Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 AM

143 posts, read 314,703 times

Advertisements

I am currently out of state and looking for antique stores in the Detroit metro area to sell some mid century furniture (dining table, chairs, china cabinet, beds and dressers) that belonged to my grandmother. I will be there (Macomb) in 2 weeks. Any suggestions on stores that specialize in MC furniture resale would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I cannot help with a specific location, I do not know anywhere that buys much furniture like that. I can tell you you are gong to be disappointed by the price you get. It may not even be worth the cost and hassle of bringing it to them. The market for vintage and antique furniture is terrible right now. There is an abundant supply. Few Mellinnials seem to want such things. We have an antique dining room set we bought at a fair price of $6,000 in about 2001, maybe a bit before. We would be very lucky to get $1,000 for it in the market, and if we sold it to an antique store, probably about $200.

There is an auction house in Detroit (Domouchelle - something like that). They might put it in one of their auctions if it is high end stuff. There is an auction place in Plymouth called RJM that will sell anything. I think RJM takes 30% of the sale price. No idea what Domouchelle charges.

Otherwise Craigslist or Facebook are probably your best bets, especially "Sold it on Facebook" for your local area since the idea of hauling big furniture long distances or travelling long distances to look at it is not appealing to a lot of people.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:38 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
I think Coldjensens has some sound advice.
Obviously I don't know how much it will cost you to get it here but as CJ says it may not be worth the effort...unless your costs to ship are very minimal.

There is an antique fair once a month at the saline fair grounds....maybe you could find some useful information with a visit.

Saline Antiques Market Ann Arbor

Old 06-08-2018, 08:44 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I cannot help with a specific location, I do not know anywhere that buys much furniture like that. I can tell you you are gong to be disappointed by the price you get. It may not even be worth the cost and hassle of bringing it to them. The market for vintage and antique furniture is terrible right now. There is an abundant supply. Few Mellinnials seem to want such things. We have an antique dining room set we bought at a fair price of $6,000 in about 2001, maybe a bit before. We would be very lucky to get $1,000 for it in the market, and if we sold it to an antique store, probably about $200.

There is an auction house in Detroit (Domouchelle - something like that). They might put it in one of their auctions if it is high end stuff. There is an auction place in Plymouth called RJM that will sell anything. I think RJM takes 30% of the sale price. No idea what Domouchelle charges.

Otherwise Craigslist or Facebook are probably your best bets, especially "Sold it on Facebook" for your local area since the idea of hauling big furniture long distances or travelling long distances to look at it is not appealing to a lot of people.
Mid-century architecture and furniture seems to have become quite popular today. Maybe your antique furniture set is that ultra ornate type that was popular prior to the 1950's - I do not know if there is a huge market for that type of furniture currently.

For the OP. Curbed Detroit recently released a list of its of "The best furniture and antique stores in Detroit, mapped". Link is below:

https://detroit.curbed.com/maps/best...niture-detroit

I would also do a Google search of antique stores in Birmingham, MI. Birmingham is an upscale community that has historically been known for stores like that.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:45 AM

143 posts, read 314,703 times
Thanks to all for your replies. I appreciate all your suggestions and links. I will check them out.

@usroute10...the furniture is not ornate. I would guess it is considered mid century danish as it has very clean, sleek lines. I wasn't hoping to get a high price for the furniture. I just thought it would be better to sell to someone searching for authentic antique pieces in that style rather than donating it to a charity along with the rest of the homes contents. I will definitely check out the Birmingham antique stores.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav286 View Post
Thanks to all for your replies. I appreciate all your suggestions and links. I will check them out.

@usroute10...the furniture is not ornate. I would guess it is considered mid century danish as it has very clean, sleek lines. I wasn't hoping to get a high price for the furniture. I just thought it would be better to sell to someone searching for authentic antique pieces in that style rather than donating it to a charity along with the rest of the homes contents. I will definitely check out the Birmingham antique stores.
If it is Eames (?) it may be more valuable. That stuff was pretty popular recently, probably still is.

I am mid century Danish. Why do I not have clean sleek lines? Not fair. Stupid chairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit