U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 12:25 AM

65 posts, read 190,162 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - i’m Moving to the Troy area for a job. I need help with finding the best schools for my kids . They are 10,8, and 6 years of age. Education is my top priority. I’m open to the surrounding areas including. Rochester Hills, Bloomfield, etc.. anything less than 30 minutes from Troy where I will be working is fair game.

Please chime in with your expertise and experience and recommend the best schools that I should move to.

Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 12:28 PM

2,139 posts, read 1,521,196 times
Troy, Rochester Hills, Bloomfield Hills are all very good school systems. If education is your top priority you will be fine in several systems in the area. The biggest key to success is expectations from home.
Troy and Bloomfield Hills will be very highly ranked in almost any list.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:55 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,308,853 times
The school districts in and around Troy are some of the best in the state.

Troy, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Rochester school districts are all within the "top-10" of public school districts in the state and have all of the academics, extracurricular activities, parental involvement, and parents that place a priority on education.
All of the fundamentals exist for your children to be successful in any of these districts.

That said a few things to keep in mind:
- School district boundaries don't necessarily align with municipal boundaries due to the way the region developed; e.g, parts of Troy on the fringes go to other surrounding districts, Birmingham school district covers a large swath of other cities like Beverly Hills, parts of Bloomfield Twp, Franklin, etc.)
- Parental involvement and placing a priority on education is a far better enabler of success than the school district attended
- Housing budget, community, type of housing preference e.g,. size/style, proximity to other amenities should heavily weigh into your decision about which area is best for your lifestyle

Old 03-17-2019, 11:15 PM

Thanks - i’m also interested to know which cities/town are more or less diverse than others. I’m Chinese and would love to be in a community that is more diverse with a Chinese American church

Thanks

Old 03-18-2019, 07:44 AM

28,921 posts, read 68,878,220 times
If you can afford to live in Bloomfield Hills, then you may want to look at Cranbrook school for your kids. It is an expensive private school. it is ranked as one of the better schools in the USA.

However, Troy and Rochester have great schools. West Bloomfield also has very good schools.

If you want diverse population: Ann Arbor, Ferndale, Novi are probably your best bet that I can think of. True diversity is very hard to find. It is getting better in all communities, but there still is very little actual diversity. People from the same culture seem to just naturally cluster together. It is not always in a single town, often it will be in an area rather than one specific town. Meaning part of one town, part of another and maybe including some part of a third. Also there can be pockets in multiple places distant form each other.

Michigan tends to be very segregated. People tend to cluster in groups based on their heritage and wealth. India people here and here, Jewish people there, Polish people in this area, Mexican and Latin Americans in another area. For example Hispanics tend to cluster in Southwest Detroit, Indian people in Canton, African Americans are mostly in a few specific cities and tend to be a small minority in others, polish people are now pretty spread out but still somewhat concentrated downriver. They used to be heavily in Hamtrammack, but that is now another group - Chaldean I think but I might be mis-remembering what group is most prevalent there now. Middle Eastern People concentrate in and around Dearborn. I expect there is an area where Chinese people tend to congregate, I just do not know where it is. My brother's wife is Korean and spends all of her time involved in the Korean community (West Bloomfield and nearby areas). I can ask here if she knows if there is a Chinese American area. She is a lot more connected with where various cultures tend to congregate than I am. I would guess probably parts of Novi, but I am not sure.

What would be helpful to people trying to help you would be to prioritize. Which is most important to least important to you?

1. Highly Rated Public School.
2. Highly rated private schools.
3. Diverse population.
4. Concentration of Chinese people.

Also what is your price range? Bloomfield Hills for example is mostly populated by Multi-millionaires and the housing prices reflect this (although there are some parts affordable to upper middle class).

Generally, the school ratings and the wealth of the area correlate.

Some of the places with better rated public schools are also some of the most expensive:

Bloomfield Hills. Birmingham. Troy. Rochester. Northville. Novi.

Next tier but still excellent schools:
South Lyon/Lyon township. Grosse Ile. Plymouth Canton. Grosse Pointe (South). Huron township. Detroit Renaissance High (but you are pretty much going to need private school before High school). West Bloomfield. Walled Lake.

Still quite good schools:
Livonia. Milford. Royal Oak. Trenton.

Ann Arbor is a mix, but most of their schools are top notch.

I am missing lots because I am tired and not spending a lot of time on this.

I do not put a lot of weight on school rankings. Different schools will be better or worse for different kids. The top ranked school is not always the best for your particular kid.

For example, Grosse Ile where I live has great schools but they are not in the top of most rankings. However the school is small. All the teachers end up knowing all the kids and nearly all of the kids end up knowing each other. Being small, they cannot offer as wide a variety of programs as a school of several thousand students. Also Grosse ile is not very diverse at all. It is mostly upper middle and wealthy families. Mostly white. The primary source of diversity comes from an extensive exchange student program (one year we had something like 30 kids from China, but they were still definitely in a minority and it did not work out well because they tended to hang out together and talk in Chinese and many of them ended up being pretty much ignored by the other kids. A few mingled more and integrated and were highly regarded, but they had to make a big effort to leave their comfort zone. Most did not.).

Of our five kids. One was better off in a super competitive atmosphere because she is very competitive. Her twin sister, does better in a more relaxed atmosphere. Next daughter would have done better in a larger school with more of a fringe of society population (that is who she likes to hang out with). Son #1 better off in a smaller school where he can shine and rise to the top. Son #2 probably would have been better off in a school that is both more competitive and larger. It is hard to say because he had the luxury of growing up with the same group of about 160 kids from Kindergarten forward. There is a lot to be said for that. However for our oldest kids, it was difficult coming into a high school where pretty much everyone else had been together since kindergarten.

Our experience with more diverse schools was not good (we used to live in California). The various cultural backgrounds at the schools tended to divide into cliques and pick on the other groups. Our Girls were a minority in the public schools they attended and more than once were surrounded by groups of other races chanting "Rich little white B*itch. " until they were rescued by a teacher. Our other kids went to a private school that was primarily kids from other countries (mostly Chinese/Asian). They were not mistreated, but not welcomed in the cliques. Their friends were the few Anglo Americans at the school with a couple of exceptions. They were simply ignored by the majority groups. Friends of ours who had kids in other diverse schools in California encountered the same issues. One high school had two completely different high schools. The mostly Hispanic kids hung out in a certain area, and took certain classes together while the white (and Asian) kids hung out elsewhere and took different classes together. Our friends kids had no real interaction at all with the Hispanic kids at their school except for a few hostile encounters when they got cornered alone. When we moved to Michigan I was not particularly interested in searching for schools based on diversity. High-school kids are too young to handle diversity well in my opinion. They seem to clique up and promote hatred and bullying of each other. Probably there are places where that is not the case. I have not found them.

However if you want diversity in Schools, Ann Arbor, then Novi are probably your best bet. You also need to define what you consider diversity. Some people say it is only a matter of the numbers of Black students and those identified as "White" (including Asians and Hispanics). Some are less concerned about skin color but want diversity of cultural heritage or economic diversity (virtually impossible to find). Others think a school must reflect the same percentages of each culture that the USA has in general. (pretty much impossible to find as well).

So, when you say you want diversity, please explain what you mean. Diversity of what? What kind of diversity? Are you mostly looking for a lot of Chinese people? Do you want a mix of White, Black Asian, middle eastern etc? Economic diversity?

Last edited by Coldjensens; 03-18-2019 at 08:10 AM..

Old 03-18-2019, 08:24 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,960,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1412 View Post
Thanks - i’m also interested to know which cities/town are more or less diverse than others. I’m Chinese and would love to be in a community that is more diverse with a Chinese American church

Thanks
I live in Novi, and there are quite a few Chinese Americans/Chinese expats who live here and send their kids to the public schools. The community and schools are extremely diverse by Michigan standards. However, Novi to Troy is definitely more than a 30 minute commute during rush hour.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:22 AM

I've narrowed down to Troy, Rochester Hills, and Bloomfield Hills school district. Definitely not a multi-millionaire so Bloomfield Hills may be eliminated based on prior poster comments.

Any thoughts on Oakland Township area?. The property addresses I'm interested in shows the following schools. Would this be a good choice

Property #1
Elementary: Baldwin Elementary
Middle: Hart Middle School
High: Stoney Creek High School

Property #2
Elementary: Delta Kelly Elementary
Middle: Van Hoosen Middle School
High: Rochester Adams High School

Thanks in advance

Old 03-18-2019, 09:44 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,226,523 times
If I were you, I would contact the Chinese churches and ask for recommendations. They may answer your questions directly or refer you to some other church members for advice. I know there is one church in Farmington Hills where neighbors were very involved, but that isn't convenient to Troy.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:14 AM

28,921 posts, read 68,878,220 times
Rochester Adams is a great school statistically. I do not know about anything about Stoney Creek.

I strongly suggest you visit the schools extensively and hang out int eh areas you are considering. Visit a local cafe or whatever you can find and talk to everyone you can find. (do not just go by the opinions of the first person who will talk to you. Many people have rose glasses or sour grapes viewpoints that are not realistic).

When we were looking at schools, I was sometimes shocked by what I found when visiting cm pared to how the school looked statistically.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:21 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,308,853 times
Those are all excellent schools and honestly you can't go wrong with anything in Rochester School district.

However, one thing to keep in mind up in that area is the commute times from your potential home to the schools and to work. Oakland Twp is quite spread out, still have many dirt roads in places and you may easily be 20+ minutes plus from the high school. Sometime to consider when you have to play parent taxi for activities and whatnot.

Also, you may also really want to look at your commute to work, depending on what part of Rochester / Oakland Twp you are looking in and what part of Troy you will be working at.

1) Rochester Road from Troy all the up through downtown Rochester to Tieken is a congested and slow mess during peak rush. You could easily be looking at 45-60 minutes from southern Troy to up that way.

2) I-75 will be undergoing a major reconstruction project all through Troy for the next 2 years and that is going to significantly snarl traffic through all of Troy. Closing a number of exits, down to two lanes in each direction, etc. That will be a commuting nightmare in the short-term and is going to push a lot more traffic to the mile-road and roads like Rochester, Livernois, Crooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit