U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 09:43 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,940,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sort of a heads up on your issue in general. We also moved closer to my aging parents. We are about an hour drive way. At first it worked out well. We visited each other frequently. Now Dad is older and Mom is gone. An hour is too far for him to drive. I try to visit him once or twice a week, but often I can only stay for an hour or less. That means i am driving two hours round trip for a one hour or less visit. Even when I stay for several hours, it is still a lot of driving for a little visiting.

Yes, you can stay for a weekend or a few days, but what we found is no one ever has time for that. We have our own commitments for most weekends. I tried to set Sunday afternoons aside to go visit Dad, but it is not always practical to do so. We meed him for dinner on Wednesdays at a restaurant in between us, that helps but it is still often more time driving than visiting.

The bottom line is I wish we had moved closer to Mom and Dad. It was great when they were younger and could visit us as often or more often than we visited them. However now that Dad is limited to short driving trips, our visits are limited to when I can visit him. An hour drive is too far for that to be practical more than a few times a month, or if there is a crises.

Ann Arbor is an awfully long way from Grand Rapids.
Those are all good points. When my parents were in the twilight of their years they moved back to Michigan from AZ where all 3 sons live in Ann Arbor. They bought a condo on the west side of Ypsilanti that was a 10 minute drive from my house. It really made it very easy for the three of us to help them out the doctor appointments, errands, etc, not to mention regular family gatherings.
We were lucky that they moved to us rather than the other way around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 10:02 AM

1,978 posts, read 2,878,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexy11 View Post
We do have an office in Ann Arbor though, so I'm hoping to try and keep my job when I move, and having an office where I'm moving would make it more likely I could keep my job.

I was also thinking maybe it would be cool to live in a city that is on the rise after a long decline, but maybe I've underestimated how much climbing Detroit has to go? I am curious to hear from people who actually live in the city, but this may not be the right place to find them....
If you want to stay with your company in its Ann Arbor office, but live in a city that is on the rise, than consider Ypsilanti. It is a college/industrial town about 10 minutes east of Ann Arbor.

If you are still really motivated on Detroit, than I would look into Southwest Detroit/Mexicantown. It has a plethora of Mexican restaurants, markets, and bakeries, plus new places popping up recently like a tiki bar, Vietnamese restaurant, and techno club. It is slightly closer to Ann Arbor than downtown/midtown Detroit is. I am not aware of any coffee shop in the area, but there was a real nice one that closed a few years ago.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:45 AM

1,978 posts, read 2,878,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
There are plenty of places that meet that and plenty that don't. Its not a regional thing so much as a city size and density thing.

From my house in SE Ann Arbor , with 2 bad hips and 1 bad knee I can walk to a Rite aid, Subway, 2 bars, 4 ethnic grocery stores, bike shop, tattoo parlor, medical Marijuana shop, laundromat and more.
Within a mile and a half, which may stretch the definition of walk-able I couldn't list how many retail places there are. Now for coffee, from my house a Starbucks is 1.5 miles. But there are dozens of houses within 1000 feet of that Starbucks and 50 other stores.

Again walk-ability can be found in many places but not every neighborhood within a given location meets the definition. The bigger the city, the denser the population the more coffee shops per square mile.

There is a house across the street from me for sale....a quite cul-d-sac , a 5-6 minute walk from from 2 major bus lines.......its a small 3 bedroom (about 950 square feet) 1.5 bath, asking $240,000

I don’t understand why you are so resistant to embrace the definition of walkable as is commonly understood. The OP would have to clarify further what exactly he seeks. A community being walkable is more than just being walking distance to commercial establishments. With the exception of rural areas, the vast majority of all housing in the U.S. is within a mile walk of some commercial establishment. If all of these establishments are in strip malls fronted by large parking lots or in big box stores - This is not what is meant by “walkable”, as most people on city-data forum understand it.

When somebody says walkable, almost always they are referring to walking distance to an older mixed-used commercial strips like a Depot Town in Ypsilanti, a Downtown East Dearborn, a Vernor Highway in Mexicantown -These type of strips seem to create a sense of community and an opportunity to engage with people and do people-watching that you just can’t get with strip mall/big box store structured society. And these areas are easy to walk around and to get from one establishment to another, as opposed to dodging cars in a strip mall or big box store’s parking lot/driveway. Outside of the downtown and university, Ann Arbor is not walkable, no matter how many stand-alone, parking lot-fronted Starbucks are within walking distance to cul-de-sacs.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:23 PM

24 posts, read 21,058 times
Thanks for that Coldjensens. Obviously it's something I think about. From my perspective, a couple hours drive is a lot shorter than a 6 hour flight and having to spend a week sitting around my mom's house, etc. But in the other hand, yes, it's not very close. Right now, my gut is telling me the culture shock of relocating to grand rapids as opposed to relocating to Detroit is what's keeping me from moving to grand rapids instead.

You guys have given me a lot of food for thought! At the moment, I'm leaning toward moving to an apt. in or around Ann Arbor, where my company has an office - assuming they will allow me to relocate. And then once I'm on the ground, figure out what I should do next. My parents are in their 70s and mostly doing well. I just want to be nearer to them than I was the last 25 years and am not affected by what a spouse wants or worry about moving kids, etc. Plus I'm sick of the cost of living in CA, so I figure now is the time to move!

Old 03-13-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I don’t understand why you are so resistant to embrace the definition of walkable as is commonly understood. The OP would have to clarify further what exactly he seeks. A community being walkable is more than just being walking distance to commercial establishments. With the exception of rural areas, the vast majority of all housing in the U.S. is within a mile walk of some commercial establishment. If all of these establishments are in strip malls fronted by large parking lots or in big box stores - This is not what is meant by “walkable”, as most people on city-data forum understand it.

When somebody says walkable, almost always they are referring to walking distance to an older mixed-used commercial strips like a Depot Town in Ypsilanti, a Downtown East Dearborn, a Vernor Highway in Mexicantown -These type of strips seem to create a sense of community and an opportunity to engage with people and do people-watching that you just can’t get with strip mall/big box store structured society. And these areas are easy to walk around and to get from one establishment to another, as opposed to dodging cars in a strip mall or big box store’s parking lot/driveway. Outside of the downtown and university, Ann Arbor is not walkable, no matter how many stand-alone, parking lot-fronted Starbucks are within walking distance to cul-de-sacs.
You consider "walkable" essentially "getting your hipster on"....a coffee shop or 6, a microbrewery and beads and tofu shop. I measure walkable by how many day to day things I can do while leaving my car at home. I can add to my earlier list my primary care physician and my dentist. The only difference between my walkable and your walkable is whether cars park in front or behind a business.
I lived 4 blocks from your Ypsilanti depot town link for 6 years. I walked my dog at Frog Island I went to Aubrees when it was still The Alibi, my oldest daughter was born when I lived on River St 2 houses in from Forest. Overall I can get more done walking out my front door now than I could walking out the front door of that River Street house today. That is what walkable is to me....can I walk to do things instead of driving.
I'm not sure why you insist on telling me my version is wrong because its different than yours.

I get down to Depot Town (Ypsilanti) several times a year...I love Aubree's pizza. Depot town is a hopping madhouse of activity on weekend evenings. One thing 99% of those folks have in common....they got there in car, they didn't walk.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Those look OK. The one in Ypsilanti has some stores... the other two look a bit... I didn't see many places of business except a few doctor's offices in East Dearborn. Obviously, Google Maps can't give me a really good idea. I just really need to remember SE Michigan is spread out and nothing like Chicago, Philly, or SF.

I know I wasn't the OP, but for what it's worth, I meant walkable as sidewalks, not massive parking lots, or at least a mix.

I'm not by any means a hipster, but there is a difference between Starbucks and a local coffee place. SF has done a really good job of actually keeping big box stores out of some parts of the city, which, at least with coffee places, allows for a bit of a mix, and not just Starbucks. Of course, rent is becoming so high here that every day there's another news story of a long-established restaurant/coffee place/etc. forced to close because their rent increased by 50% or whatever...

Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,386 times
Have you considered one of the Grosse Pointes? We moved 5 years ago from DC. The area is extremely walkable, beautiful views of the lake St Clair, great schools. We love the sense of community we get here. Sure you come across some D-bags but for the most part there's a ton of good eggs. 20mins tops from down town, 10 to Costco ,15 to Roseville target. The shopping isn't as accessable as Hall Rd areas but it's also not a parking lot around here, lots of tall trees makes it easy to forget everyday stresses.
You can get a home starting around $89,000 all the way to 9.5 million. Taxes are a higher but the crime rate is low.
Good luck on your search.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbreann View Post
Have you considered one of the Grosse Pointes? We moved 5 years ago from DC. The area is extremely walkable, beautiful views of the lake St Clair, great schools. We love the sense of community we get here. Sure you come across some D-bags but for the most part there's a ton of good eggs. 20mins tops from down town, 10 to Costco ,15 to Roseville target. The shopping isn't as accessable as Hall Rd areas but it's also not a parking lot around here, lots of tall trees makes it easy to forget everyday stresses.
You can get a home starting around $89,000 all the way to 9.5 million. Taxes are a higher but the crime rate is low.
Good luck on your search.
Thanks! I have considered it, but since I might be working in Ann Arbor, the commute would be bad. However, it could work. I wonder how long it takes to get from there to Ann Arbor during rush hour. Could it be worse than the hour plus it currently takes me to go 18 miles in SF? Ha!

Old 03-14-2019, 12:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,508,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexy11 View Post
Thanks! I have considered it, but since I might be working in Ann Arbor, the commute would be bad. However, it could work. I wonder how long it takes to get from there to Ann Arbor during rush hour. Could it be worse than the hour plus it currently takes me to go 18 miles in SF? Ha!
Yea the commute to Ann Arbor would kill you. For walkable communities with a good commute other then Ann Arbor/ Ypsi. I would look into Northville, Plymouth, Farmington, Wayne, Dearborn is pushing it but it has the largest walkable community in that part of the metro area.

You could also look downriver too as they have a few walkable communities and many parts of downriver have a similar street layout to Detroit's street grid. I don't know much about downriver but I have noticed how many neighborhoods have a more city feel then many other suburbs.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:01 PM

Most every Friday my wife drives from SE Ann Arbor to Grosse Pointe Farms to babysit grand-kids.
When she leaves A2 at 8 AM, late in the morning rush hour its about 60-65 minutes.
When traffic is light, like Sunday its about 55 minutes.
If she leaves Grosses Pointe Farms during the heat of rush hour to get home it can take 75-80 minutes.
Its about 50 miles.

However we are entering "Orange Barrel Season" when road construction begins. that can change a commute a lot if they are working you major route.

If you are working in Ann Arbor you should look to live here. You can apply your savings in commuting toward the slightly higher cost of rent.

Last edited by craig11152; 03-14-2019 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit