one is pretty much the same.

Moosejaw has some really neat things (and some trendy name price gougers, but most stores have some of that). I like to look around in there but I would never buy anything at those prices.

I would like a Carhart store. (Is there one?) It is also usually too expensive, but their stuff is generally really good quality. I have a jacket already though and it will likely last forever, but quality anything can be nice to look at. Real quality products are so rare. I do not like shopping, but it is neat to look at how they make some of their stuff.

Personally I would rather find Nikes and Carhart at Salvation Army. $1500 is the price for a car, not a pair of sneakers

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-10-2018 at 07:47 PM..

Old 05-11-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
The Nike Store downtown is a "Nike Community store". It is a basically a Nike Outlet store, but with Detroit sports teams and Michigan/Michigan state apparel. You can buy gym shoes there for under $50. Most of the shoe merchandise is not the latest "models".
No kidding? You just saved me an hour and a half. Was going to drive to Great Lakes Crossing after work to see what I can buy with my $150 Nike gift card, but looks like I won't be needing to do that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit