U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,534 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Detroit area (working in Warren) in the next 45 days and would appreciate any feedback on the surrounding communities.

Here is a bit about my situation and what I am looking for:

1..Early 30s and married with a baby on the way, so schools are important
2..Would like to have a fairly short commute IF POSSIBLE (<15-20 min)
3..Can afford homes in the 400K-600K range
4..very active, like watersports, not conservative nor overly liberal
5..dislike snobs, but want a nice, upscale area, lots to do, convient, safe
6....Big issue...wife likes newer homes while I like older (remodeled) homes with more charm so please let me know if one or the other is available here

I have heard a little about Birmgham, Bloomfield H, Groos Point, etc....but would like some feedback based on our situation and hopefully some recommendations.

Thanks for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:13 AM

280 posts, read 679,975 times
Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills and Grosse Point are definitely among the top areas but you may encounter snobbery. If you're looking to commute to Warren, you should definitely consider Troy. It's a great city with lots to do and nice, safe neighborhoods. I wouldn't rule out Sterling Heights and Clawson either. Royal Oak and Ferndale have a lot of charm but are on the more artsy/liberal side and not as family oriented. If you like to be around water you might want to consider St. Clair Shores. My favorite suburb is Rochester/Rochester Hills. It might be a further commute but it's a wonderful area and the school system is excellent. Hope this helped!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 AM

8,696 posts, read 6,984,424 times
I agree with above post. Troy and Sterling Heights both made the safest city list in US. I think that Troy may have higher taxes, not sure on that one. There are some beautiful homes in both cities. I have lived in Ferndale, Hazel Park, Warren and Sterling Heights. Of those, Sterling Heights is my favorite as far as schools, neighborhoods, community activities for children and adults. Parks are close by and nice. Short drive to Warren. I worked in Madison Heights and it only took me 20 mins to get to work, barring any accidents or horrible weather. I love my neighbors, I did not have the neighbor feel in the other cities. You can get a great house for the range you are looking in. Many new builds here.

Good luck and if you need any other info, let me know. I have been in Metro Detroit area for over 40 yrs. (eek)

Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM

8,696 posts, read 6,984,424 times
Hi again! Was thinking about your situation...did you ever think about renting first to see if you are sure you like the area? If you do buy and do not like where you are at, it could be very difficult to sell as homes are just not moving very quickly here. If so, let me know. My husband is getting transferred to Vegas for at least a year and we may be looking to rent out our home. I don't think we will have a problem finding renters, because we are in a great location with great schools(I really hate to leave, but it is just a better opportunity for him right now) I moved here when my daughter was in 4th grade and my son was in 8th. The elementary school is right over our backyard fence. The kids played in the park many times and it was awesome when we have family get togethers, because the kids just head out the back gate to the playground!

I can't say enough good things about my neighbors. They are extremely friendly and helpful. The woman right across the street just had a baby. There are many children in this sub. And the beauty of this sub is that it is a circle sub, one way in and out so you get no through traffic. Very quiet. City Hall, Library and Police station are within walking distance as is a big community park that has summer concerts, kids activities and a big summer festival. Plus it has walking trails along the Clinton River. We are only about 10 minutes from Lake St. Clair and all sorts of water sports happen on that lake. We hang out over there quite frequently in the summer.

Anyway, just a thought. I know that buying is investing your money and if you do your homework, like I said, you can get a great house for the money today.

Good luck again!!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 PM

199 posts, read 611,651 times
To get that commute time I would have to say Sterling Heights, Rochester Hills or Troy. Troy schools are some of the best in the state. It is also more upscale than Sterling Heights. However, on the downside, Troy is considered by some to be a little sterile. You will probably find younger couples/families in Sterling Heights and Rochester Hills.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM

866 posts, read 2,812,492 times
I would look into Sterling Heights, Shelby Twp. Or one area that has many beautiful homes is Washington Twp. also has good schools as I hear. Washington Twp. I believe would not be a killer commute. <All of these suburbs are considered the northern suburbs.

You did mention you liked the water, therefore I would look into the Grosse Pointes and St. Clair Shores (On the eastside of metro), the Pointes have some of the best schools in the state. for $500 - 600K you can also get a beautiful home near or possibly on Lake St. Clair with a tree lined street, just look around.
Good sites to look at are:
Real Estate One.com
Remax.com
MLS.com
homes.com

Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 AM

296 posts, read 524,937 times
I live in the north of Sterling Heights and work in Warren and my commute is 18 mins tops. We chose to live in this location because of the short commute, the convenience on having the M-59 (shops and restaurants) so close and for the schools. Also you wont even have to go into the 400,000's to get a very nice house. The same with Troy, decent commute to Warren, top notch schools and you can get a very nice house for less than 400,000. My favorite suburb is Rochester Hills. Have great schools and lots of houses with walk out basements. Originally we were looking into Rochester Hills but decided on SH because we wanted to keep my commute under 20 min. The downside of SH and Troy is that they are super flat (no walk outs)

Birmingham and the Bloomfields are very nice and very popular, and that is reflected in the prices. $400,000 wont get you much in these places (at least when you compare them to Troy or Rochester).

Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM

13 posts, read 977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutigerinkc View Post
I will be moving to the Detroit area (working in Warren) in the next 45 days and would appreciate any feedback on the surrounding communities.

Here is a bit about my situation and what I am looking for:

1..Early 30s and married with a baby on the way, so schools are important
2..Would like to have a fairly short commute IF POSSIBLE (<15-20 min)
3..Can afford homes in the 400K-600K range
4..very active, like watersports, not conservative nor overly liberal
5..dislike snobs, but want a nice, upscale area, lots to do, convient, safe
6....Big issue...wife likes newer homes while I like older (remodeled) homes with more charm so please let me know if one or the other is available here

I have heard a little about Birmgham, Bloomfield H, Groos Point, etc....but would like some feedback based on our situation and hopefully some recommendations.

Thanks for your help.

Birmingham and Bloomfield are VERY nice areas. The school systems are excellent and it seems that everyone you meet in public seems to be in an upbeat mood. Leases and mortgages are a bit pricy, but it is well worth it if you can afford it.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:01 PM

57 posts, read 125,271 times
i was in farmington hills, but thats too far away, so im just gonna help ya with what i can. if you want a short commute, water sports, nice nieghboor hood, you might want to look into st. clair shores. im not to sure about that community, but im sure they have some nice houses and ones you can afford. im not real sure on the schools, or crime, but according to this website its pretty safe. so st. clair shores might be a good choice. just a suggestion.

well good luck finding a good home and enjoy the metro!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:32 AM

72 posts, read 168,977 times
Default Consider Grosse Ile

Grosse Ile is an Island suburban community south of Detoit in Lake/Erie/Detroit River with short and easy commute downtown. It is very safe, clean and has among the best schools in the state. You will be hard pressed to find a better place in the area to get outside and enjoy the trees, water etc. In this market that price range is very affordable in this normally expensive upscale community.

Also look into City of Plymouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit