Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,846,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChester View Post
For the most part, Oakland County is NOT suburban Detroit. Neither is Macomb. The cities right next to Detroit can be considered suburbs but Oakland and Macomb are very much separate from Detroit and do not identify with it. Calling Auburn Hills a suburb of Detroit is laughable.

There are two basic views in S.E. Michigan: People who are Detroit-centric and those who aren't. The Detroit-centric crowd thinks that anything and everything is about Detroit. Those who aren't think as little as possible about Detroit. If you are thinking of moving to any city, find out if it's in Wayne County. If it is, you'll have to travel to Detroit on a somewhat regular basis and your taxes will be higher. Either view, Detroit-centric or not, has truth to it. The trick is to find out how your particular life fits in. I would never move to Detroit, even if I was ridiculously rich. I don't consider where I live to be in the Detroit area. Others don't share that view. It's not an issue that has a right answer or a wrong one for everybody, it's highly subjective. But Auburn Hills, again, is in Oakland County, not Wayne, and isn't close to Detroit, and Detroit isn't big or important enough, to earn the right to call it a suburb.
Umm lol what? Detroit is one of the biggest and most important cities and metro areas in the country. Auburn Hills would be farmland and woods if it weren't for it's proximity to Detroit. It is a suburb in every since of the word. A large chunk of people who live in Oakland and Macomb counties work and play in Detroit and this is backed up with facts.

Atlanta and Miami have a smaller city limit population then Detroit. Yet they both have SUBURBS that are just as far as Auburn Hills.

Kalamazoo, Lansing, Grand Rapids, ect. Those are cities that are not suburbs. They stand alone and did not grow mainly because of it's proximity to Detroit. Auburn Hills is the opposite of those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 07:53 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,644,808 times
Lol, wut? Auburn Hills isn't a Detroit suburb? Okay, sure. Also of note, Lake Erie isn't really a Great Lake because it's not as exciting. Interstate 696 isn't really an interstate because it's only in one state. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan isn't really in Michigan, because it's connected to Wisconsin. Pizza isn't really food, because it's way better than other food. The letter X isn't really a letter, because we don't use it very much. Donald Trump isn't president, because I saw a bumper sticker on a Subaru that said, "Not my president!" And cats aren't really alive because they have no souls.

As you can see, I too like using the internet to arbitrarily state things that contradict reality because I felt like it.

My point is Auburn Hills is definitely a suburb of Detroit, as are other communities in northern Oakland and Macomb counties. Now you can convince me that a place like Romeo or Holly is an exurb of Detroit, as these communities do tend to be a bit isolated and would likely exist on their own without the presence of a major city 45 miles away; however, they greatly benefit from the Detroit economy, and if that doesn't make sense to you compare the money and typical lifestyle of a resident in Romeo to one in Bad Axe or compare Downtown Oxford to Downtown Evart.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:46 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,628,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChester View Post
For the most part, Oakland County is NOT suburban Detroit. Neither is Macomb. The cities right next to Detroit can be considered suburbs but Oakland and Macomb are very much separate from Detroit and do not identify with it. Calling Auburn Hills a suburb of Detroit is laughable.

There are two basic views in S.E. Michigan: People who are Detroit-centric and those who aren't. The Detroit-centric crowd thinks that anything and everything is about Detroit. Those who aren't think as little as possible about Detroit. If you are thinking of moving to any city, find out if it's in Wayne County. If it is, you'll have to travel to Detroit on a somewhat regular basis and your taxes will be higher. Either view, Detroit-centric or not, has truth to it. The trick is to find out how your particular life fits in. I would never move to Detroit, even if I was ridiculously rich. I don't consider where I live to be in the Detroit area. Others don't share that view. It's not an issue that has a right answer or a wrong one for everybody, it's highly subjective. But Auburn Hills, again, is in Oakland County, not Wayne, and isn't close to Detroit, and Detroit isn't big or important enough, to earn the right to call it a suburb.
I can't think of any other place in the world where the locals express such vitriol towards their urban core.

It's sad.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:07 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,835,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I can't think of any other place in the world where the locals express such vitriol towards their urban core.

It's sad.

They don't, for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit