U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 08:42 PM

1,583 posts, read 1,673,886 times

Advertisements

Go on Moveinmichigan and look for leases. You will find 3 bedroom ranch houses to rent in good neighborhoods such as Farmington Hills and Livonia. This is kind not too far from downtown Detroit and downtown Ann Arbor. Easy commute to both. Everyone is different, but I would prefer a single family house to rent while looking for a place to settle in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 PM

915 posts, read 1,211,306 times
Quicken and Blue Cross/Blue Shield are always looking for people and their offices are right down town.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:50 AM

780 posts, read 269,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Go on Moveinmichigan and look for leases. You will find 3 bedroom ranch houses to rent in good neighborhoods such as Farmington Hills and Livonia. This is kind not too far from downtown Detroit and downtown Ann Arbor. Easy commute to both. Everyone is different, but I would prefer a single family house to rent while looking for a place to settle in.
Heck, I could probably get an entire house to rent for what a 2-BR costs here in Denver.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:59 PM

28,559 posts, read 67,794,922 times
If you want to rent a house outside the city, you have an entirely different set of decisions to make. We have a lot of very different and very nice suburbs to chose from. Where to chose depends on your commute tolerance and priorities.

Rent downtown is very expensive for Michigan. Midtown has more available, so you can find some decent deals. But if you want to live where the excitement is, you will pay a premium.

Outside the City only the nicest suburbs are in the Detroit price range. You get something completely different in various ways, but not the excitement of downtown living. By way of example, in our town there is a one bedroom condo for rent for $750. about the same as midtown, maybe a little less. Grosse Ile is one of the nicest suburbs, but it is an entirely different lifestyle from the City. Quiet, clean forestry, boaty, slow paced, small townish, super safe, awesome schools, kind of a high end summer camp or country club type atmosphere.

As you step down to less nice/safe/popular suburbs you can get a lot more house for the same amount of money. Then it goes back up if you start talking about waterfront. I saw a five bedroom house for 41800 a month in one of the less popular downriver cities. I cannot remember which one, but it may have been Wyandotte. I also have a friend who has a super nice 2 or 3 BR condo on the water (with a dock) in Wyandotte that he rents out for $2500 a month. Wyandotte is a neat city with a fun little downtown. It is cheaper because the schools do not do as well and the crime rate is slightly higher than some to the top suburbs. However it would be a fun place to live if you could walk downtown.

Step down to a bland suburb and you can cut the rent by 40% or get a bigger place with land for the same price. Get out tot he exurbs and you may get into acreage with a farmhouse for the same $.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 01-08-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-08-2019, 01:48 PM

780 posts, read 269,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you want to rent a house outside the city, you have an entirely different set of decisions to make. We have a lot of very different and very nice suburbs to chose from. Where to chose depends on your commute tolerance and priorities.

Rent downtown is very expensive for Michigan. Midtown has more available, so you can find some decent deals. But if you want to live where the excitement is, you will pay a premium.

Outside the City only the nicest suburbs are in the Detroit price range. You get something completely different in various ways, but not the excitement of downtown living. By way of example, in our town there is a one bedroom condo for rent for $750. about the same as midtown, maybe a little less. Grosse Ile is one of the nicest suburbs, but it is an entirely different lifestyle from the City. Quiet, clean forestry, boaty, slow paced, small townish, super safe, awesome schools, kind of a high end summer camp or country club type atmosphere.

As you step down to less nice/safe/popular suburbs you can get a lot more house for the same amount of money. Then it goes back up if you start talking about waterfront. I saw a five bedroom house for 41800 a month in one of the less popular downriver cities. I cannot remember which one, but it may have been Wyandotte. I also have a friend who has a super nice 2 or 3 BR condo on the water (with a dock) in Wyandotte that he rents out for $2500 a month. Wyandotte is a neat city with a fun little downtown. It is cheaper because the schools do not do as well and the crime rate is slightly higher than some to the top suburbs. However it would be a fun place to live if you could walk downtown.

Step down to a bland suburb and you can cut the rent by 40% or get a bigger place with land for the same price. Get out tot he exurbs and you may get into acreage with a farmhouse for the same $.
Are rents really that cheap in Midtown?

The average 1-BR in Denver goes for over $1,000/mo.

What I mean by that is that it would be significant cost savings, which is kinda the point of our move (among other things).

Old 01-10-2019, 07:10 AM

28,559 posts, read 67,794,922 times
You can find a 1br for $650 in midtown. You can find 2br for $1500 sometimes less (https://www.apartmenthomeliving.com/...-48201-1968430). It will be small and not in a new or nice apartment building, but they are out there. my son is making plans to rent an apartment for next year. However he will likely share with friends. Share a 2 BR with 4 friends and you pay $375 a month and it is still nicer than the dorms. Given the squeeze three people into his tiny dorm room, they could share a 2 Br between six people and it would be about $175 a month and still be nicer quarters than the dorm since the would have the common area to use as well.

Downtown is more expensive than mid-town, probably because of limited supply and a wealthier demand base. However it is still not crazy expensive. Look at the Stott building for an example. This is the newest big tower that was recently restored and converted to apartments. 2 BR are $2500 - $3000 and that is about the hottest place to rent right now. In other words that is the high end of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit