Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 10:11 AM

171 posts, read 188,668 times

Advertisements

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/4/10...ancy-rate-fall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 10:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
It would be pretty easy to convert the office towers that were converted to condos, back into offices.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 AM

171 posts, read 188,668 times
I hope they consider that. The more bodies living downtown and the surrounding area, the better.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:59 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It would be pretty easy to convert the office towers that were converted to condos, back into offices.
As condos are they empty? If not empty how are you proposing to take back property?
If they are empty how come? I thought things were booming in the city core.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:54 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
"lack of Class A office space in Detroit, which is defined by the Building Owners and Managers Association as “high quality standard finishes, state of the art systems, exceptional accessibility"

Corporations want more of a rare item. I want more dry weather in spring.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
As condos are they empty? If not empty how are you proposing to take back property?
If they are empty how come? I thought things were booming in the city core.

The sell out before the projects are finished. Some are empty, some not. Many get bought and then used only occasionally. Apartments sell out faster and are generally occupied, although some of the more high end apartments are just kept for company use as well. I am not sure how the Stott is doing. Stott is the latest monster tower to come online. I do not know when the move in dates were or are but it does not appear to be fully occupied.

It is a question of demand. If the demand for class A office space gets big enough, it will be worthwhile to convert apartments or buy out condos and convert back to office space.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:55 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The sell out before the projects are finished. Some are empty, some not. Many get bought and then used only occasionally. Apartments sell out faster and are generally occupied, although some of the more high end apartments are just kept for company use as well. I am not sure how the Stott is doing. Stott is the latest monster tower to come online. I do not know when the move in dates were or are but it does not appear to be fully occupied.

It is a question of demand. If the demand for class A office space gets big enough, it will be worthwhile to convert apartments or buy out condos and convert back to office space.
At that point I think the best bet would be to just build new buildings. It would still be cheaper than the type of "commercial gentrification" you're referring to. I'm not sure what examples are out there of office to loft conversions, converting back into office. Either way Dan Gilbert and Bedrock have a whole bunch of new Class A office in the pipeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: